Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Do you recommend European Delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 02:23 AM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

I chose to do ED for my purchase because its one of this "bucket list" to drive your own car in the country of which its built and designed. My delivery date is only 10 days away, and I am very excited yet a little worried about the weather/road conditions. Porsche rental would be my safety option if we encounter icy/snowy weather the next 10 days, but for me I will still try my best to drive it for the trip.
To add to the fun, I have a few very good car friends as well as my lovely wife sharing this experience with me, that makes it all worth while!
Most ED write ups are of course in spring to fall, with it being a Porsche we all want to take it to the "ring" or some alpine passes, myself included. However, ED in December has some good stuff we can do as well! Christmas markets, festive everywhere, and some of these tourist/scenic attractions are so much more beautiful with light snow on them! I don't think this will be my only opportunity to do ED so I am soaking it all in and enjoy all of it.

My answer is 200% yes, take ED instead of cutting the ribbon in a dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aussiefishy:
MrInternational (12-01-2022), Patriot (11-29-2022)
Old 11-29-2022, 07:55 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

^^100%. Would love to do it in winter/snow.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:33 PM
PBoxS986
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussiefishy
I chose to do ED for my purchase because its one of this "bucket list" to drive your own car in the country of which its built and designed. My delivery date is only 10 days away, and I am very excited yet a little worried about the weather/road conditions. Porsche rental would be my safety option if we encounter icy/snowy weather the next 10 days, but for me I will still try my best to drive it for the trip.
To add to the fun, I have a few very good car friends as well as my lovely wife sharing this experience with me, that makes it all worth while!
Most ED write ups are of course in spring to fall, with it being a Porsche we all want to take it to the "ring" or some alpine passes, myself included. However, ED in December has some good stuff we can do as well! Christmas markets, festive everywhere, and some of these tourist/scenic attractions are so much more beautiful with light snow on them! I don't think this will be my only opportunity to do ED so I am soaking it all in and enjoy all of it.

My answer is 200% yes, take ED instead of cutting the ribbon in a dealership.
any specific suggestions on what to do during a winter ED?
Old 11-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

@Aussiefishy Would be great if you could post pictures here of your ED in the winter.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:59 PM
MrInternational
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting regarding ED allowing you to get a car faster. The opposite was told to me when I had my demand order placed. Granted I am set on doing euro delivery as it's been a bucket list item for many years.
Old 12-01-2022, 11:13 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

For sure I will try my best and share my itinerary write up after the trip. This forum has been a great source of information and I will play my part in contributing what I can!
Old 12-01-2022, 11:16 PM
TheGeneral
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MrInternational
Interesting regarding ED allowing you to get a car faster. The opposite was told to me when I had my demand order placed. Granted I am set on doing euro delivery as it's been a bucket list item for many years.
My allocation came as a result of agreeing to do a ED which was not my wish. If I had said “no” though, I would have been passed over for the next guy in line that would have agreed to a ED. As of a couple weeks ago there were over 135 people waiting on some version of a 911 at this dealership. I’ve been on the list since October ‘21 for a C4/GTS/Cab. An ED “sale” evidently gets the dealer another allocation so they have an incentive to grab the ED’s when they get them offered to them. Needless to say when I moved to the top of the list in August and was offered a ED to get the car allocation, I took it. All that said, my car evidently starts the production build tomorrow (Friday - 2nd of Dec) with a completion date of around December 15. (Who knows what it will really be.) My ED is scheduled for the first week of April. My guess is weather that time of year is iffy (could be fine or could be not) so I’m uncertain what I will do. The last thing I want is to drive a $210K+ car I’ve dreamed about for my entire life in messy weather, salt/cinders, wet/snowy/icy roads, tiny parking garages etc… so I might rent a 911 (or Cayenne) for a week - but then again I might just fly over, do the drill and come back the next day.

Thoughts from others on routes/things to do and see that time of year for say a week with my wife IF I do decide to travel some???
Old 12-03-2022, 11:15 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

It is a great experience. You make it what you want it to be for you. Taking a new 911 after 100 mile break in to the Nurburgring is a great experience. End up there later on a Sunday and the locals will be heading home. I don’t think you will regret it.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:30 PM
Dubber
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
To those who have done it, do you recommend it? Pros and cons?

