Notices

Independent Shop Lowell, MA

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 PM
Rico_FL
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Independent Shop Lowell, MA

Does anyone know of a shop/dealer that would be willing to perform a PPI on a 996 Turbo Cab in Lowell MA?
Car is located in Drum Hill area.

Thank you
Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Eurotech in Framingham, MA is a great shop. Bill has done maintenance on my 991, and did all my PCA-track inspections. Bill is awesome and usually works seven days/week, so he might be able to squeeze you in on a weekend. http://www.eurotechracecars.com/

KMC in Lawrence, MA is another highly regarded Porsche shop. Track friends use them, but I have no first-hand experience. https://kmcauto.com/
Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm 2 minutes from Drum Hill. I looked at the car you're considering. It has a really attractive spec but the car is beat. I didn't want to get into a project and I doubt they would've taken what it was really worth. If you can get them to take $32k, maybe, but I bet you'd be into it for over $40k-45k to get it in nice condition, especially if you address all the interior issues. And, FYI, a few months back they had it listed for $39k.

This was my recap on another forum after I drove it, about a month ago:

I drove this car today...what a ****show...

-A/C doesn't work
-Interior is beat (which is too bad, it has an awesome interior package)
-Trunk release doesn't work, they had a wire rigged up through the front grill to pop the hood
-Spoiler doesn't work (new spoiler hydraulics on these cars is ~$2000)
-Missing one of the rear seats
-It had a shimmy during the test drive, probably a major suspension issue since it would be crazy not to align a car you're selling
-THE FECKING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON DURING THE TEST DRIVE

I'm sure that's not even everything. There were so many issues I couldn't keep track. I wouldn't pay $10k less than they were asking for this car. OK, maybe $10k less...maybe. I guarantee you could spend $10k in the shop on this thing in a heartbeat.

ETA: I saw you commented on the 997TT thread that I posted. I would definitely go after that one! Hopefully it's in much better shape than the 996TT that i saw.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Rico_FL
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you.
Yes, I had this 996 removed from my list because I just did not feel comfortable enough about a car like that from an open air lot.
You just confirmed my fears.... I am onto couple of cars... just need to see which one fits me best...
Funny that we are all looking at the same cars... must be a disease
Old 09-12-2019, 03:23 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

If you find a car in this area the two shops mentioned are both good. Also European Performance Engineering in Natick. I've had them do a PPI, they are very knowledgeable. Porsche dedicated shop.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:58 PM
JVinPortland
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Friends,
Anyone in the area willing to offer a Rennfax on a 997.2 man coupe at Norwell Porsche? High miles, but I don't mind as I'm looking for a driver. Has the spec I want. My main concern is if it drives like a beat up car--rattles, creaks, and groans that would annoy me and be hard to sort out. I'm on the West coast, so can't easily eval in person. I've had mixed experience with indy PPI's, though suggestions above are noted.
@jkoravos ?
@The Fat Kid ?

Thanks in advance for insight/wisdom,
JV
Old 01-17-2020, 11:24 AM
murph85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Norwell, is one of the better dealerships around New England, I've bought and sold a few cars with them.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have checked out a few cars for people in the past, but not sure if I have the time to get to Norwell. Jeff Akasten was my salesman when I bought my 911 at Porsche Westwood; he is now at Norwell, and a nice guy, in case you are working with him.

Quick Reply: Independent Shop Lowell, MA