First time buyer - out of state purchase of a CPO car

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 06:29 PM
munir.usman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First time buyer - out of state purchase of a CPO car

Hello folks,

I am purchasing my first Porsche from Porsche Okemos, MI. This is also the first time when I am buying an out of state car on phone. It’s a CPO car parked at the dealership.

Porsche Okemos has sent me the wire instructions for the bank account under the name of "Lansing Automotive, LLC dba Porsche of Okemos". They are asking me to make the payment first before any paperwork work and car shipment.

Is that normal? What's the standard procedure to purchase an out of state car? How do I ensure that my payment is safe.

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by munir.usman; 01-12-2023 at 09:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by munir.usman
Hello folks, I am purchasing my first Porsche from Porsche Okemos, MI. This is also the first time when I am buying an out of state car on phone. Porsche Okemos has sent me the wire instructions for the bank account under the name of "Lansing Automotive, LLC dba Porsche of Okemos". They are asking me to make the payment first before any paperwork work and car shipment. Is that normal? What's the standard procedure to purchase an out of state car? How do I ensure that my payment is safe. Appreciate your help!

What do you mean by "They are asking me to make the payment first before any paperwork work and car shipment." Has your car been shipped from Germany? Have you received your Order paperwork? ​​​

I bought both my cars out of State. Dealership is in Los Angeles and I'm in Florida. Orders were placed, I received my order paperwork and commission number, cars were built and shipped. When we were about 2-3 weeks from delivery I wired the payment, then received all the paperwork I needed to go to my local DMV and pay the Sales Tax and register my cars, got the insurance, and then went to PCA Atlanta to get my cars. I'm assuming you're paying cash for your car as I did, otherwise the Dealership would need you there in person to do the paperwork including the financing. That's what my Dealership told me anyway.

If you're receiving your car in the next few weeks I think you're alright to pay them. Beforehand I'd go online to their website to make sure the people you're dealing with actually work there; and call their Finance Department to confirm the wire instructions are accurate. I'm not of a trusting nature. With any luck, someone on the Forum who is local to Lansing, MI can go by the Dealership for you to make sure it's all legit, for an extra measure of comfort.

Finally, if your car hasn't been built and shipped yet, heck no don't pay them yet. No way.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Last edited by Smirnoff67; 01-12-2023 at 08:58 AM.
munir.usman (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:03 AM
munir.usman
Rennlist Member

Sorry it’s a CPO car parked at the Porsche Okemos dealership.

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
What do you mean by "They are asking me to make the payment first before any paperwork work and car shipment." Has your car been shipped from Germany? Have you received your Order paperwork? ​​​

I bought both my cars out of State. Dealership is in Los Angeles and I'm in Florida. Orders were placed, I received my order paperwork and commission number, cars were built and shipped. When we were about 2-3 weeks from delivery I wired the payment, then received all the paperwork I needed to go to my local DMV and pay the Sales Tax and register my cars, got the insurance, and then went to PCA Atlanta to get my cars. I'm assuming you're paying cash for your car as I did, otherwise the Dealership would need you there in person to do the paperwork including the financing. That's what my Dealership told me anyway.

If you're receiving your car in the next few weeks I think you're alright to pay them. Beforehand I'd go online to their website to make sure the people you're dealing with actually work there; and call their Finance Department to confirm the wire instructions are accurate. I'm not of a trusting nature. With any luck, someone on the Forum who is local to Lansing, MI can go by the Dealership for you to make sure it's all legit, for an extra measure of comfort.

Finally, if your car hasn't been built and shipped yet, heck no don't pay them yet. No way.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 01-12-2023, 09:10 AM
davidtcpa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

HELL NO!!! Paperwork first!!!

Is this dealer reputable? I just could not buy a used car like that.
munir.usman (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:11 AM
munir.usman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
HELL NO!!! Paperwork first!!!