Is it possible to do it in the winter/snow months?

Experiences, comments and suggestions welcomed.
100% recommend doing ED. This was a bucket list item for me and it did not disappoint. We chose to do Leipzig. And yes you can do a winter delivery, but they will include "temporary" winter tire/wheel package on the car. Downside is you will have to return your car back to that location. I know some end up dropping their vehicles off a another location.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:36 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Originally Posted by PBoxS986
any specific suggestions on what to do during a winter ED?
1. Christmas markets
2. Scenic castles with snowy backdrop
3. Some or most locations like you would visit if it’s summer or fall?

Road conditions were fantastic and the winter tires provide you with an additional peace of mind!

For me, the first two are enough for me to go ED, the bonus would be now I will have the full driving season to enjoy the car here instead of missing a large part of spring/summer.

hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:39 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jack F
It is a great experience. You make it what you want it to be for you. Taking a new 911 after 100 mile break in to the Nurburgring is a great experience. End up there later on a Sunday and the locals will be heading home. I don’t think you will regret it.
when you start the car it says break in mileage =3,500 km. Lol

During break in you are supposed to keep it under 5k rpm… a fun tidbit is the car max speed on 6th gear at 5k rpm is 201km/h… plenty fast for me on the autobahn! Remember to not stay at same rpm for too long!!

happy holidays
Old 12-21-2022, 06:42 PM
Aussiefishy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patriot
@Aussiefishy Would be great if you could post pictures here of your ED in the winter.
yes soon. I will report the details on the ED forum within Rennlist when I get some time off during the holiday season!! Although photos I got have not much snow hahaha.

Stay tuned.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:53 PM
Ducati992
Track Day

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine_thousand
I appreciate everyone is different but since you asked il share my experience.

I have now done ED three times (911 GTS, M5, GT3) and I can’t wait to do it again.

It’s an adventure. You get to drive your amazing new car on (mostly) excellent roads to many places that you have almost certainly never seen before.

I did ED last November with a GT3 and I was worried that the weather and the snow tires and the mountain passes being closed would make it less enjoyable. I had a great trip!

The car handled surprisingly well on winter tires (including track days at Spa Francorchamps and Dijon and a few laps at Nurburgring) and I found some great roads that weren’t mountain passes.

I don’t know European weather well enough to know how ED would work in “real” winter months but I’d be willing to try!
Nine_thousand - glad that you were able to do an ED last year with your GT3. You commented that you were able to take ‘a few laps at Nurburgring’. Can you advise how you were able to do this with your GT3? Did it require any special insurance or local license plates instead of the factory supplied plates? We hope to do the same in LH 2023 during our ED from Zuffenhausen.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:29 PM
FRIZOU72
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in France near le mans where you Can find the Porsche expérience center
Some customers recover New PorscheHete there is thé 24h museum....ans thé road thé hunaudietresLe mans is about 1 jour bye train from parisI dont kwow if it s possible to have got your New car hete
Old 01-03-2023, 07:20 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm going to add my experience, do I recommend it? Absolutely!

This was a bucket list item for me, dream come true and my first Porsche experience. I did this back in 2017, with a 911 Carrera, picked up in Leipzig, which I recommend because of the track experience.

The roads in Germany are amazing and well marked and surprising easy to navigate. Its funny, when I came back home (Vancouver), I was shocked how poor our roads are and the lack of signage and markings.

My best recommendation is to find a good dealer and salesperson who is willing to go to bat for you as there are many twists and turns to the process. I was luck to have a referral to a senior sales person who spent the time to make things as smooth as possible.

Any cons? My only regret was not taking the extra time to drive on the Nurburgring!

I think Porsche is the only manufacturer doing European delivery, now that BMW and M-B have stopped, so I would recommend you do this before Porsche changes things. I'd love to do a 5 series or E-class, but looks like that won't be in the cards.
The following users liked this post:
Dubber (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Do you recommend European Delivery?