Notices

First Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 09:04 AM
noahmedlef
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Sports Car

Hey, I'm new to Rennlist and I'm looking to buy my first sports car and I'm looking in the sub $100k range. I'm looking for something to make me **** my pants every time I get on the throttle while also having a lot of cornering potential as that's a big reason for me looking at 911's. Although straight line speed isn't really my main goal, I still want to be able to dust 98% of people on the road with the exception of bikes and tuned R35 GTR's or anything of that caliber. The main cars I'm looking at are 997 GT3's, 930 Turbo's, and I found quite a few built up R35's pushing between 700-1000hp (Don't kill me for mentioning this car). Also, if I say anything retarded just tell me since I'm really just trying to gain more knowledge on this and get a better idea of what I want. Anyway, I'm aware that these are three completely different cars in almost every way imaginable and that's why I'm having trouble determining what I want. The GT3 is the safest option here since its decently quick, reliable, raw and would train me a lot as a driver. The only problem with the GT3 is that I feel like it won't have that "Oh ****..." factor near as much as the other two which is one of the biggest things I'm looking for. If an RS were in my price range, I'd get it no question just I'm worried having a 997 GT3 will remind me that I don't have an RS and that it won't make me **** my pants enough. With the 930 Turbo I'd want to strip it down and get it around 400-450hp at the crank (Please give me some insight on how much this would cost). This car seems great in the sense that it'll keep up in a straight line (With some tuning), be as raw as I'd ever want, looks better than pretty much anything, and most importantly it'd be a lot of fun throwing around corners while making me a better driver. The only thing that worries me is that it'll be too dated to keep up with modern performance cars and/or will cost a ton to tune up and maintain. I'm also worried it'd kill me as I lack experience with driving anything faster than an M235i even though I'm ready to respect the car and take it slow. Lastly, with the R35 I'd be spending the less money and more importantly, I'll never have to worry about my car not being fast enough. My main problem is that I feel like there's a chance that this car will be heavily lacking driver engagement and won't make me a better driver whatsoever. On the other hand, this car will be easy to drive compared to the other two which would allow me to drive it faster and instantly go warp speeds. Having a rocket on wheels sounds pretty cool just I'm not sure how much the technology, nannies, and lack of third pedal will take away from the fun. Either way, I'd want to own a 911 sometime in the near future. I'm not necessarily asking any questions in particular, I just want some help from someone with experience in these cars getting pointed in the right direction for what I'd have the most fun with and least regret. I know I typed a book so if anyone reads this, know it's appreciated.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:54 AM
vendotutti68
7th Gear

i would suggest a 991.1 Carrera S.

Try ti get a CPO.

Great daily driver as well as super capable on track.

Naturally aspirated is a plus for me.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the aircooled subforum... maybe try posting elsewhere?
Old 11-19-2020, 02:06 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

instantly go warp speeds sounds like Porsche's new EV or a Tesla

early turbo is notorious for lag, and crashes on corners from lag and then boost

Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 PM
noahmedlef
4th Gear

I couldn't get an EV due to the lack of sound and transmission. A GTR would be one thing against driver involvement, an EV really wouldn't do it for me. Thanks for telling me that about the Turbo, I was wondering what specifically made that one the first 'widowmaker'. Would an upgraded turbo setup help against this? I was reading through forums saying that with some bolt-ons and a good tune the lag was proportionally reduced.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:05 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Oh my. Your want your first sports car, and you want big power and acceleration. And you "want to be able to dust 98% of people on the road with the exception of bikes and tuned R35 GTR's or anything of that caliber." Oh my, oh my. Do you know how to drive well enough to handle what you are asking for? And on public roads? For perspective, I am an internationally-licensed race driver. My 991TurboS daily driver will pull the fillings out of my teeth with off the line G-force. I do not have the skillset to take that car to the max. Do you? I suspect not. Do yourself a favor and go out to dealerships and try some cars. A Porsche 911S. A Corvette C8. An Audi R8. A Ford Shelby GT500. And yes, an EV. And maybe put some money aside for performance driving lessons.

Last edited by raspritz; 11-19-2020 at 10:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by raspritz:
GTS-Jim (12-02-2020), NEH51 (12-30-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 04:20 PM
noahmedlef
4th Gear

Would a 997 GT3 also work well for a first? I kind of want something a little more analog and visceral, even though I just mentioned that I was considering R35 GTR's. It won't be a daily by the way.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:40 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

how about a Cayman? better balance; better looks
Old 11-19-2020, 08:33 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Giving advice on this is.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:18 AM
RFP
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like somebody is "car shopping" in study hall!
The following users liked this post:
GTS-Jim (12-02-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:39 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

My advice: Don't s*#! in your pants.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Cheech54
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend what I got for a first sports car: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine Series IV. You should have some respectable choices in the sub $100k price bracket.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:23 PM
GTS-Jim
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RFP
Sounds like somebody is "car shopping" in study hall!
Looks like you nailed it - 18 years old so maybe two years driving experience.

Quick Reply: First Sports Car