Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European Delivery and C4S Recap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Alan, you are on a roll! Thank you for your in-depth feedback on your European Delivery experience! It's all very informative. Looking forward to your other posts as you continue with this excellent thread!

Saludos.
Eduardo
Presently in Vail Valley, CO
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm bummed about the Burmeister review.

Maybe you have to tweak it? This guy did some of that: http://www.whathifi.com/blog/hands-o...r-sound-system
Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z356
Alan, you are on a roll! Thank you for your in-depth feedback on your European Delivery experience! It's all very informative. Looking forward to your other posts as you continue with this excellent thread!
Thank you Eduardo. You set the gold standard with your Porsche Exclusive thread. Hopefully I'll get the hang of writing like you!

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm bummed about the Burmeister review. Maybe you have to tweak it? This guy did some of that: http://www.whathifi.com/blog/hands-o...r-sound-system
On the very last day of my trip I shifted the front/rear fade towards the rear speakers. This lowered the volume of the front speakers and the sound was better. I totally forgot about this article! Thank you for sharing. I will fiddle with the settings some more when I get the car in a few weeks.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM
naaranha
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ty for the excellent review! What do you suggest for fade % to the rear on the Burmester?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the in-depth review. I agree with most of what you said.

Regarding the Burmester, I feel that the sound quality has improved significantly since I first got the car (I'm about 3 months in). I used to think the sound was a bit "harsh", perhaps the treble was a bit too forward (strangely, turning down the treble did not seem to help). However, it seems to have smoothed out now, and it sounds outstanding.

I attribute this to the speakers now being "broken-in." As anyone familiar with high end speakers knows, speakers usually have a break-in period in which their sound quality will normalize to the way they were intended to sound. This can take many hours of playback. For my car, it took about 1.5-2 months to finally sound the way I expected them to (I drive a bit over 1,000 miles per month). I leave bass, treble, and balance all at their neutral settings now.

Of course, it could be that my ears finally adjusted to the sound as well. I never felt that the sound was "muddy", however.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Originally Posted by naaranha
ty for the excellent review! What do you suggest for fade % to the rear on the Burmester?
I set the rear fade to 6. When the car comes home in a couple weeks I will play with lowering the Bass and Treble settings.

Originally Posted by ww007

Regarding the Burmester, I feel that the sound quality has improved significantly since I first got the car (I'm about 3 months in). I used to think the sound was a bit "harsh", perhaps the treble was a bit too forward (strangely, turning down the treble did not seem to help). However, it seems to have smoothed out now, and it sounds outstanding. I attribute this to the speakers now being "broken-in."
Yup, breaking them in should help, and they did improve a little towards the end of my trip (4200 miles, 120 hours of driving, I'm guessing 30-40 hours of stereo usage). I bet they will improve more with additional break-in and fiddling with settings.

BTW, I remember the torture of having to break in a/d/s speakers in the mid 80's and my friends B&W 800 and 801's in the early 90's. But that was easier -- you could leave them on during they day when you went to work
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Originally Posted by reidry
Have you experienced a car without the Light Design Package? Does the Light Design Package option make a marked improvement over the base interior lighting? Would you purchase the option again?
Yes, I've sat in a car at night without the Light Design Package. There is some improvement with the LDP but my expectation was set by similar packages offered by other marquees. All in all I'm glad I have LDP but also glad it was part of a package and I didn't purchase it separately. If I had to pay for LDP on it's own I would skip it.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you like anything?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Did you like anything?
I absolutely love the car. The last few comments simply address two minor details which could be improved. (1) The stereo did not meet expectations but I will try alternate settings after additional break-in and (2) the light design option is NOT bad; it is just less noticeable than on other cars. It would be better, in my opinion, if it offered lights along the headliner, or door panels or behind the trim. I wouldn't spend money on it as a stand-alone option. Despite its limitations I'm still glad I have it as part of Premium Plus package.

The car drives and handles awesomely well on both street and track. Huge fan! There is long list of things I love in Posts #14 and #15 including the Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono paired with manual transmission, second screen for GPS next to tach and appearance of carbon fiber.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alanjcook
I absolutely love the car. The last few comments simply address two minor details which could be improved. (1) The stereo did not meet expectations but I will try alternate settings after additional break-in and (2) the light design option is NOT bad; it is just less noticeable than on other cars. It would be better, in my opinion, if it offered lights along the headliner, or door panels or behind the trim. I wouldn't spend money on it as a stand-alone option. Despite its limitations I'm still glad I have it as part of Premium Plus package.

The car drives and handles awesomely well on both street and track. Huge fan! There is long list of things I love in Posts #14 and #15 including the Sport Exhaust, Sport Chrono paired with manual transmission, second screen for GPS next to tach and appearance of carbon fiber.
You stated that light design doesn't add lights long the headliner or in the door panels or behind the trim. What lights does it add and what extra control does it provide?

Ryan
Old 07-22-2013, 09:13 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^Bump on @reidry's question. Clarity on what lights the Light Design Package adds (location, type, etc.) would be great! Thank you for this thread, btw--great details!

0Q991
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Light Design Package
Additional dimmable ambient LED lighting in overhead console, in area of door handles, door storage compartment, rear seats and footwell for driver and front passenger

I could be wrong but I think this is only available as part of the premium package on the 991, not as a separate option, and is similar to what came with the premium package in my Cayenne S. It's basically "mood" lighting that provides a small amount of interior lighting for convenience at night.

FWIW, if it were a stand alone option like it is on the GT3 I would personally pass on it.

BTW, alancook, really great thread on your new car. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

My car is in transit to USA so I am doing this from memory:

- there is an LED light tube around buttons for reading lights and and Home Link. It does not get very bright
- there is an LED in the door just below your elbow
- there is an LED in the center tunnel near your knees

Here is one picture to help explain better: http://alanjcook.wordpress.com/2013/...of-led-lights/

Each red arrow in the picture points to LED lights mentioned above. You'll also see the overhead lights are on (because the door was open) so can't see clearly what the ambient lights look like in darkness. I'll take a better picture when my car arrives in the US in the next couple weeks.

I also have lighted doorsills. For what it's worth they look sharp in person.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Right, plus there is an LED in the back (1 on each side)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alanjcook
My car is in transit to USA so I am doing this from memory:

- there is an LED light tube around buttons for reading lights and and Home Link. It does not get very bright
- there is an LED in the door just below your elbow
- there is an LED in the center tunnel near your knees

Here is one picture to help explain better: http://alanjcook.wordpress.com/2013/...of-led-lights/

Each red arrow in the picture points to LED lights mentioned above. You'll also see the overhead lights are on (because the door was open) so can't see clearly what the ambient lights look like in darkness. I'll take a better picture when my car arrives in the US in the next couple weeks.

I also have lighted doorsills. For what it's worth they look sharp in person.
Originally Posted by jlanka
Right, plus there is an LED in the back (1 on each side)
The picture helps a bunch!

In my mind the LED in the back is a good one, if I understand correctly without light design there is no lighting in the back at all. Can you confirm?

From the picture it appears that the light design LEDs blend color wise with the map lights when the doors open. Can you confirm if that is indeed the case?

Are the light design LEDs dimmable as a group?

Can they be dimmed individually?

Can they be completely turned off?

Again - thanks in advance.

Ryan

Quick Reply: European Delivery and C4S Recap