Notices

Porsche for the taller than average

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Dragokatzov
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche for the taller than average

Hey everyone. I am new here fo go easy on me!!

I have always wanted a Porsche. And I am at the point in my life where i can actually afford one! i was thinking of one of the older ones. mid 80's 911? however, theres one slight problem, i am 6'7!!! so, i guess the question is, are porsche's tall person friendly? i saw one at the local VW/Audi dealer but they woulden't let me sit in it. maybe i wanted to BUY IT! hehe, but what do you guys think? or am i stuck driving a truck for the rest of my life?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of at least one person of your height range who fits into a 944 but not a 911 (not sure about the 996 series). I have the opposite problem. You could always get a cab and only drive on sunny days!
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

944's (and I'd assume the 968's) seem to be tall-friendly cars. I'm 6'3", and I can't sit with the seat all the way back. Plenty of head room for me too.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Wet1
Instructor

I'm not sure how well you'd fit in a 911, but they do have a fair amount of headroom. If you get in one and it turns out it's a close fit you can get a rail set for the seats that drops them... I want to say 1/2"-1". If you're that tall I'm going assume you have big feet, if so you might also find the footwell tight in these cars. The 1984+ 911's have blowers in the kickplanes/footwells that eat up a little room also.

I don't know anything about the 996... other that I think they're ugly.

Hope this helps some.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Dragokatzov
6th Gear

hey, great, thanks guys! you are very helpful! I was hoping there was atleast one model i could fit into. taken a look around the net for some 944's (i think i like them better than the 911) but a porsche is relativly hard to find around here! I am in New Brunswick, Canada and the nearist dealer is in quebec! not that means anything, but it gives an impression of the uphill battle i am about to face in trying to find a 944 around here. so, as of tonight, my search begins! thanks again guuys
Old 04-30-2004, 04:04 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

If you get a 944...get a turbo...then thank me later
Old 04-30-2004, 06:06 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

As Wet1 suggested, the car can easily be adapted by upgrading to a Recaro (or similar) sports seat and fitting it at the lowest height. That applies to any car but I am constantly surprised how many people end up getting a car they don't really want instead of making a simple modification.

In the 911s at least, you have more headroom in cars without a sunroof.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Wet1
Instructor

Originally posted by graham_mitchell
As Wet1 suggested, the car can easily be adapted by upgrading to a Recaro (or similar) sports seat and fitting it at the lowest height. That applies to any car but I am constantly surprised how many people end up getting a car they don't really want instead of making a simple modification.

In the 911s at least, you have more headroom in cars without a sunroof.
The factory seats in the 911 can be dropped a little with the rails I was describing. If stock seats are a close fit I can find the part #'s for you.

I forgot about the sunroof thing, thanks Graham. And Graham is right, I made my headroom comments based on my car which does not have a sunroof... they have about an inch+ more headroom. Keep in mind that 911's w/o sunroofs are like SUPER hot chicks... you only see one every once in a while.

I can almost guarantee that you'd fit into the classic 911 with a couple of mods. Without a doubt look for a car w/o the sunroof (unless you want to look like Dino with your head sticking out of it). If there's still not enough headroom go with aftermarket seats and slam them to the floor. With my Momo seats I can fit my fist between my head (while wearing a helmet) and the roof and I'm 5' 11". I mounted my seats using the Momo brackets and there's a lot of roof under them. I just installed a set of Sparco seats in another 911 (1986 930) for a friend that wanted them LOW. I mounted them almost to the floor and I can't imagine you'd have any issues fitting in that car... hell, I can barely see over the door panels/dash! Again, custom seats would allow you to go way back also.

So I guess what I'm saying is you will fit into one of these cars, but you might have to mod it slightly.

Again, I don't know about the 996... but I still think they're ugly!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Wet1
Instructor

BTW, where are you located? I'm sure a few members would be more than happy to plop your butt in one of their cars.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Dragokatzov
6th Gear

Originally posted by Wet1
BTW, where are you located? I'm sure a few members would be more than happy to plop your butt in one of their cars.
Hey wet1. I am currently in New Brunswick, Canada. to this day i have only seen 2 Porsches on the road, partly becasue the dealer is soooo faw away. The Cloest one is about a day away. There is one in Maine, but shopping internationally for cars is such a pain in the ***. or, so my experiance dictates.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:43 PM
87turbo911
Rennlist Member

Did you say mid-80s 911? Need headroom?

1986 911 Targa! (See my sig to see why I think what I said is funny)

Seriously, though, the Targa has more headroom than a coupe...and you can take the top off if you want.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:51 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

If you look into 944's make sure it's a late model (85.5+) one. I'm 6"1' with long legs and had problems driving around an '84 944. The stearing wheel is at a very low angle and my knees were always hitting it. I have no problems fitting into my 86 though. I also second Bloodraven, the 944 turbo (aka 951) is a world away from the NA.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM
ccannon968
Intermediate

Default 924/944/968s for the tall

I'm 6'5" and own a 968, having previously owned a 944. These are terrific cars for the tall. A friend of a friend is 6'9" and drives a 944S2. I find I'm not sitting all the way back on the sliders (I'm mostly torso, less leg), but still have enough space that I can get a helmet on for Autocross when I need to.

Couple of things I've found :

1. Coupes are better for height than Cabriolets, and

2. The more expensive the seat, the less room you get. The manual seat in my '85 944 gave me more room than the 8-way power seat does in my 968. I tried out one of the optional 'sport seats' in another 968 this weekend and could barely fit.

On the plus side, the removeable roof plate doesn't cut into headroom in these cars the way sunroofs do - they don't have to retract into the roof, so the roof isn't lower on cars with the roof plate.

At the 968-fest in Hershey this year, I spotted four other drivers my height or taller.

Good Luck,

Chris
'92 968 Coupe
Old 05-03-2004, 06:14 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'4" and fit in my '04 911 cab just fine, but, I will say that at 6'7" you will need to lower the seet all the way down. If you don't mind the feeling that you're so low to the ground that your *** is actually on the road-- you will get used to it-- then you won't have any problems.

And one more thing-- when the seat is that low, getting in and out of the car is like playing a game of twister with my kids.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 6'4 (maybe a little over) and i fit in my 996 just fine. in fact, i don't drive with the seat all the way back because it puts me just a little too far away from the controls. depending on whether you're tall in the legs or more in the torso, you very well might fit into a stock 996 just fine. i'm long in the torso, with a 34" inseam. i don't know how you compare.

Quick Reply: Porsche for the taller than average