Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015 | 11:37 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Burkey
Did a 6:32 today, Jim I here you pushing way too much most of the time and cannot get clean laps, my TBL is down to 6:28. There is a good set up in the forum, go into the forum under Ruf Track, there is a thread in there on set ups for the Ring, use Jon Halls V5 wing. It is very good, I added the splitter back in to help the car turn in on the sweepers. Track is too much fun, lots of guys in the teens
TEENS?! HOLY....

Well, I suppose it's possible. I didn't think cracking into the 30s was going to be doable until I made tire pressure changes. The first complete lap I ran on Saturday with the new tire pressures was a 6:41.x. Last night, after 9-10 attempts, I managed to complete a lap and it was a 6:33.7 (which shocked the hell out of me). Did two more lapps and pulled the 33.2. I can definitely see where a high 20 is possible, there are still areas I can push. There's that section in the middle that has a bunch of turns in a row that are all similar to one another - some you can crank through, some you have to slow up - and I seem to mix them up! Swallow hard and charge in only to find out, "Wait, sh*t... that's NOT the turn I thought it was!"
Old 12-14-2015 | 02:16 PM
JustinL
Drifting

After a few more laps I'm down to 6:27.2. I still feel like I'm reacting a lot too instead of attacking. Especially after the carousel. Exit speed is absolutely critical. Forget about going in hot or even maintaining speed through the corner. Exit speed. Exit speed. Exit speed. There are so many sections of full throttle that if you blow the exit, you pay for it for a long time. The GT3 cars have so much downforce, you can get away with a lift for a lot of corners that look like you need brakes. The right hander after flugplatz is one that I figured it's just a lift and then back to full throttle. And that's a long 'straight' there that I see a lot of people losing time in. Some of the curbs can be run over, some make you crash. I'm still learning which I can run over. The carousel is a mystery. Some times I nail it, and sometimes it chews me up and spits me out sideways... into a wall.

I'm using basically the same setup we were running last season with a bit less rake, more ABS sensitivity, a little less wing, a little softer front spring. I have been running it with traction control off, so I'm going to add that in and see if I can lean on the systems a little more.
Old 12-16-2015 | 06:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

We want to run tonight?

Nurb GP?

I can get something set up when I get home.
Old 12-16-2015 | 08:12 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I'm game but so far I've done two laps. I'll be even further off the pace then usual.
Old 12-16-2015 | 08:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ok all set. I traditionally haven't been the one to set up the League races so I took a guess at the start times and durations.

70 minutes practice starting at 7pm CST, 15 mins qual, 25 mins race. Rolling start. Nurb GP.
Old 12-16-2015 | 09:34 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Sorry not going to make it tonight.
Old 12-16-2015 | 09:37 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well I just stumbled across this too: http://www.iracing.com/live/

The Pro Race of Champions is tonight. Some big names racing... Nick Tandy, Tommy Kendall, Spencer Pumpelly, etc.

Unless we have a big turnout tonight I honestly might drop out to watch this. They're qualifying now.
Old 12-16-2015 | 09:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Crap they did an update??

30min+ to download updated content.
Old 12-16-2015 | 09:46 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Ugh WTF

This happened the last few times I tried to set up a hosted session. WHAT is up with the hosting default being set to TWO racers?!?!?!?

Sorry guys... tonight's session is set to 2 max people. LAME. And I can't edit it, and I'm out of iRacing credits, and my wallet is upstairs.
Old 12-19-2015 | 11:51 AM
masterianvii
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ugh WTF

This happened the last few times I tried to set up a hosted session. WHAT is up with the hosting default being set to TWO racers?!?!?!?

Sorry guys... tonight's session is set to 2 max people. LAME. And I can't edit it, and I'm out of iRacing credits, and my wallet is upstairs.
Yes, it's a bit confusing that they did that. Essentially they default to the number of available pits. If you open the dropdown, you'll see that any number greater than the number of default pits is colored in read, meaning drivers will share pit stalls.

Seems to be one of the gotchas for the tourist config since everyone shares two starting positions. They could have at least picked a reasonable default.
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well I tried the set that everyone's raving about in the forums for the Nord Tourist config (Jon Hall's setup)... to me, it behaves like your stereotypical "alien" setup. No downforce so super fast down the straights but also loose as hell, seems you really have to pitch and slide the crap out of it in the twisty bits.

I've never been able to use alien setups and unfortunately it seems this is no different.

I went faster with my own set than I did with the alien set, despite having much higher straightaway speeds with the alien set. 6:33.x is my best with my own set (and can do it consistently). Alien set, I was able to complete maybe 1 in 4 laps, and the best I could muster was a mid 34.

I followed a few guys running mid-20s, they all kill me down the straights (very noticeable) but I don't seem to lose any ground once the going gets twisty. Hit the straights and the gap widens.
Old 12-29-2015 | 05:16 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Random note -- I decided to check my settings and turned the IPv6 to "on" and ummm... it's better. I don't know what an IPv6 is but it was good for 2 seconds at Lime Rock my first ever lap with it on. No idea if that will be helpful or not.
Old 12-29-2015 | 05:36 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Default Rennlist iRacing thread

OK, just dropped my best at Summit in the mx-5 from 125.6 to 1:24.4. One handed while talking on the phone.

Why is IPv6 making such a change for me?
Old 12-29-2015 | 06:00 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

IPv6 is the network connection, not sure how it could be helping your lap times unless the screen is being updated quicker and you are able to respond faster.
Old 12-29-2015 | 10:52 PM
masterianvii
Instructor

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Well I tried the set that everyone's raving about in the forums for the Nord Tourist config (Jon Hall's setup)... to me, it behaves like your stereotypical "alien" setup. No downforce so super fast down the straights but also loose as hell, seems you really have to pitch and slide the crap out of it in the twisty bits.

I've never been able to use alien setups and unfortunately it seems this is no different.

I went faster with my own set than I did with the alien set, despite having much higher straightaway speeds with the alien set. 6:33.x is my best with my own set (and can do it consistently). Alien set, I was able to complete maybe 1 in 4 laps, and the best I could muster was a mid 34.

I followed a few guys running mid-20s, they all kill me down the straights (very noticeable) but I don't seem to lose any ground once the going gets twisty. Hit the straights and the gap widens.
You probably saw my comments in that thread, but that setup unfortunately is that fast. There really is no need for any aero on this track, but you do have to get used to it, and work up to it. Try starting out with the baseline set, and setting the bounds and rebounds on the HS dampers really high.

One lap of fuel at 2.9 is enough.

Set wing to 2 and keep the gurney, and give it a shot, until you feel like you've got the mechanical grip down. I think that every wing notch is worth about a second. The gurney even more, but then it gets really hairy. Especially around the "courage" curve.

I was able to break into the 18's with gurney at 10 and wing to 1.

It seems to me that this track is far more setup sensitive than any other track. Probably due to its length. Any small change you can make multiplies down the line.... assuming you keep the shiny side up.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread