Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

ED April in Zuffenhausen - Advice and tips please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:24 AM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't worry about a drop off somewhere other than the factories. I've dropped two cars with the forwarding company at Paris Charles de Gaulle and they arrivedat the port very quickly. (It did cost about 1K euros each time). The issue these days is how long it will take to get on a boat once the car arrives at the port.
The following 2 users liked this post by ragerard:
Angryinch (02-07-2023), toph4242 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:34 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by ragerard
I wouldn't worry about a drop off somewhere other than the factories. I've dropped two cars with the forwarding company at Paris Charles de Gaulle and they arrivedat the port very quickly. (It did cost about 1K euros each time). The issue these days is how long it will take to get on a boat once the car arrives at the port.
Good to know, thank you. I was basing my fear off of a couple horror stories of the car sitting at these alternative drop points for 2-4+ weeks before even moving to get in line somewhere else.
Good to know its not always the case.
I was really hoping to visit some family/friends in Amsterdam on this trip... Would have been perfect to just drop the car right at Emden!! I wonder why this option went away since the car needs to end up there anyways.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:46 AM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

It looks like this thread is lot more active recently @toph4242 . So I am currently scheduled to pick up my carrera T on 3/16 In Leipzig. My current tentative schedule is as follows:

My cousin and I arrive in Frankfurt early morning on 3/14 catch a train to Stuttgart and then see the MB museum that day.
3/15 Porsche Factory tour at 10 am and museum after then catch a train to Leipzig.
3/16 Pickup and then make my way to Spa in Belgium. Booked track time on 3/18.
3/19 going to the Ring.
3/19 -3/21 Black Forest Baden Baden. Want to visit Gin distilleries
Drop off vehicle in Sindelfingen on 3/21 and catch a train to Frankfurt that evening and fly out on the morning of 3/22.

So now questions/suggestions
I am assuming no advanced booking is need for train travel. If so what is a good site to purchase tickets.
I want to put on the break in miles using the AP method so a minimum of a 1000 km before getting on the track. Direct route from Leipzig to Spa is little over 600 km. Any route suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking Dusseldorf or Cologne as stopping point on the night of 3/16.
Advice on routes through the Black Forest. Also is it worth staying/seeing anywhere else in the Back Forest besides Baden Baden.

The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 11:49 AM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reddysum
It looks like this thread is lot more active recently @toph4242 . So I am currently scheduled to pick up my carrera T on 3/16 In Leipzig. My current tentative schedule is as follows:

My cousin and I arrive in Frankfurt early morning on 3/14 catch a train to Stuttgart and then see the MB museum that day.
3/15 Porsche Factory tour at 10 am and museum after then catch a train to Leipzig.
3/19 going to the Ring.
Drop off vehicle in Sindelfingen on 3/21 and catch a train to Frankfurt that evening and fly out on the morning of 3/22.

I am assuming no advanced booking is need for train travel. If so what is a good site to purchase tickets.
I want to put on the break in miles using the AP method so a minimum of a 1000 km before getting on the track. Direct route from Leipzig to Spa is little over 600 km. Any route suggestions would be appreciated. I was thinking Dusseldorf or Cologne as stopping point on the night of 3/16.
Advice on routes through the Black Forest. Also is it worth staying/seeing anywhere else in the Back Forest besides Baden Baden.
Definitely buy train tickets in advance. Deutsche Bahn site is bahn.com.
reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:02 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 990 Likes on 322 Posts

Get the train tickets straight from the source with DB: https://www.bahn.com/en
I'd recommend the ICE 598 train first class. Very affordable and stress free. Stuttgart Hbf to Leipzig Hbf. I presume you are staying at the hotel that Porsche has partnered with for ED at the Steigenberger Grandhotel in Leipzig? It's about a 10 minute walk from the Hbf.

A great road to take around the Baden Baden area is the B500. Very scenic.
The following 2 users liked this post by woobiee:
HerkDriver (11-05-2023), reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:06 PM
bobert75
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 254 Posts

The Black Forest High Road - B500 - basically runs north & south (maybe that's not ideal for your itinerary?). There are two separate parts to it - the northern chunk runs from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt while the southern chunk runs from Triberg to Waldshut-Tiengen (the first part can be connected to the second part via B33 & B294). I plan to spend a day & night in Strasbourg in between driving the two parts of B500. It's only a one-hour drive from Freudenstadt to Strasbourg via B28 (I drove this once before back in 2017).
The following 2 users liked this post by bobert75:
Angryinch (02-08-2023), reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:19 PM
ragerard
Rennlist Member

3/19 going to the Ring.

