Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Do you recommend European Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 03:59 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Do you recommend European Delivery?

To those who have done it, do you recommend it? Pros and cons?

Is it possible to do it in the winter/snow months?

Experiences, comments and suggestions welcomed.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:14 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 983 Likes on 318 Posts

Yes it's worth it. Complimentary factory tour, meal, hotel stay, car insurance from Porsche.

Yes you can do it in the winter months but it's not as enjoyable. They fit your car with complimentary snow tires between Oct and April (specific dates vary by year). Many mountain passes are also closed during these times.

Ordinarily, a con for ED is a delayed delivery vs US delivery. But in rare cases it may speed allocation up. When I did mine earlier this year (during covid, supply issues, etc), I received an allocation within 2 months of order demand if I elected to do ED. Just shy of one year later, my car is here. If I did not do ED, it's highly likely I'd still be on the allocation wait list.
The following 2 users liked this post by woobiee:
Patriot (11-16-2022), TheGeneral (11-16-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:37 AM
joydrive
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 54 Posts

Thoughts on Zuffenhousen vs Leipzig pickup?

I’m doing EU in April (est) and was told I had to pick up in Leipzig because Zuffenhousen is full.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:33 PM
JeepJLU2020
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by joydrive
Thoughts on Zuffenhousen vs Leipzig pickup?

I’m doing EU in April (est) and was told I had to pick up in Leipzig because Zuffenhousen is full.

Just did this trip from Leipzig. Want to do it again. Was awesome.

Last edited by JeepJLU2020; 11-17-2022 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patriot (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 04:45 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

I appreciate everyone is different but since you asked il share my experience.

I have now done ED three times (911 GTS, M5, GT3) and I can’t wait to do it again.

It’s an adventure. You get to drive your amazing new car on (mostly) excellent roads to many places that you have almost certainly never seen before.

I did ED last November with a GT3 and I was worried that the weather and the snow tires and the mountain passes being closed would make it less enjoyable. I had a great trip!

The car handled surprisingly well on winter tires (including track days at Spa Francorchamps and Dijon and a few laps at Nurburgring) and I found some great roads that weren’t mountain passes.

I don’t know European weather well enough to know how ED would work in “real” winter months but I’d be willing to try!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nine_thousand:
Patriot (11-18-2022), tsjoel (12-02-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 06:21 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses so far. Giving serious thought to ordering a 992S but with a manual transmission, for European Delivery, preferably in the winter/snow season.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:52 PM
RaceDeck
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 41 Posts

I highly recommend it. We just got back from taking delivery in Leipzig of my GT3 Touring cxx and had a great trip - Spent time on the track driving a new GT3 and TurboS, had a great tour and drove some great roads ending in Stuttgart. I would recommend to try and get the pickup at Liepzig ( cool town, great track, nice facility)

All Rennlist Members Get Club Discounts on RACEDECK, the original USA made, multi-patented modular garage flooring system

22' GT3 Touring CXX - Auratium Green / Graphite Blue interior ( CXX )
991 GT2 RS Weissach - Chalk
991.2 Carrera 4 S in Chalk
993 Turbo White/ red interior
997.1 911 GT2 Black
73 - RS custom 3.6L White
24' GT4RS Oslo (still in production)
92' 964 soon a "Turbo Study"
Old 11-18-2022, 01:01 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

We've done it twice

Once with BMW and once with Porsche

We enjoy traveling around Europe and German cars so for us it was a no brainer

Time permitting of course

Old 11-19-2022, 01:54 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

I tried doing a ED for my GT4 but the factory kept changing the delivery date which forced changing air flights and all the hotels and so on-- a real pain. I finally got smart and simply RENTED a 911 from the Porsche museum Porsche Drive program for 15 days -- cost around $400 -- including insurance. I could schedule that to the date and the hour of pick-up and I could still reserve a factory tour and eat in the restaurant and tour the museum and I didn't have to worry about my new $200,000 car getting damaged in tight underground parking lots, or chips from the roads etc. Cars that do ED do not get the blocks in the suspension or the white plastic protection wrap to protect during shipping as well.

