Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014 | 02:07 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH

Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) is going WAY faster into 8 than I am. I'm worried I'm going to cause an accident here. Seems everybody stays flat through the first apex, THEN brakes?
I just lift for 8 then brake to setup for 9 just past the apex. I sacrifice 9 to get a good run at the exit of 10. For some reason I find Mosport rewards really hot entry into a bunch of the corners (2,3,4,5a,8), but you can get into a lot of trouble pushing it a bit too far. I think it's because they open up on exit so much or have another corner that's even slower right afterwards.

I guess they fixed the transmission, so that should help with some of those problems.
Old 02-10-2014 | 02:57 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

How about I set something up to start at like 7pm EST, with maybe 1 hour of practice followed by a short qualifying session and a 10 lap - 30 minute race?
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:17 PM
RHiNoFerOs
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
FYI: They are pushing an update at 10pm tonight, included in this update is the fix for the Ruf Track gearbox!

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...t/3237544.page

EDIT: I read it wrong, it should have been updated at 10AM, so tonight we should have the new gearbox.
This is excellent news! I get jammed in neutral all the time.

Interesstingly 2 other cars were having this issue, the Dallara Indycar and the McLaren MP4-12C GT3.
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:33 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I most likely do the same thing. I noticed that I'm slower into most corners, but faster out of them.

Everybody (and I mean EVERYBODY) is going WAY faster into 8 than I am. I'm worried I'm going to cause an accident here. Seems everybody stays flat through the first apex, THEN brakes?

I can't figure it out but it's very noticeable how quickly everybody WALKS from me on the entry into 8. I tried a couple different things going through it and couldn't figure it out.

How I do it (and it seems wrong?)... I'm in 6th down the back straight. Hit the brakes right where the track gets dark (extra rubber?), down 2 gears to 4th and turn in. I don't touch the curbing on the first apex (stay out wide) but am back to WOT through the 2nd apex and exit it late... just enough time to tap the brakes, roll through 9, also exiting late, then down a gear and through 10.

Everybody will put 5-6 car lengths or more on me entering 8 though. Though I'm usually back on their butt by the exit of 10.

I did get down to a 17.4 using my method, and can run consistent high 17s, low 18s this way... but I'm worried I'm going to get rear-ended here.
My perception is that you're doing it the correct way. This is how I race in a slow car (944 SP2) and I do poles and win races. I dont' know about a faster car, but I guess that the same principles apply. It's the same in real life. People enter faster but get out of the turns slower than I do.

Real life racing:

Mosport does not reward overcooking on entry speed. It's a fast track, so you're on full power mode for long periods. Sacrifice entry speed to get back on the throttle sooner.

For turn 8, there is no such 1st and 2nd apex. It's a late apex. Jim (Omni glh) is describing it properly. And doing it properly.

5B, all you guys are slow coming out of it. Enter 5a in 3rd gear, clip the apex and go straight towards near the outer edge of the track, in a diagonal way, but the car pointed straight, brake, downshift in second gear, turn you head and before you come to the apex of 5B, you should be able to put the throttle to the floor.

Just my 0,02$

c.
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:36 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Anybody interested in a practice with a short race tonight?
If later than 7pm eastern, I'll be there...

c.
Old 02-10-2014 | 03:39 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was this guy with a blue car that was very fast through 8 doing a 1st and 2nd apex. I tried to copy that, but my set-up wouldn't allow me that, as I setted the car to be loose at high speed and rotate with throttle lift, just as I do with a non aero car.

c.
Old 02-10-2014 | 04:28 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

I need to play a ton of catchup. Between helping people prep for and participating in an autox Saturday and then inlaws over Sunday, I haven't run Mosport in a year+. I'm glad to host a 4 hour session tonight from about 7pm-11pm EST. Password will be rennlist

Also can someone link me to where I can download the "I'm a danger to others" paint scheme I need to run this week?
Old 02-10-2014 | 04:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
Also can someone link me to where I can download the "I'm a danger to others" paint scheme I need to run this week?
I'm just going with a stylish hot pink and purple. I'll be pretty hard to miss. It won't take you long to get up to speed. The same setup from last week seems to work pretty well with a bit more wing added... for me anyways. Just remember that it's a high downforce FIA GT3 car so speed = grip.
Old 02-10-2014 | 04:43 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Sounds good, thanks for the tip on the wing setting. I'm colorblind so I'll just try to find obnoxious colors that probably are the same to others.
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:24 PM
Burkey
Racer

Originally Posted by pmason
To get ready for Wed. small update to the car.
Too funny
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:36 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I need to play a ton of catchup. Between helping people prep for and participating in an autox Saturday and then inlaws over Sunday, I haven't run Mosport in a year+. I'm glad to host a 4 hour session tonight from about 7pm-11pm EST. Password will be rennlist

I was thinking we could have an actual race -- that doesn't start too late -- since people really liked the short race I setup last night.
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:39 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

I can set that up if its popular enough but I'd like at least an hour of practice before hand. What time were you thinking to setup the race to kick off? Would there be qualifying?
Old 02-10-2014 | 05:42 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

If we could just plan the start and make sure the "pace" car keeps a steady pace, something like 35-40 mph, that would make everything safer... Give the green at the start/finish line. We should be all good to go.

Just remind everybody that their tires are not at fully operating temps, races are not won in the first corner...

That will be fun. I will be there at around 8:00 pm.

See ya guys

c.
Old 02-10-2014 | 06:01 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

I can set that up if its popular enough but I'd like at least an hour of practice before hand. What time were you thinking to setup the race to kick off? Would there be qualifying?
How about a slighy later version of what I proposed above. 730, one hour (or one hour twenty) practice, 15 minutes of qualifying, 10 lap race.
Old 02-10-2014 | 06:02 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Also, standing start worked great last night

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread