Default Porsche 911 Carrera T Is the One We've Been Waiting For

Porsche 911 Carrera T Is the One We've Been Waiting For
By Brett Foote

A 911 for the purists out there.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:48 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Just shipped my GT4 off to my Porsche dealer for an allocation for this new 911 T. This T is the car I have been waiting for.
The following 2 users liked this post by Targa32:
DSC48 (11-11-2022), HerrDr (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:36 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Received 1,075 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
Just shipped my GT4 off to my Porsche dealer for an allocation for this new 911 T. This T is the car I have been waiting for.
I've already put a deposit down on a new Carrera T, but wondering what led you to choose a T over the GT4?
Old 11-14-2022, 11:09 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Well my 2022 GT4 was just not very much fun to drive around town. I am 6’2” and 275 lbs and the GT4 was just overall too small for my body- the GT4 had carbon fiber bucket seats also which were not fun to get into or out of without feeling like a pretzel.

the engine noise is loud and not very pleasant - particularly after about 30 minutes. I was starting too carry ear plugs. Then the ride/ not fun either.

porsche tells us fans that the GT cars are designed to sacrifice many road capabilities for better track abilities. But of course being the children we are when it comes to cars we refuse to listen.

in comparison- Porsche has designed the T to be a country and mountain road carving Porsche. Which is where I drive my three different Porsche vehicles on the weekends. The T has or can have selected the important road handling Porsche options and it has plenty of power for driving up and down mountain roads.

and the cabin in the 911 is just so much nicer overall, roomier and the 911 rides better as well.

also you can get the T with a glass sunroof while the GT4 can not have a sunroof at all.

plus I could trade In the GT4 for slightly more than I paid for the car and my out of pocket cash won’t be too much either.

I was offered a GT3 at a very reasonable ADM but I passed in favor of the T because again the GT3 would present a similar problem for a Porsche guy like me that does not have the time of interest in driving my perfect and expensive piece of art on a race track.

I also own a 911 Targa 4 with the same base engine and I really like the way this engine just flings the car down the road with abandon when I ask it .

plus I get to order a new engine

plus I just like the T better than the GT4 because it is a
Old 11-15-2022, 12:49 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Well my 2022 GT4 was just not very much fun to drive around town. I am 6’2” and 275 lbs and the GT4 was just overall too small for my body- the GT4 had carbon fiber bucket seats also which were not fun to get into or out of without feeling like a pretzel.

the engine noise is loud and not very pleasant - particularly after about 30 minutes. I was starting too carry ear plugs. Then the ride/ not fun either.

porsche tells us fans that the GT cars are designed to sacrifice many road capabilities for better track abilities. But of course being the children we are when it comes to cars we refuse to listen.

in comparison- Porsche has designed the T to be a country and mountain road carving Porsche. Which is where I drive my three different Porsche vehicles on the weekends. The T has or can have selected the important road handling Porsche options and it has plenty of power for driving up and down mountain roads.

and the cabin in the 911 is just so much nicer overall, roomier and the 911 rides better as well.

also you can get the T with a glass sunroof while the GT4 can not have a sunroof at all.

plus I could trade In the GT4 for slightly more than I paid for the car and my out of pocket cash won’t be too much either.

I was offered a GT3 at a very reasonable ADM but I passed in favor of the T because again the GT3 would present a similar problem for a Porsche guy like me that does not have the time of interest in driving my perfect and expensive piece of art on a race track.

I also own a 911 Targa 4 with the same base engine and I really like the way this engine just flings the car down the road with abandon when I ask it .

plus I get to order a new engine

plus I just like the T better than the GT4 because it is a
I greatly appreciate the thorough response! That's all in line with what I'm thinking and it's awesome to hear it from someone that has a GT4. I'll probably keep my Macan S as a daily, but used to daily a 996 and miss it dearly. You're very lucky to have gotten a GT4 when you did to be able to get more than you paid.

Nice to know you have enjoyed your base Targa as much as you have. I've always preferred the aesthetic of the Targa--had the pleasure of taking one to ~170mph on the Autobahn in 2019. The base engine seems like the sweet spot engine in the lineup and the T seems like simple and not-yet-extreme fun.

There's a pretty busy Carrera T thread over here if interested in what people are discussing:
https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1230...-specs-85.html
Old 11-15-2022, 01:22 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Porsche is brilliant on convincing us we need more and more horsepower - and they essentially just make the turbo fan blades larger for a minimal cost and charge an extra $20,000 more for the same car.

I drove a 911/992 4S in Europe for a month and I found very little difference from the Targa 4 with less hp. Except / the base engine spins up faster with the smaller turbo blades and has minimal lag when you floor the gas pedal while the S seemed to take a deep breath and then leap forward. I honestly prefer the base engine.

on the GT4 what I also found disappointing was that the engine never makes those fun pops and burbles that the 911 engine makes in sport mode. And as the engine breaks in on my Targa 4 those fun noises get louder and more frequent on down shifts. The stock engine sound for the GT4 is not so much loud as it is a drowning sort of sound. Really is not pleasant. The 911 is a more sophisticated and deeper sound that though loud does not grate on my nerves at all. No one ever mentions the lack of pops and burbles from the GT4 or from the GTS 718 either. I guess Porsche saves the better exhaust sound for the 911.

