Notices

Front License Plate Holder...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
In closer review of your pictures it looks like the pedestrian protector goes in the area immediately behind the dummy air intake. Is that right?
Thanks!
I "think" the protector goes under the dummy intake, but I am not sure. That is one reason why I would remove the bumper. The other reason would be to more reliably fasten screws, including both some reinforcement, and even nuts on the inside.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:56 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I "think" the protector goes under the dummy intake, but I am not sure. That is one reason why I would remove the bumper. The other reason would be to more reliably fasten screws, including both some reinforcement, and even nuts on the inside.
I was able to view the area behind the dummy air intake through the cutouts on the bottom of the bumper using a flashlight and mirror. There's nothing in the way, the area is completely open. I'm thinking somewhat along the same line as you in that Ideally I'd run bolts through a reinforcement plate from behind and have nuts on the front in the recess of the license plate mount. I might be able to do it without removing the bumper, not sure will have to give it some more thought.

Last edited by nwjade; 06-06-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nwjade
I was able to view the area behind the dummy air intake through the cutouts on the bottom of the bumper using a flashlight and mirror. There's nothing in the way, the area is completely open. I'm thinking somewhat along the same line as you in that Ideally I'd run bolts through a reinforcement plate from behind and have nuts on the front in the recess of the license plate mount. I might be able to do it without removing the bumper, not sure will have to give it some more thought.
Following up with what I wound up going.

License Bracket - Black Matte 991-701-051-15-ok1 Center mark using painters tape. Aluminum flat 3/4" X 13" cut down from 3' zinc plated hexbolts 1/4" X 4" washers and nuts. Spray paint bolts flat black. Locktite Blue

License Bracket shown from the backside with hardware before installation.

Center alignment of License Bracket.

Taped aluminum support to mark where holes need to be drilled.

A dot of Elmer's Glue on the end of a bolt while support was in place.

After holding the License Bracket in place I drilled the holes right above where the glue marks were because they needed to be a little higher for proper alignment.

License Bracket side view.

Front bumper access cutouts.

View from the rear of the dummy air intake with the aluminum support installed. It's pretty tight getting hands up through the access cutouts to work. Mine are fairly large and managed but did wind up scraping them up a bit.

Front view after installation. The License Bracket rests nicely on the bottom on the spoiler and only the top edge is firmed up against the nose of the bumper and feels very secure. The car has 3m film pro installed so absolutely no worries of marring the paint.

Placement looks aesthetically good to me if you're going to have a front plate and it wasn't all that hard to do. In addition it's easily reversible leaving only two small 1/4" holes which can be covered with 1/4" black hole plugs if desired.

Front view with my license plate partially photo-shopped for privacy.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 671 Posts

Nicely done!

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Holder...