Notices

Port of Baltimore bridge struck by freighter, collapses

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 08:31 AM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Port of Baltimore bridge struck by freighter, collapses

This morning, a shipping freighter struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which carries I-695, causing the entire bridge to collapse and sending “at least” 7 people in cars into the water.

For those of waiting for cars from the Port of Baltimore, it might be a while. Let’s hope everyone is okay.

Last edited by whatsshakin; 03-26-2024 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:42 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

The VAG port quays are south of the bridge and may not have been impacted depending on what the port authority chooses to do with inbound traffic. This topic is also being covered in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1123...n-in-1308.html

The following 2 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
nyca (03-26-2024), whatsshakin (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:48 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 980 Likes on 548 Posts

This is bad stuff. Baltimore is the biggest roll on/roll off port in the country, which is what the car carriers need. It's not just access to the docks, the car transporters probably have to use that bridge also to move product - and its gone now, and rebuilding it will take 2+ years I imagine. VAG better start looking for some berths in NJ.

This is going to affect the entire US economy.

Last edited by nyca; 03-26-2024 at 10:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EXFIB (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:55 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,467 Likes on 1,214 Posts

NJ ports today

Fracture (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:57 AM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
This is bad stuff. Baltimore is the biggest roll on/roll off port in the country, which is what the car carriers need. It's not just access to the docks, the car transporters probably have to use that bridge also to move product - and its gone now, and rebuilding it will take 2+ years I imagine. VAG better start looking for some berths in NJ.

I imagine the cleanup would be fairly quick since initial reports say there's no oil/environmental damage. Sparrows Point will be the least affected of the 3 ports inside the Port of Baltimore; it's going to be issues surrounding the bridge and how product get moved. My 992 is arriving in Baltimore next week, so we will see what the impact is to delivery. 695 is literally a circle, so at a minimum they can just go the long-way round (probably adds an hour or two, not accounting for the increase in traffic).

I really hope everyone on that bridge is okay (I know they're not). I've driven across that bridge multiple times before, this unlocked a new fear for me.

Last edited by whatsshakin; 03-26-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:59 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 1,020 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca

I think focusing on loss of life vs potential economic fallout is probably priority.
The following 2 users liked this post by Icegrill:
mrhan (03-29-2024), whatsshakin (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 11:17 AM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 136 Posts

It's a pipe dream to think that anything will be coming near Baltimore for quite some time.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:19 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,467 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
I think focusing on loss of life vs potential economic fallout is probably priority.
2 people rescued so far. Hopefully more today.
Icegrill (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 11:43 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 186 Posts

Old 03-26-2024, 12:43 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

How does this even happen in today's world? Sad all around.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:30 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jason95R
How does this even happen in today's world? Sad all around.
Ships in the Port of Baltimore are required to be piloted by a local trained pilot, who has at least 5 years experience, a degree from a maritime merchants academy (or equivalent). They meet all inbound ships at the mouth of the Chesapeake and pilot them to/from their docks. This one had 2 pilots onboard. Apparently there were power issues (seen in the horrid crash video), and a distress call went out 6 minutes before the crash occurred. Transit officials were able to block off the bridge during those 6 minutes, minimizing the amount of vehicles onboard the bridge -- but there were DOT employees repairing the road as well who weren't able to evacuate in time.

It looks like a tragic accident, but it also looks like there were issues with the ship (it had been noted to have issues with its propulsion system, and the owner of the ship declined to comment if they have been resolved. The ship was also involved in a crash in 2016, but had been repaired). I'm not going to speculate on liability, but the cost of this crash is several lives and billions in both repairs and lost opportunity cost.

The Port has halted all maritime traffic, but trucks are still 'being processed' at the port (whatever that means -- assuming cargo trucks picking up product?).

Last edited by whatsshakin; 03-26-2024 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:14 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsshakin
Ships in the Port of Baltimore are required to be piloted by a local trained pilot, who has at least 5 years experience, a degree from a maritime merchants academy (or equivalent). They meet all inbound ships at the mouth of the Chesapeake and pilot them to/from their docks. This one had 2 pilots onboard. Apparently there were power issues (seen in the horrid crash video), and a distress call went out 6 minutes before the crash occurred. Transit officials were able to block off the bridge during those 6 minutes, minimizing the amount of vehicles onboard the bridge -- but there were DOT employees repairing the road as well who weren't able to evacuate in time.

It looks like a tragic accident, but it also looks like there were issues with the ship (it had been noted to have issues with its propulsion system, and the owner of the ship declined to comment if they have been resolved. The ship was also involved in a crash in 2016, but had been repaired). I'm not going to speculate on liability, but the cost of this crash is several lives and billions in both repairs and lost opportunity cost.

The Port has halted all maritime traffic, but trucks are still 'being processed' at the port (whatever that means -- assuming cargo trucks picking up product?).
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like an accident for sure. I didn't realize the ship lost power. Makes a lot more sense now. Prayers to all involved!
Old 03-26-2024, 05:28 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Taken from the 992 specific thread, but Volkswagen released a statement saying they expect minimal impact to their operations:

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Volkswagen on Tuesday said its port operations in Baltimore were unaffected by a local bridge collapse due to the location of its facilities. "We do not anticipate any impact on vessel operations but there may be trucking delays as traffic will be rerouted in the area," the carmaker said in an e-mailed statement.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:45 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 131 Posts

How many 911 Turbos sunk to the bottom of the Ocean 🫡
Old 03-26-2024, 06:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,579 Likes on 2,600 Posts

It's one of the worst bridge disasters in US history. If the collapse had happened at a time when traffic was backed up on the bridge, the loss of life could have been enormous.

Quick Reply: Port of Baltimore bridge struck by freighter, collapses