Notices

A Porsche for a Young Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:09 PM
thegroceryclerk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Porsche for a Young Enthusiast

Let me begin by introducing myself. I'm a 17 year old student who absolutely loves Porsches. Now don't get me wrong here, I don't love looking at them, I love driving them. My dad has a 911 Targa...(as well as a BMW M3) which I have the absolute happiness to commonly drive...

While the 911 Targa (1978) is extremely lesser powered compared to the '96 E36 upgraded M3, I find the 911 at least ten times more fun to drive...I think its in the challenge that lies therein. For example the very springy clutch, merely power assist steering, and other small quirks seem to make this 911 the lovable challenge of the day. The M3 is all out performance, and I've yet to see a flaw when driving it. It has not slipped up once...maybe I just don't trust it yet, maybe that is it.

But herein lies the real question and purpose for which I address this post...

I consider myself a Porsche, and moreover a European car enthusiast, I need all I can get...at all times. Right now I'm stickin' with the mother country, with a VW GTI VR6. But lately I've been browsing the classifieds for a nice, very gently used Porsche. With this there are two choices basically, that I would go for.

It is probably the debated, and subjective question of the 944 vs. the 928. (I tried a search but to avail on contrasting the two) I'm a very concious driver, never had an accident (I guess my driving career is still in preliminary years, though) I am no stranger to Power, and am not one to abuse it. (Of course I would USE it though...its what a Porsche is made for.) And finally, I'm well aware of the maintenance, and post-buying upkeep required of an older, or any for that matter, Porsche. I'm also aware that a good many of these, are not daily drivers, by all means, or at least shouldn't be used in such a manner...if one's wallet wants to stay intact. So anyways, I'll stop blundering on and pose the question,

944 or 928? - Price Range: Up to 8 grand.
Years: Any
Power: Any
Fun: All!

Edit: Oh, and if you read my posts in the 928 forum concerning a '78 928 euro I nearly bought, the outcome was that the seller wouldn't allow a PPI! He said in the past it hasn't been worth his time! Forget that...
Old 09-21-2004, 09:31 AM
A Grabau
Track Day

Allow myself to introduce myself my name is English. Get the 944 and prepare to spend more on upkeep than on performance modification. I have to wonder if it's really worth getting into a car that you might not be able to afford just because it's a Porsche. Stick with the GTI until you can really afford drive and own a newer Porsche. You'll probably find the VR6 more capable in most situations than any 25 year old car, including the 928.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:47 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to mention your insurance will be crazy high priced...
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 AM
rushSC
Advanced

I agree...I'm 22 and every single insurance quote I get is scary!! I can't wait 'til I'm 25.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 AM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude, PM me and I'll help you get that VR6 to blow the doors off of just about any P-car with enough change to go to Amsterdam for a week. Hehehe trust me as the guys who went on the Glendora run with me a month ago know (I'm building my Carrera 3.2 so I took my GTI). you can have cheaper tags, up keep and insurance by staying with the VW, plus the cool sleeper factor. I started out with VW's and the GTI VR6 is a winner, the VR6 was originally designed as a diesel, thats why they take 450HP without ever coming apart. EIP TUNING has a 600 WHP R32 that is just nasty. if you get a P-car unless your parents are loaded or you have no bills and a good high school job, repair bills are very expensive for even run of the mill things (especially 928's).
Old 09-23-2004, 12:30 AM
thegroceryclerk
Intermediate

I have a pretty solid job, and a good amount saved...Yeah I do love the VR, its a fun car, I know all about the turbos and SCs you can run on 'em and the power you can get, just looking for something different...
Old 09-23-2004, 03:55 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

get a 912
Old 09-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

You probably wont get GOOD 928 for the 8k range. Maybe. At least not a later model. 944 is the best way to go. Its not just cheap, it actually is an amazing car that offers plenty of enjoyment!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:31 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

944 turbo or 944 S2 for 8K will get you a nice one. Upkeep is high, enjoyment is higher! I got mine when i was 19.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: A Porsche for a Young Enthusiast