Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014 | 11:59 AM
loxner

When are we starting the next season?
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:03 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That was quite a race... I agree with Tom, much less carnage than I expected there to be! And I'm going to step out on a limb here as one of the league admins (because I haven't yet discussed this with the other admins) and state this: mean or derogatory comments about or directed at another driver (outside of those clearly said in jest or fun) won't be tolerated. This group is about fun, we're all friends here. I know sometimes the racing can be intense and it can suck to get taken out... but in the end, it's a computer, it's a weeknight, and it beats sitting around and watching TV (unless you're Ted, apparently...) I'm going to work with the other admins to devise a sort of official policy about this - and if it were to go 100% my way, I'd come down hard on the user making the comments. If you're really that pissed, then sign out, sleep on it, and if you're still irritated about it in the morning - take it to PM. -Jim

"TV" was great

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:05 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by loxner
When are we starting the next season?
Next week.... and IIRC it's at Long Beach (?). That oughta be interesting, what with the walls everywhere n stuff
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PorscheZen
Man, finally got my triple screens going. Night & f#*#ing day difference. Took a lot of panic out of wheel to wheel racing.

Sent from NSA HQ using Rennlist Forums
Wait until you try an Oculus Rift
Old 04-03-2014 | 12:39 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Next week.... and IIRC it's at Long Beach (?). That oughta be interesting, what with the walls everywhere n stuff
Long beach is awesome

Raced there in 97 and 98
Old 04-03-2014 | 01:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I own the track (only $5) but haven't run it much. I remember it was really bumpy.
Old 04-03-2014 | 01:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinL
Glenn just needs to watch his mirrors a bit better to make sure there isn't another car coming by, and Stephane needs to give more room. Don't try to brush mirrors with lapped traffic. There was so much room in the entry to that turn that it could have been an easy pass.
Worth quoting as I've said something similar to this at least a few times, about *everybody* in general, not just the individuals referenced in the quote.

We ALL need to give EXTRA room. Some folks here have 0 real-life racing experience, some have a lot - and in either case, you (generic "you") need to give more room than you think when racing in the simulator. Side-by-side in the sim is tough, WAY tougher than real life. I've been sim racing (more seriously than just the occasional game, Gran Turismo, etc) for a long time, and real-life racing for even longer - and I'm saying that it's hard. You don't have all the same senses. Peripheral vision is cut, sounds are cut, it's tough to "sense" exactly where the car alongside you is. Even now, when I get side-by-side with somebody who I trust (say, Justin, or Tom) I'm immediately sweating bullets, hoping I don't take him out.

Side by side is definitely awesome fun. But it ends badly more often in sim than it does in real life - so take extra caution before you do it.

Originally Posted by Sysgen
That's my opinion also, a teaching moment, we should be able to talk about incidents without flaming, and I think that's what I did. Great race anyhow, I'm very surprised by so little incidents, I thought it would be a carnage, we are getting really good at this.
Yeah, I think everybody can learn from it.

And with everyone improving (some more rapidly than others), don't assume that just because you out-qualified them, or whooped their butt the last couple races, that they should lay down or move out of your way if they somehow take advantage of a mistake. It's still racing. No affirmative action here, no one is entitled to a particular line or piece of pavement.

Originally Posted by Glenn(Geneva, IL)
Thanks guys for giving me your input. I appreciate the constructive input towards making me better at the sim racing. In so many ways this is harder than actual club racing due to the issues with vision. It isn't like on the track. In that brief moment when someone is right next to you there really isn't anything to see...you have to try to feel your way. And, knowing that and the variations of equipment everyone is using that makes the issue tougher.

As with any incident, they happen fast and usually there isn't much room for error either way. I accept my part and look towards being better. I am sure that we all have the same issues from time to time no matter how much sim racing you have done.

Thanks again.
It just takes practice and seat time. Try getting some practice in with some of the official sessions with the GT3 series, just to get more experience for running in heavy traffic, passing, side by side, etc.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:09 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I've been talking with friends and here's my take on it, I see the group split in two, a bit like the splits in official races in iRacing, the top guys get the top split, the rest get the bottom split. The reality in the guys like me and a bunch of others, is that the top guys take off at the start of the race and we do not see you anymore, the rest of us are at the back and the reality is quite different. There is a large variance of experience, sure the top guys will some time come around and catch up the rear enders, we receive blue flags and let you go. Between us it's still a battle for position.

So we tend to crash more and get in each others way.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:11 PM
JustinL
Drifting

It just takes practice and seat time. Try getting some practice in with some of the official sessions with the GT3 series, just to get more experience for running in heavy traffic, passing, side by side, etc.
The GT3 series is INTENSE. I've only run a couple races and it's bumper to bumper knife fight in a phonebooth kind of racing. Our Wednesday nights are a breeze compared to that level of traffic. I'll try to attend a few more practices this week and we can try running in close packs. Long Beach is going to claim a lot of cars. It's the Monaco of our next season.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:19 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Where do you guys see long beach, don't see it on iRacing??
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:23 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

It under Tech Tracks under tracks.

Is there anyway to do rewards weights rather than splits? I'd really rather avoid splits but it would be good to level competition.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:31 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

There is no splits in our races, I was just using it to explain my take on it.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:34 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

I naturally realize we have no splits now but I misread thinking you wanted to have them as I recall someone asking for this earlier this season.

It did get my mind thinking we should have rewards weights.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
It did get my mind thinking we should have rewards weights.
That's kind of an interesting idea.
Old 04-03-2014 | 03:45 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

That's kind of an interesting idea.
+1

Sent from NSA HQ using Rennlist Forums

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread