Notices

More damaged Porsches during storm at sea.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:29 AM
othertbone
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 209 Posts

Must have been a huge storm to do that to such a monster ship. Hurricane?
Old 04-08-2022, 02:14 AM
cucu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's the Composer. I have a Macan S on it and the dealer only told me they got a report saying it came into contact with at least one other car. No details on the damage yet but we should be getting updates these days. He did tell me that it's nowhere near as bad as initially thought so who knows how much of the story is made up. This is the first time I read about cars on their roofs and flying into the ocean... it does sound a bit... unrealistic, without proof.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1296...es-update.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1293...omposer-6.html
Old 04-08-2022, 07:37 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by cucu
It's the Composer. I have a Macan S on it and the dealer only told me they got a report saying it came into contact with at least one other car. No details on the damage yet but we should be getting updates these days. He did tell me that it's nowhere near as bad as initially thought so who knows how much of the story is made up. This is the first time I read about cars on their roofs and flying into the ocean... it does sound a bit... unrealistic, without proof.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1296...es-update.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1293...omposer-6.html
I don’t believe a car would go overboard, but when vehicles come unlashed, they do slide, and if the listing of the ship is violent enough, can roll over. It is not unheard of and another Rennlister posted a link to surveillance footage from inside other ships caught in bad storms. Watch the attached video and you’ll much better appreciate how unlashed vehicles on the upper levels can be tossed around like toys cars and the damage they can sustain.

Example of storm-related violence on vehicle carrier ships.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-08-2022 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:21 AM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
I don’t believe a car would go overboard, but when vehicles come unlashed, they do slide, and if the listing of the ship is violent enough, can roll over. It is not unheard of and another Rennlister posted a link to surveillance footage from inside other ships caught in bad storms. Watch the attached video and you’ll much better appreciate how unlashed vehicles on the upper levels can be tossed around like toys cars and the damage they can sustain.

Example of storm-related violence on vehicle carrier ships.
Perfect video. We tend to think in small terms rather than relative to earth. A ship is massive when docked on shore however out in the ocean it's a floating tin can rolling down a river. Things inside/outside not lashed properly will go flipping and flopping. Thousands of containers are lost each year off of container vessels. Mother nature is not so nice sometimes
Old 04-08-2022, 08:47 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU991812
Perfect video. We tend to think in small terms rather than relative to earth. A ship is massive when docked on shore however out in the ocean it's a floating tin can rolling down a river. Things inside/outside not lashed properly will go flipping and flopping. Thousands of containers are lost each year off of container vessels. Mother nature is not so nice sometimes
And to your point, here is another showing how violent mother nature can be on shipping containers.

The following users liked this post:
ICU991812 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 12:48 PM
cucu
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I did watch that video of cars looking like they've went head-on at full speed. Hard to imagine a pile-up at this scale on a transport ship but yeah, looks like it can happen.

No word on the status of cars on the Composer. As of now, I don't think anyone here has exact info on the extent of the damage, everything is just someone hearing someone else talking about this.

Maybe it would be interesting to find similar threads in Audi forums or from the other brands which are also impacted...
Old 04-08-2022, 01:48 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
... I see no reason why the salesman would just randomly make something like that up...
You've MET salesmen, right? Sometimes pointless lies almost seem like a required part of their pitch banter. Raise confusion/fear, pose a solution, score 'trust points' with the customer, etc. Same can be said for fear-mongering in other circles too.
The following 2 users liked this post by wkearney99:
cucu (04-08-2022), Sajan (04-12-2022)

Quick Reply: More damaged Porsches during storm at sea.