Notices
View Poll Results: As a Porsche owner/enthusiast, this is my educational background (kept Anonymous)
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
13.46%
Associate Degree or Technical Certification
14.42%
Four Year College Graduate
33.65%
Post Graduate
17.31%
Professional/Terminal Degree (Phd, JD, MD, etc..)
21.15%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Who drives a Porsche??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Collegeguy04
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who drives a Porsche??

I’m just curious, what is the typical career/education level of a person who drives a Porsche, and what psychological stimulation does it provide?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:34 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey folks...........Looks like we've got another fisherman here .

Don't get me started .

Old 09-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Collegeguy04
AutoX

fisherman? nah, just a college student with aspirations of owning a Porsche someday. Ignore the "intellectual" jargin, just trying to see if my thousands of dollars of tuition are paying off!
Old 09-19-2004, 02:39 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

I take it this is for a paper or project? You will find that many different people drive Porsches. I bought mine when I was 15 for $800. My dad and I have spent the last 3 years restoring it and now it is almost exactly how I want it. I'm not wealthy, I just love cars and have spent a lot of my time learning how to work on it myself and restore it. Psychological stimulation...I would say all of the people on this forum just love to drive, and Porsche makes cars are extremely fun to drive. Many people will just go out on a drive for the fun of it, some of my friends see this as being weird when I do it. There are people however who do not care to be on this forum and others like it because they bought their Porsche for the name on the badge and it's "status". I bought mine because it looks cool and to me is a kick-*** car.

edit: The "general" forum never moves this fast...okay, so not for a paper.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:00 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I didn't notice the "intellectual" jargin, guess that's what threw me.

Now thats funny......Good luck!
Old 09-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Collegeguy04
AutoX

Talking

ah ya, have fun with the new guy, unfortunately I think this is still a sweet forum, so you might have to put up with my posting abilities, or lack there of. Anyways, I'm hoping to get a nice job offer and signing bonus after I graduate, so I can get one of those Carreras I have my eye on. I'm thinking the color yellow, maybe.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Control It
Instructor

I am proud to say I am a High School dropout.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:10 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by controlit

Just your average guy that seen his car in a parking lot for sale. Fell in love and bought it. I've been through heaven and hell with this car and there is no way i'd ever give it up.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:11 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

and so was Bill Gates !
Old 09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Me too. I got grade 9. I did go back to University after working labor jobs for 5 yrs. I was a Chemical Engineer for 7 years after I finished and now I have a computer networking and security company that employs 14 people.

My motto: Aspire to be the best at whatever you do and the money will follow. I don't have a very expensive Carrera but I paid for it with cash and no sacrifices. My cab is not only fun to drive & turns many heads but it happens to be the cheapest car I have ever owned.

Last edited by CN; 09-20-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:15 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Y.S
and so was Bill Gates !

Actually...I belive Bill dropped out of college (a small school named Harvard). From what I remember, he made a decent living playing poker....he was quite famous for that (the poker) at the time.

Last edited by p_carfan; 09-20-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Collegeguy04
AutoX

Why do we keep doing threads/polls on "what is the best Porsche?", even Porsche corp. states that the Carrera GT is their most prized innovation (probably why it is the most expensive model). If I was Bill Gates this baby would definitely be one of the toys in my ten car garage.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Moogle
Race Car

because the 'best porsche' is not neccesarily the newest most expensive model

'porsche corp' as you so eloquently put it, hypes that model up because they have to, not that its hype, but you get the idea. it wouldn't look good if they weren't paying much fanfare to their halo supercar...

to give you the benifit of the doubt and answer your question

I'm 18, about to buy my 2nd porsche in as many years, (after a 4 month ordering wait).

it is unfair to pidgeonhole porsche owners, (as with anything else) with the criteria you provided,

that said, you will find that porsche owners are as diverse as any other, however, they all share at least a few common idiosyncrasies

1. an uncompromising attitude twoards their cars
2. the love of driving and the belief that driving is an enjoyable activity in itself
3. smart enough to buy the only car in the world that can combine real world usability and reliability with prestige that can match the best of em.

Tom
Old 09-20-2004, 09:08 PM
strupgolf
Advanced

You're all correct. I just bought my first Porsche 911, widebody, slantnose, after a lifetime of muscle cars, sports car, luxury cars, and everyday cars. But ever since I walked to high school in Coral Gables Fl. in the mid-sixties, right past a sports car dealer who had Porsches, Abarths, Ferrari's, I was hooked on the mark ever since. I almost bought one after I first go married, but my wife got in the way. I own a Jaguar now, nice, and a long good history behind them, but a good XKE is hard to find and very expensive. And really, the good jags are the 2 door sports cars, not the newer 4 door's. So after looking for awhile, I took the plunge and bought it. The thrill of driving it was great, until I put it in the shop for a few items, and I have not got it back yet, this friday is
d-day. I think the heritage is very important to me, and with such a great group of friends I havent even met yet on the net, I cant wait for what/s to come.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:51 PM
thegroceryclerk
Intermediate

The first time I drove a 911 was two months into my Driver's Permit.

My dad was in the car with me, it was a 1978 911 Targa. I took the car up to 115 on the Highway and I was completely hooked on Porsches forever.

I'm 17 now and sadly only drive a volkswagen gti vr6. I've been eyeing local porsches though, and nearly bought a 928...

once you drive a porsche, 99.9% of the time you'll be hooked, thats my take it doesn't have to be the fastest, twin-turboest (a word? nay) porsche around, at least not for me...its just the pure fun of driving it, and the absolutely spectacular ride that porsche offers...even if it IS 26 years old.

Quick Reply: Who drives a Porsche??