Notices

More damaged Porsches during storm at sea.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

I don't know what all the mystery and tight lips are regarding this unless there was criminal activity. Ships get damaged at sea, ship catch fire, ships' cargo get lost and damaged. Shipa sink. Nothing new here. The fact that a ship caught fire and a bunch of cars got lost and some ****ting on their roofs -- and . . . . ???
Old 04-03-2022, 11:24 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,315 Posts

It's just really weird to me that when the Felicity had problems it was international news and car counts were immediately available.

Now this instance is being all super secret? To "protect privacy of individuals" ? As above, **** happens. Cars get damaged. That's fine. What's being protected here, really? If the dealer knows and are allowed to just yammer on about it to customers, why isn't proof given?
Old 04-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Cougar ace, Golden Ray, etc
Old 04-03-2022, 11:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
It's just really weird to me that when the Felicity had problems it was international news and car counts were immediately available.

Now this instance is being all super secret? To "protect privacy of individuals" ? As above, **** happens. Cars get damaged. That's fine. What's being protected here, really? If the dealer knows and are allowed to just yammer on about it to customers, why isn't proof given?

I guess loose lips sink ships
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
BAreaTransplant (04-05-2022), kennb44 (04-13-2022), Pb Pedis (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 12:03 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't understand the skepticism being exhibited by folks about this. Car carriers have weather-related incidents regularly. The Felicity Ace was not a normal situation because the entire ship was engulfed in flames, 4,000 high-end vehicles were destroyed during a supply crisis, the crew was evacuated by helicopter, and the ship was a ghost ship floating without power. That is quite different than regular storm-related rough seas causing cargo to come unlashed and destroyed/damaged.

In fact, it is so frequent, that it is seldom ever publicly reported, unless the entire ship capsizes, catches on fire, or collides with another vessel. Most auto ports have fully-equipped repair/paint shops to fix any damage that occurs during transport before vehicles arrive at dealerships. After Felicity Ace, I doubt Porsche wants to blast the incident to the media for the sake of upsetting already frustrated customers. The salesman probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but it came out in random conversation, not for shock value.

Just for reference, though cargo containers on container ships are locked into place and lashed down, in bad storms, it is not unheard of for entire containers to break loose and fall into the ocean. It's actually a regular occurrence. Most of the time they just sink, but on rare occasions, they end up on the shores of a nearby body of land.

Last edited by mc3456; 04-03-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 12:23 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I guess loose lips sink ships
lol
Old 04-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 657 Posts
Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by mc3456
…Lastly, this is exactly what happened to a ship of BMWs around 2009, I know this because I had an ordered BMW E90 M3 that was destroyed. Therefore, I canceled my M3 order and just bought an AMG C63 due to arrive several weeks later instead. These vehicle shipping accidents are far more common than most people realize…
Could be video of your M3….

The following users liked this post:
mc3456 (04-03-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 01:27 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Could be video of your M3….

https://youtu.be/t7EqGzO_qsc
Could be! Hopefully, it quiets the skeptics. Can't believe more people are not aware of these types of incidents happen, and actually demand full disclosure for every incident before they'd believe it like it is some sort of conspiracy. Smh.

Thanks for posting the video!
Old 04-03-2022, 01:33 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Could be! Hopefully, it quiets the skeptics. Can't believe more people are not aware of these types of incidents happen, and actually demand full disclosure for every incident before they'd believe it like it is some sort of conspiracy. Smh.

Thanks for posting the video!
It's more that this was initially posted in the 991 forum in a format that screams rumour mill, and only backed up by people claiming they knew about this particular incident like it was some big thing to know about, but also preemptively refusing to elaborate on it.

Yes, **** happens on shipping containers. You're presenting partial information in a new thread as if it's some huge deal with a "just trust me I heard from a guy" guarantee, then explaining it away with "oh well it happens all the time it's no big deal stop asking for details."

Forgive me for the critical thinking.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:51 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

It's more that this was initially posted in the 991 forum in a format that screams rumour mill, and only backed up by people claiming they knew about this particular incident like it was some big thing to know about, but also preemptively refusing to elaborate on it.

Yes, **** happens on shipping containers. You're presenting partial information in a new thread as if it's some huge deal with a "just trust me I heard from a guy" guarantee, then explaining it away with "oh well it happens all the time it's no big deal stop asking for details."

Forgive me for the critical thinking.
Critical thinking? LOL. It’s not some sort of conspiracy.

I literally shared every piece of information I was told…word for word. You can call it hear say, but it is not incumbent upon me to substantiate what the salesman told me. Others have shared what they have heard as well. It was just a voluntary heads-up about what might drive future secondary market pricing. Hopefully, it helped someone on the fence about selling their own car.
Old 04-03-2022, 06:25 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 929 Posts

I said this in the other thread as well…. porsche has executives that get paid MILLIONS of dollars of bonuses every year. Their job is to plan/prevent/re-org where necessary. If a company has had 2 full ship losses in 2.5 years, and a 3rd one a month after the 2nd incident, it is 100% Porsche’s fault for not changing companies OR putting tremendous pressure on the carrier company for putting policies in place to improve their standard. It is utter BULLSH!T to simply blame mother nature and shrug your shoulders. They are not doing a good job. Period. Same thing with the Ukraine war. Putin didnt parachute tanks from earth orbit in 24 hours. He has been building military numbers around the entire perimeter of the country for 1 year. They should have thought about a contingency months before, have concrete plans in place for relocating to other factories or obtaining harnesses from other suppliers and simply push the “execute” button of that plan when the war happened.

But then what am I expecting from a company that cheated their way through emission process at a scale they did and got away with it - until they didnt.
The following users liked this post:
n2cars (04-03-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 09:42 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 313 Posts

It is a fact guys. I spoke with the sales manager at local dealer today. He brought up that a number of cars were damaged on a ship that encountered bad weather. The damaged cars are being held to determine if they are repairable or not. I didn't get specific info, but why would he have brought it up if it never happened???

Last edited by DBH; 04-04-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:02 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBH
It is a fact guys. I spoke with the sales manager at local dealer today. He brought up that a number of cars were damaged on a ship that encountered bad weather. The damaged cars are being held to determine if they are repairable or not. I didn't get specific info, but why would he have brought it up if it never happened???
Yep! That's why I brought it up in the first place...just as a service to interested parties.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:02 PM
BAreaTransplant
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

So are you guys talking about the SFL Composer ( or is it the Conductor ). If so I can confirm that cars got damaged. We should hear more from dealer on Friday I was told.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:11 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BAreaTransplant
So are you guys talking about the SFL Composer ( or is it the Conductor ). If so I can confirm that cars got damaged. We should hear more from dealer on Friday I was told.
Was never told the name of the ship.

Quick Reply: More damaged Porsches during storm at sea.