Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

How long does the Leipzig delivery experience take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 10:42 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default How long does the Leipzig delivery experience take?

Thanks folks for all the great info! Quick question for those who have done a Leipzig delivery recently. What is the total time from start to finish. Or put another way, if we do the 12.30pm delivery slot, by when will we be able to hit the road? From what I have been reading in the forum, it seems like anywhere from 4-5 hours. We were hoping for the 8-9 am slot but looks like no one from this side of the pond is getting those morning slots. We were planning to drive straight to Baden - Baden post delivery - a 6 hours or so drive. Looks like if the delivery finishes at 5 or 6 pm, we may still be able to make it to Baden Baden (late check in) but a more prudent option may be to take a break halfway - thinking Nurnberg or Wurzburg. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ddas1992; 03-20-2023 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:51 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 983 Likes on 318 Posts

For us, the experience lasted about 6h 30 mins
Old 03-21-2023, 01:09 PM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ddas1992
Thanks folks for all the great info! Quick question for those who have done a Leipzig delivery recently. What is the total time from start to finish. Or put another way, if we do the 12.30pm delivery slot, by when will we be able to hit the road? From what I have been reading in the forum, it seems like anywhere from 4-5 hours. We were hoping for the 8-9 am slot but looks like no one from this side of the pond is getting those morning slots. We were planning to drive straight to Baden - Baden post delivery - a 6 hours or so drive. Looks like if the delivery finishes at 5 or 6 pm, we may still be able to make it to Baden Baden (late check in) but a more prudent option may be to take a break halfway - thinking Nurnberg or Wurzburg. Any suggestions?
You can't plan it in advance, but on my last two Leipzig deliveries--one morning, one afternoon--I asked when I checked in whether I could skip the factory tour and skip lunch. Both times they were very accomodating and arranged for the instructor who does the track time and handover to come in earlier than planned. Including the wait for the instructor to arrive, i was out in about 2.5 hours both times. You do of course miss the factory tour. They may not make sports cars there but it is a "state of the art" facility worth seeing at least once. As for lunch, it's fine, but...it's just lunch.
As for a stop on the way to Baden Baden, there's a Relais & Chateaux called Hotel Hohenhaus in Herleshausen, a little more than 2 hours west of Leipzig. But check to see whether their Michelin Star restaurant is open the night. If not, the food choices are limited (and you may have skipped lunch).
Old 03-21-2023, 06:12 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

Just did it about a month ago. Had early delivery 8:30?
Based on the times on my photos:
On track at 9:00
Unveiled Car 10:50
Finished Tour and having lunch 12:45
On road 2:40

You may want to skip the tour and lunch but....my wife and I really enjoyed the tour. Really interesting like mentioned in previous post, a state of the art facility. The robots are amazing. The lunch was very nice with all of the Porsche table items. Overlooks the track so you get to watch cars on the track while you eat. After lunch we checked out the cars in the restaurant area. It was a great experience especially because my wife loved it and she is not a car person. They treat you great there.

Regarding Baden Baden:
Because we did not know what to expect regarding weather we only booked our first few nights and then booked hotels day before. We were about 9 days through our trip. We decided to use some Marriot points while staying in Baden Baden. We were not expecting much from one of their autograph hotels called Roomers. It was so good we decided to stay an extra day. So many Porsche's there that I thought there might be an event. The valet laughed and said everyday is Porsche day here. Definitely want to be comfortable with the person you are staying with. The Shower has a window into the bedroom. 😊Super modern cool hotel. Really great extra touches like black forest cake and grapes in room and a typewriter with a typed out note to us. Great Breakfast and rooftop bar.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:29 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Originally Posted by tsjoel
Just did it about a month ago. Had early delivery 8:30?
Based on the times on my photos:
On track at 9:00
Unveiled Car 10:50
Finished Tour and having lunch 12:45
On road 2:40

You may want to skip the tour and lunch but....my wife and I really enjoyed the tour. Really interesting like mentioned in previous post, a state of the art facility. The robots are amazing. The lunch was very nice with all of the Porsche table items. Overlooks the track so you get to watch cars on the track while you eat. After lunch we checked out the cars in the restaurant area. It was a great experience especially because my wife loved it and she is not a car person. They treat you great there.

Regarding Baden Baden:
Because we did not know what to expect regarding weather we only booked our first few nights and then booked hotels day before. We were about 9 days through our trip. We decided to use some Marriot points while staying in Baden Baden. We were not expecting much from one of their autograph hotels called Roomers. It was so good we decided to stay an extra day. So many Porsche's there that I thought there might be an event. The valet laughed and said everyday is Porsche day here. Definitely want to be comfortable with the person you are staying with. The Shower has a window into the bedroom. 😊Super modern cool hotel. Really great extra touches like black forest cake and grapes in room and a typewriter with a typed out note to us. Great Breakfast and rooftop bar.
Thanks and this is great info. So from what I am gathering, unless I chose to skip some of the parts, I should account for about 6 hours - so hopefully on road by 6.30 pm. The drive to Baden Baden is about 6 hours - I have done plenty of 6+ hours drives here in the states so should be able to pull one through - let's see how tired we are!
@tsjoel we are also booked at the Roomers - really good to know that it's a great hotel with a 'like-minded' clientele . :-)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:04 PM
tsjoel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 32 Posts

I used my gopro quick app to upload a video to YouTube for you from roomers. Starting to figure this stuff out. So I can share some videos of the trip.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:32 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Did Leipzig tour over the summer. Great experience after many Zuffenhausen deliveries over the years. The factory tour was amazing, wouldn’t want to miss that. The track isn’t very challenging, but anytime I can flog someone else’s car for awhile I am happy! We left after factory tour and hit the road, they seemed very sad we weren’t staying for the meal.

