Notices

Trouble With PCA HQ - Germany Region Fading Away....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There is an interesting write up on the PCA's general positions regarding event insurance in the June edition of Pano.
It does not mention the Germany region but it does describe what is allowed, what is not allowed and what regions have to do to get insurance coverage for an event.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Today the 6th July I think is the big day. I wonder how we will find out what the result is?
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have just been informed by the former acting President of PCA-Germany Region that we are now officially gone.
Retired to the history books.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Les.cook
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the post Adrian. I was waiting for news. I guess I will see you around at non-PCA events?

Les
Old 07-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yep Les you sure will.
Visit us at Sportec in Switzerland on September 11th and 12th.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Not that it matters, but is there any info on how close the vote was?
Sad day..
Old 07-08-2004, 05:04 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been the president of a fairly large motorsport club (380 members), I will say that the politics around motorsport clubs is ridiculous, especially when you have a mothership somewhere. In my organization's case, we had a controlling body that managed our insurance and was under the umbrella of FIA. You can imagine the red tape and levels of decision making.

In the end, I am happy to say that it is very easy to obtain insurance on your own and it's also VERY easy to start up a new club. I would highly recommend starting a new club, "Porsche Club - Europe" or whatever and move on. If you need any help with risk management documents, comparable insurance rates, etc., I would be glad to help.

While you will lose some cool things about PCA (Panorama, etc.), you do gain significant freedom and flexibility being on your own.

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Farzaan
ex-President
VCMC Motorsport Club
www.vcmc.ca
Old 07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Hey Germany PCA guys, maybe you could at least ask them to continue to send Pano to those that might want them. Under the circumstances, it's the least they can do!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thumbs down

Dear Don,
You asked how close the vote was? Well the letter arrived today from the PCA telling us we had been wiped out as a region by 125 votes for withdrawing our charter with 18 opposed to withdrawing our charter.
A new club is being established (if there is sufficient support) in Germany and will be called the American Porsche Club.
I have not yet decided if I will remain a PCA member. Only 6 regions are listed in the letter for us to check out. I assume that these are the only ones interested in taking us refugees in anyway.
It is amazing how 41 years of Porsche ownership and club history just ain't worth a pinch of pooh anymore, especially seeing as the PCA-GR was founded by American Porsche owning military personnel serving in Germany in 1963.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-24-2004, 06:45 PM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

Received my letter as well. I am quitting the PCA and will demand my money back.
Since PCA President Tom "speak with forked tongue" Bobbitt has been nominated for another 2 years, I do not see a possibility to remain in the PCA and serve under a person that I do not respect.
Our Zone 11 rep Botho von Useless was not of any great help either. When things got tough, he got going and was not to be seen (or heard of) again.
During my negotiations with Bobbitt, I became convinced that he did not want to find a solution to the insurance problem. His mind was made up end of 2003 already, it just took a while to put the process through the mill.
Regards
Stef

ex President Germany Region
soon to be ex PCA
Old 07-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Stef,
Are you going to the RUF open day next Saturday (31st July)? Gail and I will be going. We will do our normal trick of driving up Friday, staying in the Alte Post Hotel and then turning up in Pfaffenhausen on Saturday. It is only a 90 minute drive max but the traffic on saturdays at holiday time can be very heavy and not much fun.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

Hi Adrian,
yes, I will be there.
See you on Saturday
Stef
Old 07-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The story of PCA GR is sad. This may sound silly, but is it important that the Club be PCA? Are there not other Porsche Clubs? Why not become part of an existing Porsche Club (PAG sanctioned) or, form PCGR if one does not exist.

I understand the insurance issue and I know that PCA now has an expert on board to advise them. I suspect the company providing PCA coverage has no interest (and perhaps may not be allowed) to provide coverage in the EU. I would not be too hard on Tom Bobbit, I suspect he's as frustrated as anyone.

That having been said, insurance coverage is available in Europe from companies who are accustomed to dealing in the EU. The cost is probably less than in the USA because the environment is less litigious.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Bob,
No it is not important to be part of the PCA. It was important to be part of something that met the needs of the expatriate and local Porsche owners. I was part of something that was important to me and the other members. The fact that it was PCA meant we had an even wider circle of colleagues in North America.
No Porsche club of Germany regions anywhere outside of Germany.
PCA-GR was not just a region of the PCA it was a diverse community uniting peoples from all over the world who lived in Europe with something we all had in common, "Porsche".
Yeah we can go elsewhere and we will. Our community will now break up and that is very sad. The insurance issue was just an excuse in my opinion anyway. I do not believe that anyone at PCA HQ is losing sleep over this. The vote was not exactly close, 125 to 18.
No more Euro involvement in the PCA! I would think this may make a lot of people very happy indeed.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 07-27-2004, 11:42 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is a pathetic move by pca - makes me a bit embarassed to be a member. the GR should be THE region - a showcase. sheesh. pitiful.

Quick Reply: Trouble With PCA HQ - Germany Region Fading Away....