On the 15th, if you like good steak and a great (very reasonably priced) wine list, book a table for dinner at Christophorus, the restaurant at the Porsche Museum. Great food, not cheap (but neither are the cars.
reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:22 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

3/19 going to the Ring.

I still can't believe you are going to have your Rubystar T in just a few weeks. You might even see mine on your factory tour. My scheduled build dates are 3/3-3/10... but if there are any delays at all, should be in the final assembly or the CP8.0 area when you walk through.
*I fully support the AP method before going on track. I am doing my ED with 2 college buddies and I know they are going to be chirping in my ear to open her up...but I will have to keep my cool and get the first 1.5 days of driving un under 4500rpm.
*I've spent some time in Dusseldorf... for sure more art/fashion focused... lots of interesting things to see, but I can't speak to Cologne....
*when you are in Baden-Baden you are pretty close to France... There are some beautiful country drives through that region as well and some good Wine/cheese tasting for sure! I would for sure +1 Strasburg recommendation given earlier.
reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 02:30 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 990 Likes on 322 Posts

Agreed! Christophorus at the Zuff factory is great. The Leipzig restaurant...not so much unfortunately.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:49 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,216 Likes on 710 Posts

Can anyone recommend a really good wine tour in Baden Baden? Pinot Noir perhaps?
Old 02-08-2023, 04:05 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobert75
The Black Forest High Road - B500 - basically runs north & south (maybe that's not ideal for your itinerary?). There are two separate parts to it - the northern chunk runs from Baden-Baden to Freudenstadt while the southern chunk runs from Triberg to Waldshut-Tiengen (the first part can be connected to the second part via B33 & B294). I plan to spend a day & night in Strasbourg in between driving the two parts of B500. It's only a one-hour drive from Freudenstadt to Strasbourg via B28 (I drove this once before back in 2017).

Good details right here for the Black Forest drive to Baden Baden, B500 looks great.

Here is a route I plotted from Stuttgart to Baden Baden via B500:

Baden-Baden, Germany to Roter Baum, Konrad-Adenauer-Straße 4, 70173 Stuttgart, Germany - Google Maps

EDIT:

This route through 462 looks decent too, anyone know a good route from the factory to Baden?

Porsche Museum to Baden-Baden, Germany - Google Maps

EDIT2:

Another route I found on here, does a loop around, the guy from Rennlist said this was full of good sights and roads.

Pennsylvaniastraße to Pennsylvaniastraße - Google Maps

Last edited by Angryinch; 02-08-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:36 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Here is an older Porsche travel guide with various routes for Spa, Alps, Prague, etc etc:

European Delivery Travel Guide.pdf (dropbox.com)
The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
reddysum (02-08-2023), toph4242 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 09:00 PM
reddysum
Instructor

Received 262 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. I would do Chistophorus for lunch but do they offer a menu during lunch? When clicking the link it looks like a fixed menu. Maybe I need to email them. I won't have time to do dinner. Still have to find a way to put on miles from Leipzig to Spa in 1.5 days...
Old 02-08-2023, 11:00 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Here is a bunch of different routes for the Black Forest and Baden Baden. Different loops around or up to Baden, some really good info!

The complete driver's guide to the Black Forest - Part I - Through my eye (emodiblog.com)
reddysum (02-08-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 01:41 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Our car wasn't ready but we made the trip.

Our car wasn't ready, but since they notified us only a week ahead, we made the trip anyway.
1. We had a choice of two hotels. We stayed in the one closed to the main Stuttgart Platz. It was very nice and we would recommend. I think it was the Althoff Hotel Am Schlossgarten.
2. No need to use a taxi. The Porsche factory is very near the train, and the main Stuttgart station (Hauptbahnhof) was close walking distance. Porsche gives you two taxi vouchers, but you can save them for something else.
3. You definitely should plan to spend two hours at least in the Porsche museum. We had a private guide who took us into the workshop.
4. Don't waste your time in the store.
5. They'll give you breakfast at the Porsche cafe.
6. If the weather is good, and you have time, visit the Wilhema Zoo and Park. Again, we took the train.

Quick Reply: ED April in Zuffenhausen - Advice and tips please