Notices

Philly Members?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 09:49 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

If u want to save the tax try Sports Car Tire in wilmington, de. Ask for Less he is the owner of the shop and a 911.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:19 AM
*Eastep*
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

YOHB?
Old 03-07-2020, 12:24 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
About to need my first set of replacement tires on 718 Cayman S. Going to replace the Goodyear Eagle F1s with PS4S. I'm a long-time Tire Rack customer and happy to source from them to avoid dealer-level pricing. Usually happy to have the gas station up the road do my mounting and balancing for my DDs. However, I have painted rims and want to be sure they're handled correctly. Any recs? I'm in Bucks (Newtown/Wrightstown area). TIA.
I've had a good experience with installs from Jack Mobile Tire to come to the house to mount/balance. I had them swap my summer/winter tires this year. $132 to mount/balance a set of 4 tires and they do it in your garage. They have the tire mounting machines that are touch-less, so no issues with any marring on the wheels. The down side is that it's not a road force balancer, but I haven't had any issues with triple digit speeds. I think they meet/beat TireRack prices or you can just order from TireRack.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:16 PM
RLNTL3S

Received 191 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
About to need my first set of replacement tires on 718 Cayman S. Going to replace the Goodyear Eagle F1s with PS4S. I'm a long-time Tire Rack customer and happy to source from them to avoid dealer-level pricing. Usually happy to have the gas station up the road do my mounting and balancing for my DDs. However, I have painted rims and want to be sure they're handled correctly. Any recs? I'm in Bucks (Newtown/Wrightstown area). TIA.
I would suggest calling Porsche of The Main Line and getting a quote. I had them swap tires for me in the past and they were very reasonably priced.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RLNTL3S
I would suggest calling Porsche of The Main Line and getting a quote. I had them swap tires for me in the past and they were very reasonably priced.
I bought my last set of PS4S from them. They charged about $300 to mount/balance 4 tires.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:14 PM
RLNTL3S

Originally Posted by ShaunP
I bought my last set of PS4S from them. They charged about $300 to mount/balance 4 tires.
That's about twice as much as what I paid, which was a while ago. This was also on my Boxster that I no longer have. Guess their prices increased.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:30 AM
*Eastep*
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShaunP
That's about twice as much as what I paid, which was a while ago. This was also on my Boxster that I no longer have. Guess their prices increased.
Why are ya'll paying so much!?
The shop I use only charges like $12? $16? a wheel to mount and balance. Doesnt matter if they're 15s or 22s. They use peel on weights and road force balance, too.
Unfortunately they dont have N2. I go to another shop for that. They charge $3 or $4 a tire to be filled with nitrogen.
My local Porsche dealership doesn't even have N2 access. They reccomend the BMW dealer across the street. BMW wanted $84+ tax to fill 4 tires!!!
Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 AM
RLNTL3S

Originally Posted by *Eastep*
Why are ya'll paying so much!?
The shop I use only charges like $12? $16? a wheel to mount and balance. Doesnt matter if they're 15s or 22s. They use peel on weights and road force balance, too.
Unfortunately they dont have N2. I go to another shop for that. They charge $3 or $4 a tire to be filled with nitrogen.
My local Porsche dealership doesn't even have N2 access. They reccomend the BMW dealer across the street. BMW wanted $84+ tax to fill 4 tires!!!
If you've seen some recent videos of cars with center locks going bye bye because the wheels were not tightened at all, or tightened improperly... that alone would make me go somewhere where they've used a center lock wrench before.

Also, I don't know about you, but I had dealerships mess up my wheels during tire changes. If a dealership messes up - you get a brand new wheel. If a tire shop messes up, you get a cheap repair job if you are lucky.

So... at the end of the day, it depends what you want to deal with. To me, on a brand new GT3 it's worth paying a bit more to go to the dealer (or a trusted local mechanic that is also a friend).
Old 03-12-2020, 12:09 PM
*Eastep*
Instructor

If you've seen some recent videos of cars with center locks going bye bye because the wheels were not tightened at all, or tightened improperly... that alone would make me go somewhere where they've used a center lock wrench before.

Also, I don't know about you, but I had dealerships mess up my wheels during tire changes. If a dealership messes up - you get a brand new wheel. If a tire shop messes up, you get a cheap repair job if you are lucky.

So... at the end of the day, it depends what you want to deal with. To me, on a brand new GT3 it's worth paying a bit more to go to the dealer (or a trusted local mechanic that is also a friend).
Your I agree with those points and context. I must not have read where the topic was center-lock wheels or a new GT car.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:15 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

@*Eastep* Do you mind sharing where you go for your tires? PM me if you wish. Thanks
Old 03-14-2020, 09:53 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts

Picked it up yesterday, and its already been stolen. Wife approved!
You know the ole "happy wife, happy life" edict. It is working well so far. We've put 500+ miles on it in 24 hours.

The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (03-18-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 11:13 PM
*Eastep*
Instructor

Originally Posted by k.alexander
@*Eastep* Do you mind sharing where you go for your tires? PM me if you wish. Thanks
I live near Ephrata, so I go to Rabers Tire. CJs tires does nitrogen though, and offer free "top- offs" with it.
The following users liked this post:
k.alexander (03-15-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
RLNTL3S

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
Picked it up yesterday, and its already been stolen. Wife approved!
You know the ole "happy wife, happy life" edict. It is working well so far. We've put 500+ miles on it in 24 hours.
Congratulations... Drive in good health!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:01 PM
pinballplanet
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone gotten any work performed by

Auto and Truck Outfitters, 104 Wilmington-Westchester Pike (rt 202), Chads Ford PA ?

I’m considering having a Stealth hitch installed on my 2020 panamera ST e-hybrid. The job entails r&r of the entire bumper cover and prying up of some interior trim, as well as cutting/trimming of the underside gravel guard and fascia.

I’m kind of particular (as many of us are) and a bit hesitant to have anyone do this work lest they damage the bumper cover and the trim parts in the process.

This installer was recommended by the vendor and by my dealer. Still, I’m looking for folks with personal experience with them.

thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

They did the lining on our grooming van and did a repair at no charge so they stand behind their warrentee. They r bassically a full retail bolt on projects shop. Im sure they can handle a bolt on hitch.

Quick Reply: Philly Members?