Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

911_50 Euro Delivery Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:52 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great photos and great description of your trip so far. Thanks for sharing and enjoy. Will look forward to your updates!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
masernegro
Track Day

Great pics and info. keep em coming
Old 05-17-2014, 03:40 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LSV
Nice area isn't it? From the Vosges to interlaken, you went through Basel and Bern, I think. You just missed m'y area in North shore Lake of Geneva, we could have met a geyser and a graphite. Anyway there's another swiss on the forum who lives in E Switzerland and owns a graphite.
Have fun
Thanks LSV! We would love to see a Graphite car, but haven't yet.
We are having LOTS of fun!
Yesterday I mentioned we had not seen a lot of Porsches on the road - well it must have been 911 Turbo day in Interlaken - there were several, including Cabriolets out to enjoy the sunshine.

Went over the Oberalp pass today.
You know you're in the Alps when:
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

...and this too:
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2014, 07:49 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread, thanks for sharing this. It looks like you are close to where I live! If you are able to, go to Davos, drive over Flüela Pass to Zernez and over Ofenpass and Stelvio to Bormio. This is a awsome ride. According to Jeremy Clarkson the most beautiful road in europe! I suggest you go back from Bormio to Tirano and over Bernina to St. Moritz.

Enjoy your trip and keep us posted!
Old 05-18-2014, 05:22 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

We headed from eastern Switzerland over the Julier Pass and the Ofenpass to northern Italy. Some passes (Furka and Stelvio in particular) are still closed at this time of year, so we were somewhat limited in our route options.
Gitaly as my sister-in-law calls it - the languages are about 50-50 German - Italian; all the traffic signs are in both languages. The area was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire (Sud-Tirol) ceded to Italy after WW-I.

The Julier Pass was superb - pure blue skies, 2284 metres altitude (one NBA star short of 7500 feet), excellent road surface; the Ofenpass (only 2149 m) seemed to have very little snow - some people have commented to us the snow pack was not very deep this year. Loads of motorcycles flying by everywhere, over all the passes. One fellow in [I think] a GT3 (?RS - I wasn't sure) who flew by too fast to wave back, and several other Porsches today, including a Cayman S from Germany that we played tag with up the Julier Pass.

Everywhere we have been the food has been excellent, but it is expensive compared to N.American prices (2 cups of coffee each at the top of the Oberalp pass = 17.60 Swiss Francs!).
Right now we are enjoying a 3 day stay in one spot so we have time to rest from all the driving in the past 10 days (just over 2500 km so far).

One thing we have noted is the temperature of the touch screen on the PCM - have others noticed it gets fairly hot to touch after a couple of hours driving?

Here's a photo-op at the summit of the Julier Pass (note the bicycle just in front of the car - he was barely winded!):
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM
London911
Instructor

Fabulous. Best picture yet! Enjoy your few days 'rest'...
Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hi Vic,
Your car is gorgeous, love the color!

What a wonderful trip and photos!

Thanks so much for sharing!
BeeBalm

Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Top of the Pass dal Fuorn (Ofenpass), looking down into the Müstair Valley towards Italy.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 02:18 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vic, did you equip your car with PDCC ? Can you comment on your experience regarding ride/handling if you do have it. Thanks for your comments. I have decided to drop SPASM on my order and wonder if i should opt for the PDCC.....
Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
One thing we have noted is the temperature of the touch screen on the PCM - have others noticed it gets fairly hot to touch after a couple of hours driving?
My PCM screen does not get hot, no matter how long its on.

Great thread!, keep the pics coming...
Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Vic, did you equip your car with PDCC ? Can you comment on your experience regarding ride/handling if you do have it. Thanks for your comments. I have decided to drop SPASM on my order and wonder if i should opt for the PDCC.....
Hi David,
No PDCC or SPASM on my car. Its primary goal for me is a sports/GT rather than a pure sports car. Of course, depending on your priorities, YOMD.
I am glad for not having SPASM - given many of the speed bumps (sleeping policemen), and sharp ramps in parking garages, I have scraped a few times and can't imagine how frustrating it would be with even less clearance.
The ride has been excellent in my opinion (I am comparing to my 997 C2S), but I have not driven a 991 with either PDCC or SPASM for comparison.
Have fun optioning your car! In my opinion, you cannot go wrong, no matter what your final build is - unless you order PDK (oops, shouldn't have written that - too many glasses of Italian vino !).
Cheers,
Martin
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Galion
My PCM screen does not get hot, no matter how long its on.

Great thread!, keep the pics coming...
Thanks Galion, something I will follow up on when the car makes it way back to Canada. Certainly the touch screen gets quite warm after the car has been running for a few hours and "Margaret" (what we've named the navigator) keeps telling us to take a u turn if possible! She clearly doesn't like us taking alpine passes that she thinks are closed.
Cheers,
Martin
Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Sorry, hit "post reply" twice!

Last edited by VIC_50th; 05-20-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

We are now in Switzerland, specifically in Wilderswil near Interlaken. Some time ago in the 911_50 thread, Eduardo posted a picture taken at Sigriswil, nearby, so we took the north shore road around Lake Thun and went up to Sigriswil for the view south across the lake - thanks Eduardo for piquing our interest - it is a beautiful area!
Bravo Martin! Attached is the photo I previously posted in Rennlist that piqued Martin's interest! Glad you found Sigriswill! It brings back great memories of our many trips in Switzerland!

Gitaly as my sister-in-law calls it - the languages are about 50-50 German - Italian; all the traffic signs are in both languages. The area was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire (Sud-Tirol) ceded to Italy after WW-I.
Another one of my favorites areas in Europe - Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol! I am envious!

Best of luck on the rest of your European vacation. Hope to meet up with you at some point in BC. We often come up to Seattle and can easily hop across the border for a rendezvous!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 911_50 Euro Delivery Experience