Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:25 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 186 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Porsche 964 911 EV Owner Thinks That the Future Is Electric

Porsche 964 911 EV Owner Thinks That the Future Is Electric
By Brett Foote

Only a select few can afford such a machine.

Old 10-28-2022, 12:24 PM
moto_geek
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Porsche 964 911 EV Owner Thinks That the Future Is Electric
By Brett Foote

Only a select few can afford such a machine.
I saw one at our local Colorado classic cars event. Was not $300k.. more like $90k but probably not the power plant that this EV received and special touches. Would be cool to drive a vintage car with modern power plant for daily driving. We love our Taycan 4s. I get a kick out of petro heads knocking EV drivers. Go test a Taycan and see what the buzz is about. Yeah we spend more time charging, but charging is usually while I'm sleep in my bed sucking down the cheap rates from the power plants..
Old 10-30-2022, 04:25 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Not a fan.

Completely disagree that his will somehow preserve the "legacy" of these classic cars.

The sound and smell of the engines is integral to the legacy of our cars.

How does putting an electric motor do anything to preserve the legacy.

There are times I will just run my 964 and listen to the engine .... pure joy to me. What's the joy is listening to an electric motor ???????

I know this is not a popular opinion to those "woke" folks.

Last edited by canuck964; 10-30-2022 at 04:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by canuck964:
John Felock (07-07-2024), LDT (10-30-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 04:33 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by moto_geek
I saw one at our local Colorado classic cars event. Was not $300k.. more like $90k but probably not the power plant that this EV received and special touches. Would be cool to drive a vintage car with modern power plant for daily driving. We love our Taycan 4s. I get a kick out of petro heads knocking EV drivers. Go test a Taycan and see what the buzz is about. Yeah we spend more time charging, but charging is usually while I'm sleep in my bed sucking down the cheap rates from the power plants..
I have an EV (Volvo XC40) that I use for commuting.

Sure they are fast but what is this buzz you are talking about?

I get zero joy driving it. It is an appliance. Gets me from point A to point B efficiently and most importantly I get to use the HOV lane.

On the weekend I take my 964 out for a run. Listening to flat 6 roar ..... pure joy. Feeling the rumble of the engines in the back .... pure joy. Smell the oil as I park her back in the garage .... pure joy.

Stick an electric motor in my 964 ...... it becomes just another EV, an appliance to go from point A to point B.

This coming from an EV owner.

Last edited by canuck964; 10-30-2022 at 04:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mhm993 (11-01-2022)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:52 AM
make_or_break
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

The poor 964...it just keeps getting picked on by people who think that they magically have some modicum of ability to somehow pull some snake oil out of their butt to wonderfully make the car 'better'. First there's all those individual British owners featured in the English Porsche rags I used to subscribe to who loved to backdate their 964s to some foggy, mystical kinder and gentler pre-impact bumper era, a rainbowed unicorn time that may or may not have actually existed. Then comes along Rob D and his Singer Vehicle Design enterprise who turned such 964 restomodding into a very, VERY profitable business model, sucking in extremely wealthy clientele who apparently have nothing better to do with their money, instead spending piles of cash for some make-believe 'classic' cars that never really existed and wouldn't have existed without the help of a goodly amount of state-of-the-art 21st century technology. Modern-day version of the Excalibur car craze back in the 70s and 80s, I think. Oh well...people and their proclivity to want to rewrite history. You know, maybe Rob D could also bring back the 70s oil crisis while he's at it. After all, we should at least TRY to get at least some the context of those times right, right?

And now we have this...an electrified 964 with the very essence of its mobility soul gutted out of it as yet another restomod (yes, doing a lobotomy hatchet job to an ICE drivetrain and subsequently Frankensteining in e-motors and flammable battery packs is indeed restomodding), looking again at turning this lineage-corrupting abomination into some sort of money-making venture. Tsk, we never learn. 911s have long been maltreated into being labeled as an "ideal" platform for EV conversion, even before the term 'EV' became a thing. It didn't work then, so why in God's great name should anyone in their right mind think it will work NOW?

Hey I've got a notion. If ye's gots ta do it, why even bother with the 964, or any air-cooled? Why not go big(ger) and EV the snot out of the 996? After all, those are the ones who carry the stigma of sketchy rear main seal and intermediate shafty thingy boo-boos (whether real or imagined). Surely stuffing an electric motor or two in one of those would be a "natural" fix to counter any further evil ICE failures. Great for bolstering that 911 generation's image, right? So EZ-peeZ. You can thank me later, after all of the 996 fanatics get over their anger and angst.

EVing cherished ICE cars and then calling it "preservation"...the first time someone EV's a McLaren F1 or a race-pedigreed 250 GTO, then and only then may I accept and acquiesce to that concept. But I seriously doubt it, dude.

(Necroposting...tsk. Yeah I know I'm a couple of years late to the party...I'm behind my times.)

Last edited by make_or_break; 06-27-2024 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Forgot something
The following users liked this post:
bullfighter (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 11:18 PM
bullfighter
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Not a fan.

Completely disagree that his will somehow preserve the "legacy" of these classic cars.

The sound and smell of the engines is integral to the legacy of our cars.

How does putting an electric motor do anything to preserve the legacy.

There are times I will just run my 964 and listen to the engine .... pure joy to me. What's the joy is listening to an electric motor ???????

I know this is not a popular opinion to those "woke" folks.
I guess I’m “woke” if it sets me apart from “oblivious”, but I own a 964 (third air-cooled Porsche), and would agree that an EV version is pretty pointless. I rarely see 964s on the roads even here in California, and given the few miles driven I doubt they have much to do with environmental issues in 2024.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:15 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I can see the point though I’d never do this to what is now a classic, except if maybe I ended-up with a frame and no engine, who knows?
That being I drive a Tesla Plaid. The acceleration is totally insane but the lack of engine noise kills the ‘drama’ of the acceleration supported by the yelling engine shifting out loud.

Now in a future where some cities will prohibit access to combustion engines, maybe I’d be tempted to have a classic converted to EV…
Old 07-10-2024, 01:41 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

And yet Singer turns them in to almost unobtainable and joyous pieces of performance and art.

This is just sad- I can't think of a worse way to ruin a 964,

Last edited by George from MD; 07-10-2024 at 01:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Porsche 964 911 EV Owner Thinks That the Future Is Electric