Baden Baden is a Great Place, we go there often. But, I wouldn’t want to waste a night there by arriving at 10-11 at night as everything is closed. Would maybe take in another city to stay after driving a few hours. Bamberg is on the Way and is a gorgeous old town with a huge beer history, so many places to eat/drink during a brief stay. If arriving at dinner time would be perfect.

have fun! I am picking my GT4 RS up this summer again in Leipzig as it was such a nice experience.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 04:22 PM
ddas1992
Advanced

Originally Posted by disden
Did Leipzig tour over the summer. Great experience after many Zuffenhausen deliveries over the years. The factory tour was amazing, wouldn’t want to miss that. The track isn’t very challenging, but anytime I can flog someone else’s car for awhile I am happy! We left after factory tour and hit the road, they seemed very sad we weren’t staying for the meal.

Baden Baden is a Great Place, we go there often. But, I wouldn’t want to waste a night there by arriving at 10-11 at night as everything is closed. Would maybe take in another city to stay after driving a few hours. Bamberg is on the Way and is a gorgeous old town with a huge beer history, so many places to eat/drink during a brief stay. If arriving at dinner time would be perfect.

have fun! I am picking my GT4 RS up this summer again in Leipzig as it was such a nice experience.
Oh wow.. I was thinking Nuremberg as a stopover point but just did a quick search and love what I for Bamberg.. We should be able to get there by 7 or 8 pm - just in time for dinner and a few beers.. Being summer, I think it's daylight till way past 9 pm .. Looking for hotels now.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:09 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

I asked Joey that for Aug delivery - he said I can plan to be done by 6 pm (so I am guessing 12pm delivery). Personally, I will be heading to the Alps, and will probably drive an hour after that from Leipzig to get closer, and find a hotel.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:25 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lucifer
I asked Joey that for Aug delivery - he said I can plan to be done by 6 pm (so I am guessing 12pm delivery). Personally, I will be heading to the Alps, and will probably drive an hour after that from Leipzig to get closer, and find a hotel.

This was last August. Picked up my Spyder in Leipzig at 8:30 slot. Enjoyed track time and factory tour. Left before the nice meal. High tailed it down south and enjoyed Großglockner in Austria the same day as delivery. The lack of speed limits on autobahns certainly helps!
The following 3 users liked this post by disden:
Angryinch (03-23-2023), ddas1992 (03-24-2023), toph4242 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 09:09 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

This was last August. Picked up my Spyder in Leipzig at 8:30 slot. Enjoyed track time and factory tour. Left before the nice meal. High tailed it down south and enjoyed Großglockner in Austria the same day as delivery. The lack of speed limits on autobahns certainly helps!
Amazing photo.
I want to take my time and enjoy this experience.
My full trip is around ~31h, according to Google Maps (had to set the date to the future 'cause half of the passes are closed now) so probably around 5 days
Old 03-23-2023, 09:26 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Amazing photo.
I want to take my time and enjoy this experience.
My full trip is around ~31h, according to Google Maps (had to set the date to the future 'cause half of the passes are closed now) so probably around 5 days
remember that August is vacation season for Europeans. Depending on where you go it might be very crowded. Northern Italy was an absolute crowded mess in the mountain passes, so if planning to go there add some anticipated time and plan hotel stays in advance. Germany and Austria were fine. I usually go in September to avoid the crowds but my work schedule didn’t allow it last time.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:51 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

remember that August is vacation season for Europeans. Depending on where you go it might be very crowded. Northern Italy was an absolute crowded mess in the mountain passes, so if planning to go there add some anticipated time and plan hotel stays in advance. Germany and Austria were fine. I usually go in September to avoid the crowds but my work schedule didn’t allow it last time.
The delivery is Aug 31st, so the actual trip would be during September.
Before relocating to the US and covid, I used to travel to this area of Europe at least 3-4 times a year (I keep all my Grossglockner stickers as they were trophies ), and I always had no issues finding great zimmers (tbf that was before covid).

Would appreciate any tips you might have.
My build is also very similar to yours it seems
Old 03-26-2023, 03:56 AM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

Staying at Roomers now. Just to let people know the glass viewing area to the shower can be closed off with a mirrrored door. Used Baden Baden as base camp for Black Forest drives will post in detail later. Just didn’t want people planning to not book this hotel based on this alone. The design aesthetic is eclectic and awesome.

The following users liked this post:
ddas1992 (03-26-2023)

Quick Reply: How long does the Leipzig delivery experience take?