Just an idea -- makes planning a lot more reliable--
Old 11-19-2022, 11:25 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

^^ Not understanding. Did you decide against ED altogether?
Old 11-20-2022, 06:22 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,127 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa32
I tried doing a ED for my GT4 but the factory kept changing the delivery date which forced changing air flights and all the hotels and so on-- a real pain. I finally got smart and simply RENTED a 911 from the Porsche museum Porsche Drive program for 15 days -- cost around $400 -- including insurance. I could schedule that to the date and the hour of pick-up and I could still reserve a factory tour and eat in the restaurant and tour the museum and I didn't have to worry about my new $200,000 car getting damaged in tight underground parking lots, or chips from the roads etc. Cars that do ED do not get the blocks in the suspension or the white plastic protection wrap to protect during shipping as well.

Just an idea -- makes planning a lot more reliable--

It’s $400 euro a DAY to rent a 911…. Not sure how you got $400 for 15 days. I just rented a BMW 1 series for Europe and it was $1500 euros for 7 days.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:59 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Should have added 400 Euros per day. A 718 is less and a Turbo is more- here is the rental website for the Porsche Drive at the Museum and factory location. There are Porsche dealers all over Europe that also rent Porsche vehicles as well -- in France and so on. Their pricing is generally the same at any Porsche dealer in Europe, but I found that the prices in France at a Porsche dealer were a lot more. This includes the insurance for the car with a $2500 deductible and each additional day gives you additional mileage, but a ten-day rental will give you about 2,000 kilometers of included mileage. What does it cost you to out 2,000 miles on your brand-new car even before you get it back to the states? I would say $1 a kilometer is a reasonable estimate. This also includes full roadside assistance. You can rent a turbo or a Cayenne or Macon as well. They have Taycons if you want to experiment with the charging grid in Europe or a Panamera to take your friends in a luxury vehicle. Personally, I think the 911 4S cabriolet for 419 Euros a day is the sweet spot. This assumes you can get your wife to pack for a trip to Europe in a small suitcase and a backpack that will fit in the front trunk of a 911.

If car values continue to plummet perhaps asking the dealer to pay for 10 days of a Porsche Drive rental of the same car you are buying instead of a European delivery might become an interesting way to get a discount on a new car and a trip in Europe in a Porsche like your own car. Dealer might get a discount on the Porsche Drive cost.

Here is the website -- for the Museum location. They also get all new cars for each summer season so you might even be the first to drive a brand-new Porsche even -- they have cars in all sorts of colors it might be possible to ask them to reserve the color of your choice-- if that matters to you.

https://customer.drive.porsche.com/g...d-and-vehicles

The 911 4S was the perfect car for traveling through Europe and our Bichon Frise had a great time in the back seats. A much better car for this trip than the GT4 I was originally going to pick up at the Factory. I was not crazy about the gray color - I would have preferred a bright green or blue etc. Attached are photos on our trip in Europe in the rented 911.
Attached Images    
Old 11-21-2022, 05:19 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

FYI - 400 Euros is approximately $409.
Old 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

As to whether ED is feasible, I called my selling dealer about ordering an S but with manual transmission and for ED, I would be 14th in line with about 3 allocations per year. There was no way he could tell me when my order would lock. Called the next closest dealer, had a nice chat with a senior salesperson, said he would “look at what his list looks like” and get back to me. Haven’t heard back.

Last edited by Patriot; 11-23-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:20 AM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Go on the website for Porsche drive and book a car - any Porsche- and have a fantastic experience and $400 a day to rent a $170,000 brand new car is a bargain. Reserve the car to pick up on exactly the date and time you want to drive away.

a lot less anxiety as well than driving around in your own brand new $170,000 sports car on unfamiliar roads and parking scenarios. Porsche should offer new buyers 10 days driving the same model in Europe for free or at a huge discount as an alternative to the ED program which must be a nightmare for them to manage.

think of the trouble caused if your new car was damaged in Europe or worse stolen!

porsche only rents out brand new cars. Currently the museum porsche drive website will show almost every date this coming summer for any car as unavailable. This is because they are in the process of replacing the 2022 cars with 2023 models and in early January they should release all the summer calendar for available cars.

Quick Reply: Do you recommend European Delivery?