Front License Plate Holder...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front License Plate Holder...

Hello Friends,

For those of you in states that require one I was wondering what you were doing to attach your front license plate?

I doubt that any of you have affixed it to the front bumper permanently...

WT
Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 PM
SkullF16
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try double-sided tape.I picked up a BMW in Europe and they used thick double-sided tape to attach the plate. When I got the car back here, I didn't want to have the bumper drilled, so I tried the tape. It worked perfectly and never came off. I live in New Jersey (so it gets cold) and drove the car in every condition except snow. No problems. When I finally sold the car, I took the residue off with Goo-B-Gone. It worked great. Good Luck.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

I have made custom brackets, both to mount the front plate lower than stock (looks better to me) and to avoid holes in the bumper cover.

Last edited by bkrantz; 05-13-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkullF16
Try double-sided tape.I picked up a BMW in Europe and they used thick double-sided tape to attach the plate. When I got the car back here, I didn't want to have the bumper drilled, so I tried the tape. It worked perfectly and never came off. I live in New Jersey (so it gets cold) and drove the car in every condition except snow. No problems. When I finally sold the car, I took the residue off with Goo-B-Gone. It worked great. Good Luck.
These are great solutions. I, too, am in the NY/NJ area. I know that these days 3M has a double-sided tape that has nothing to do with that white stuff we used to put posters up in our dorm rooms... I was also thinking about Velcro. But it's not much of a solution if I have ugly strips of Velcro where the plate would be. I also like the custom bracket... I nearly bought a dealer lot car that had a remote-control bracket that flipped up from underneath the hood. Would love to see the face of the cop: "What do you mean, Officer, I'm not displaying a front license plate? Go and take a look." The problem was you never got any confirmation whether the remote control had worked without getting out of the car and checking! To be sure, there's not a chance I'm drilling holes in my bumper!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 PM
Espo78
Advanced

If you don't mind having the plate offset, there are many cheap solutions out there for tow hook plate mounts. I picked this one at random from a google search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe....c100677.m4598
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM
Will Tell
Rennlist Member

You know, i didn’t know there was such a thing. What you’re saying is that there is a covered door on the bumper that gives access to some sort of female thread hole into which one can screw a tow hook or, as your link suggests, a front license plate holder. Makes sense!

Yeah, looks fine to me, I will certainly consider it. Thanks for sharing!

-WT
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 PM
syswizard
Intermediate

I would rather sell my beloved 981 Porsche Boxster than to place that super-UGLY front license plate holder on.
Omigosh, it just KILLS the look.
What SFLs (Stupid F..king lawyers...errrr lawmakers ever passed that law ?
They should be shot.
Luckily I'm in PA, but if I was in NJ, I would rather pay a fine than to install a front plate.

Last edited by syswizard; 05-14-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: none
Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 PM
Espo78
Advanced

It really depends on your perspective. Lot's of people complain about many of PA's ridiculous automotive laws. I own a Jeep Wrangler and while I'm sure you've seen people driving them with the doors off, it's actually illegal in PA. Not in any other states that I'm aware of. Doors off is half the fun! Oh yeah and lift kits are also illegal in PA. Go figure..even though PA has one of the largest Jeep meets in the country. Ok enough rambling just thought it was funny how you prefer PA to NJ....its all in how you look at it.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:56 PM
Espo78
Advanced

Originally Posted by Espo78
If you don't mind having the plate offset, there are many cheap solutions out there for tow hook plate mounts. I picked this one at random from a google search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe....c100677.m4598
BTW don't use the link I posted...make sure you buy one that fits Porsche. It was just a quick example!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:17 PM
syswizard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Espo78
Lot's of people complain about many of PA's ridiculous automotive laws.
Totally agree....SFL's are in every state. Many PA laws and statutes are insane.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Front tow hook for sure: http://www.rennline.com/No-Holes-Bil...fo/E1070.1080/. There are a bunch of different alternatives, but they are pretty bomb-proof, easy-on/off for track days, no drilling required, no clearance issues. I have one on my Spyder and it works perfectly.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:38 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I have made custom brackets, both to mount the front plate lower than stock (looks better to me) and to avoid holes in the bumper cover.

I just took delivery of my 2018 C2 last month and need to address the front plate issue before driving much around Seattle and the state. I have the Porsche license plate mount that came with the car and told the dealer not to drill holes and mount it. I like the look and placement of your custom mount with the Colorado plate. I wonder if anyone has mounted the one that comes with the car in that location as shown in my attached pictures? It's just sitting on the car for the pictures. The idea would be to drill two holes in the back of the dummy air intake which line up with the two lower mounting holes in the Porsche supplied license plate mount. When I hold the mount in place and push on those two places where the screws go it seems like it would be secure. The screws would need to be 3 1/2 inches long and could be painted black.
Is there any electrical or plumbing running right up against the back side of the dummy air intake to prevent drilling two small holes in that location?

Old 06-05-2018, 12:26 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
I just took delivery of my 2018 C2 last month and need to address the front plate issue before driving much around Seattle and the state. I have the Porsche license plate mount that came with the car and told the dealer not to drill holes and mount it. I like the look and placement of your custom mount with the Colorado plate. I wonder if anyone has mounted the one that comes with the car in that location as shown in my attached pictures? It's just sitting on the car for the pictures. The idea would be to drill two holes in the back of the dummy air intake which line up with the two lower mounting holes in the Porsche supplied license plate mount. When I hold the mount in place and push on those two places where the screws go it seems like it would be secure. The screws would need to be 3 1/2 inches long and could be painted black.
Is there any electrical or plumbing running right up against the back side of the dummy air intake to prevent drilling two small holes in that location?

This could work. I did something similar on my wife's MB E400.

I suggest removing the front bumper first. See my description https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html
Old 06-05-2018, 04:35 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
This could work. I did something similar on my wife's MB E400.

I suggest removing the front bumper first. See my description https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html
bkrantz thank you for the reply and link to removing the front bumper. I actually previously had searched for pictures like that on youtube. From your pictures although I can't be positive it looks like I'd be safe in drilling the two holes mentioned in my original post. I'm not clear why you recommend removing the front bumper? My 911 as yours doesn't have ACC and even the headlight washers have been removed in the 2018 model. I was thinking I could tape the license plate mount in place and with a long drill bit drill two small starter holes for self tapping screws, install the screws and I'd be done. I'd be using screws which would only penetrate 1/2" beyond the back of the dummy air intake. From what I can tell from your pictures I'd be safe at not hitting and damaging anything. Having had the bumper off and seeing first hand yourself is this a reasonable assumption? In your picture which shows from above the bumper on the floor in front of the car where you note more grasshopper bits, I wonder if when the bumper is installed does the dummy intake go clear back to the black styrofoam insulation or is there a gap where I won't have to worry about screws penetrating that area? If it does go clear back to the black insulation then is there anything within it that could be damaged?
Old 06-05-2018, 06:19 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

In closer review of your pictures it looks like the pedestrian protector goes in the area immediately behind the dummy air intake. Is that right?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Holder...