Notices

What about the Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003 | 12:19 AM
GT Jackson
Pro

Interestingly the the first clean sheet Porsche was the type 114 designed in 1939 with a V10 with a similar mid-engine trailing gearbox layout to the Boxster. Never made it to production however. Kinda looks like a 928, don't you think?

Old 12-23-2003 | 02:27 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

the Boxster i drove was an '00 that a girl at work bought. it was a car we bought at auction and i gave it and *extensive* test drive

for my money, the Audi TT is a lot better car. snappier acceleration and tighter suspension. when the TT V6 comes out, that'll be the car to have...
Old 12-23-2003 | 03:25 AM
seanball72
Instructor

Looks like a VW bug that should have been.

If they modernized that design but kept the lines with a little lower roof and same windo config, I bet it would be a hit. I like it......

The Porsche 939 Classica V1 (version 1)
Old 12-23-2003 | 01:12 PM
John..
Three Wheelin'

Personally, I don't like the Boxster. I know it is a good car, but for the money, there are better cars out there. The resale on them is also very questionable, since you can pick up a 97 for mid 20K now. The styling is also bland anymore.

I agree, it feels very Japanese as well, specifically the interior. But economics mandates this type of thing. Interestingly, the best cars Porsche ever built were just before it almost went belly up....of course this is just my opinion. Now Porsche makes the highest profit per car of any manufacturer and that is impressive, but say goodbye to all the wonderful hand built feel of the older 911 or 928.

Food for thought....the 996 TT, GT2 and GT3 all use the "old" 911 case, as the new unit was not up to the task at hand.....makes me wonder...
Old 12-23-2003 | 10:00 PM
porsche1662
Racer

The Audi is ugly, I cant tell if it is going forward or in reverse. Glorified/Overpriced VW Bug at best. and there is no way that car can keep up with a Boxster. As far as the Jap feel, its the same front end as a new 911, and a lot more fun to drive. I have owned many Jap cars, Supras,Mitsu 3000gt, etc... I like the Boxster the best. Do any of you own this car or basing info on what you think. Our 15 year old 928's are great but the Boxster and 911 are the Porsches of today. I though this was a Porsche Forum ???
Old 12-23-2003 | 10:19 PM
pvoth
Racer

the boxster is really nothing more than 914///914/6 with a water cooled motor....as a past owner of a 914.....man miss that car......the "porsche" people treat ya like you drive a volkswagon......kinda like 911 folks treat us watercooled, front engine 928 folks
Old 12-23-2003 | 11:27 PM
porsche1662
Racer

914 ???. come on. thats a stretch.
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:30 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

From: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

The Audi is ugly...and there is no way that car can keep up with a Boxster.
it doesn't need to keep up with a Boxster, i just think it's better at the things i mentioned.

I though this was a Porsche Forum ???
what's that got to do with it? we're not allowed to say we don't like something?

914 ???. come on. thats a stretch.
why? both mid-engine 2-seaters. it's an updated 914...
Old 12-24-2003 | 05:59 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Cool boxster

How about a Ruf Boxster? Would that get anyone's juices flowing?? Hmmm?

Well, OK then. What if I said that the Boxster was intended to reflect the RS60 ?? Would that make it a Porsche??
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:18 AM
John Krawczyk
Drifting

Does anyone else see the irony of a bunch of 928 guys arguing the merits of the Boxster? I'm with you 1662, the Boxster is a fantastic driving car and the one I drove was a '97 2.5. I can only imagine how much better the 2.7 or the S would be. I love my 928 more than words can express, but i still cant wait to get my own Boxster.
Old 12-24-2003 | 04:02 PM
Bernie
Burning Brakes

I have had the opportunity to get a whiz in a Boxster and most of what I feel has already been stated.
The car felt great suspension wise but the 18 rims+tires on this particular car most certainly contributed there. Pretty car to look at from the outside and definately a Porsche. I found the interior to be a little "brittle". Lots of plastic bits that will surely break.
I had no idea how to get to the motor?
What kind of car is it if you can't "pop the hood" for a looksee ----- I mean c'mon!
I enjoyed the ride but definately did NOT walk away drooling for a Boxster.

I then saw 2 used ones for sale at a local dealership. Interestingly, there was a newer Toyota MR2 Spyder for sale right beside them. I was honestly more attracted to the Toyota. Not at first mind you but after I compared the price of each.

Great car but not in the league of a 928 ----- sorry!
Old 12-24-2003 | 05:03 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Please, no offense intended here but to me the Boxster is a chick car as is the Miata, MR2, new VW bug or any of the newer VW cabriolets, BMW Z3 & Z4, ETC. I can't help it but everytime I see one of these going down the road it makes me chuckle when I see a guy driving. I don't know why but the design just looks very feminine to me.

I've also been told that the Boxster is keeping the independent Porsche mechanics afloat. One independent Porsche master mechanic told me that if it weren't for 944's and Boxsters he'd have to be a BMW mechanic.
Old 12-24-2003 | 06:12 PM
Alan '79 928
Instructor

I couldn't have said it better, Jim. There is just something about the exterior design and the interior layout of those cars that strikes me wrong. I especially find this to be the case with the Z3 (yes I have driven several) and Z4. I am always suprised at the number of men I see driving them. They strike me as being very feminine. I have driven an early Boxter and although it does many things better than my 928 I would not buy one. There are too many around here and I enjoy driving a rare and unique vehicle

I don't mean to offend anyone - I have a modified 1998 Mustang GT that I'm sure many on this board would want nothing to do with. Considering both are 2-door V8 sports cars they could not be more different. Because I have the 928 I rarely drive the Ford. Variety is the spice of life. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:37 PM
Normy
Banned

Three cars commonly get lumped together in the car magazines: the Boxster, Audi's TT, and the Mercedes SLK.

Of the three...you'd be surprised to say that hands down I would take the Mercedes SLK!

OK.

1. Boxster: Average to Better than Average styling, and it has the performance on the curves of the three. Yet...it is not the Porsches of Porsches past. And its not fast- my current 928 is enourmously faster- especially in traffic- than the 986.

2. TT. A great car, despite the fact that it is really just a Mk 4 VW Golf chassis powered by an evolved 1983 VW Rabbit GTI engine. The thing is...there is more art in this chassis than anything on the road. However...

In the words of the indomitable Brian Kinney: "The Audi TT looks great, but the people who drive it don't"

3. SLK. Ok...this one is different for everybody, and this car's appeal has a strangly geographical variant!

IN Orlando, an SLK is transparent.

As it is in most parts of the country. And deservedly so- these aren't anything to write your mom about! Fast but not that fast, you can waste Miata's....maybe. However, if you beat a Miata to a parking space at Wal-Mart in one...the typical 300 pound woman who just stepped out of her Camry in Orlando probably cant tell the difference. But in Fort Lauderdale you get attention when you show up in one, since you have room for only one other. This means you are either alone for a reason or have someone for a reason...

Of the three- I prefer the SLK!

Normy!
'85 S2 5 Speed
Old 12-25-2003 | 02:39 AM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

"these aren't anything to write your mom about! Fast but not that fast"

Uh, the SLK 32 AMG is crazy quick and that's stock. A slight upgrade and you will be over 400 hp.

Quick Reply: What about the Boxster?