Is this dealer reputable? I just could not buy a used car like that.
Thanks for your response. Can you please tell me what is included in the paperwork?
Old 01-12-2023, 10:09 AM
scr1244
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 275 Posts

You need the purchase order, odometer statement, and all the miscellaneous forms. Payment in full will be required before they can send the title. However, if you are financing the title will go to the lien holder.
munir.usman (01-19-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:12 AM
jason95R
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by scr1244
You need the purchase order, odometer statement, and all the miscellaneous forms. Payment in full will be required before they can send the title. However, if you are financing the title will go to the lien holder.
^^^ This

All paperwork should be signed first and then send the wire. And also make sure you have your insurance in place prior to shipping. That way if anything happens during shipment you're coverd.
The following 3 users liked this post by jason95R:
LALTX (01-12-2023), munir.usman (01-19-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 11:47 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Sorry it’s a CPO car parked at the Porsche Okemos dealership.
I'm a dope. Should have had coffee before answering you. The other guys are correct. You need the paperwork like you got when you've bought other cars before is what we're all trying to say. And if they're shipping the car to you, like it's been said, make sure your insurance is in force prior to shipping. I'd still call their Finance Department to confirm the wire instructions and check their website to see their employees.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smirnoff67:
LALTX (01-12-2023), munir.usman (01-19-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 12:02 PM
LALTX
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have bought 2 cars (one Porsche, one BMW) out of state and 2 cars (Lexus and a Porsche) in state, but not in my city, in the last 2 years. All had to be shipped to me.

In all cases, I put a 5K deposit down to hold the car (or the allocations) while we did the paperwork, got it signed, plus proof of insurance. Once all cars were ready to ship to me, I then wired the balance in cash to their verified accounts.

Basically, from 2 different Porsche dealerships, 1 Lexus dealership and 1 BMW dealerships (all were new except the BMW which was a CPO), I only paid 5K until all paperwork was completed and the car was ready to ship to me.

I would not pay more than a 5K deposit (which seems standard) until I had all paperwork signed and the car is ready to send.
The following 3 users liked this post by LALTX:
LDT (01-16-2023), munir.usman (01-19-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 09:52 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Hello folks,

I am purchasing my first Porsche from Porsche Okemos, MI. This is also the first time when I am buying an out of state car on phone. It’s a CPO car parked at the dealership.

Porsche Okemos has sent me the wire instructions for the bank account under the name of "Lansing Automotive, LLC dba Porsche of Okemos". They are asking me to make the payment first before any paperwork work and car shipment.

Is that normal? What's the standard procedure to purchase an out of state car? How do I ensure that my payment is safe.

Appreciate your help!
@munir.usman Yes, I just did this 4 weeks ago. Purchased the Cayenne S in my signature from Northern California. Agreed on a price, sent the money via wire, signed docs, arranged transportation, received the vehicle, paid sales tax, registered and titled it in my home state. Perfect transaction, no problems or regrets.

Porsche Okemos is the Porsche dealer nearest the state capital of Michigan: Lansing.

I am one hour from Okemos, MI if that is of any help to you.

edit: they should send you a Purchase Agreement (also known as an invoice), which you should review, and sign if you agree, before sending payment. The Purchase Agreement will, among other things, state the price and amounts owed to the selling dealer.

Last edited by chassis; 01-12-2023 at 10:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by chassis:
LDT (01-16-2023), munir.usman (01-19-2023), Smirnoff67 (01-13-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 09:24 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 168 Posts

And the outcome for the OP is???
chassis (01-21-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 01:09 PM
munir.usman
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone. I found a friend who lives near Porsche Okemos. He visited the showroom and verify everything before I wired the money. Paperwork is done and the car will arrive in few days! Super excited! Here are the pictures:

The following 2 users liked this post by munir.usman:
chassis (01-25-2023), LDT (01-22-2023)

Quick Reply: First time buyer - out of state purchase of a CPO car