Also by saving $20,000 over the S engine or $40,000 over the GTS 911 - I can spend all that saved money on options I will enjoy and use. Fancy deviated stitching, adaptive cruise control, rear wheel steering, full leather interior, PTS color and on and on. The extra hp is rarely used or noticed when on streets or freeway. The base engine sure seems to spur my Targa 4 on for miles and miles at 70-80 mph on the freeways of California just fine and just as fast as an S or GTS 911 it turns out. And getting on the freeway my base engine Targa is at 90 mph so fast I can never keep my foot down on the gas pedal for more than a second to two. I appreciate the status of having the S or GTS on the back of the car and more visible than adaptive cruise control or ventilated seats and a Burmeister stereo but I prefer these options over 50 more hp when 380 hp is more than adequate to scare myself on any road already.

what I did like about the GT4 was the old fashioned shifter for the pdk. Slap it to the left and you are in manual mode. That stupid and annoying shaver shifter gizmo in the 911 is the worst design feature about the 911.

I was strongly considering adding a GT3 just because even with the PDK it has a normal shift handle like the GT4.

one reason I opted for the 911 T is I can get the base engine with a old fashioned shift handle - and even if it has to be a manual transmission.
Also that dumb 911 pdk shifter in my opinion works backwards… why not push it forward to go forward and pull back to go backwards?

The GT4 is a beautiful car and is fun to drive fast - but it really is designed to sacrifice every aspect to make it better on a track. Also the truth is the interior dash and the nav screen and software are all dated and should have been replaced three years ago.

l have my T optioned up to around $153,000 msrp before shipping and it is going to be the true sweet spot for a Porsche sports car in my opinion.

I also for that $153,000 have the gloss black aero package with the cool wing on the back — and green chrono and tachometer and full 18 way seats and just about every option both from performance and from comfort areas of the configurator.

The following users liked this post:
HerrDr (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 02:27 PM
HerrDr
Pro

Porsche is brilliant on convincing us we need more and more horsepower - and they essentially just make the turbo fan blades larger for a minimal cost and charge an extra $20,000 more for the same car.

I drove a 911/992 4S in Europe for a month and I found very little difference from the Targa 4 with less hp. Except / the base engine spins up faster with the smaller turbo blades and has minimal lag when you floor the gas pedal while the S seemed to take a deep breath and then leap forward. I honestly prefer the base engine.

on the GT4 what I also found disappointing was that the engine never makes those fun pops and burbles that the 911 engine makes in sport mode. And as the engine breaks in on my Targa 4 those fun noises get louder and more frequent on down shifts. The stock engine sound for the GT4 is not so much loud as it is a drowning sort of sound. Really is not pleasant. The 911 is a more sophisticated and deeper sound that though loud does not grate on my nerves at all. No one ever mentions the lack of pops and burbles from the GT4 or from the GTS 718 either. I guess Porsche saves the better exhaust sound for the 911.

Also by saving $20,000 over the S engine or $40,000 over the GTS 911 - I can spend all that saved money on options I will enjoy and use. Fancy deviated stitching, adaptive cruise control, rear wheel steering, full leather interior, PTS color and on and on. The extra hp is rarely used or noticed when on streets or freeway. The base engine sure seems to spur my Targa 4 on for miles and miles at 70-80 mph on the freeways of California just fine and just as fast as an S or GTS 911 it turns out. And getting on the freeway my base engine Targa is at 90 mph so fast I can never keep my foot down on the gas pedal for more than a second to two. I appreciate the status of having the S or GTS on the back of the car and more visible than adaptive cruise control or ventilated seats and a Burmeister stereo but I prefer these options over 50 more hp when 380 hp is more than adequate to scare myself on any road already.

what I did like about the GT4 was the old fashioned shifter for the pdk. Slap it to the left and you are in manual mode. That stupid and annoying shaver shifter gizmo in the 911 is the worst design feature about the 911.

I was strongly considering adding a GT3 just because even with the PDK it has a normal shift handle like the GT4.

one reason I opted for the 911 T is I can get the base engine with a old fashioned shift handle - and even if it has to be a manual transmission.
Also that dumb 911 pdk shifter in my opinion works backwards… why not push it forward to go forward and pull back to go backwards?

The GT4 is a beautiful car and is fun to drive fast - but it really is designed to sacrifice every aspect to make it better on a track. Also the truth is the interior dash and the nav screen and software are all dated and should have been replaced three years ago.

l have my T optioned up to around $153,000 msrp before shipping and it is going to be the true sweet spot for a Porsche sports car in my opinion.

I also for that $153,000 have the gloss black aero package with the cool wing on the back — and green chrono and tachometer and full 18 way seats and just about every option both from performance and from comfort areas of the configurator.
I'm with you on all of that. I'm aiming to keep mine simple and I love the idea of being able to best wring out the base engine. I think for the weight and balance of the car, 380 hp is more than enough.
Old 08-30-2024, 03:33 PM
Dale Allen
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 44 Posts
Default This discussion shows that size matters in the GT4

I bought my 2021 GT4 new in January of 2021 and I love it! I am 72 years old, 5' 9" tall, weigh 175 lbs and have the 18 way "sofa" seats. I just passed 33,600 miles today on a four mile round trip to the grocery store. My wife and I have driven from Ohio to California twice, to Florida twice and various other shorter trips in addition to the GT4 being my daily driver for 18 months during that time frame. I find the GT4 to be the perfect size for two of us to travel for as long as three weeks with all of our luggage, etc. We have a lot of potholes in NE Ohio, but you learn to dodge them when you can and the suspension is amazing on the back roads we take as much as possible. The car handles amazingly well without being punishing in my opinion. YMMV. 😉

Last edited by Dale Allen; 08-30-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 911 Carrera T Is the One We've Been Waiting For