Notices

Engine Oil Temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 07:14 PM
Ms. P!ggy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Temp

I need some help please with my 2010 Cayenne GTS. I have had an annoying "engine too hot" message that pops up based on my oil temp gauge. The engine temp gauge does not go above the normal range (though I just read the threat about the water temp gauge lying) and I have not had any other indicators that the engine is overheating. The oil gauge temp can go straight to pegged on the high side in just a matter of minutes or it may never go off while I sit in Austin rush hour traffic. I had the sensor replaced and didn't get the message for about 2 weeks when it started up again. I have checked antifreeze levels and they were at normal capacity. Now, yesterday after I returned home and was unloading my Cayenne from a work trip, the passenger side floorboard was all wet. It did not smell like antifreeze so I don't think the heater core quit on me. I am getting a check engine light with the code for engine coolant system but I don't know where to start looking. Trying to keep from taking it back to the shop since I just spent $4k having a bunch of other stuff fixed along with the replacement of the sensor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Sounds like your drains are clogged and now the wire bundle splices are corroded and throwing odd messages Lots of threads on this.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:11 AM
Klaird928
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Knowing the Texas heat and humidity myself, you probably do have a clogged AC drain. You probably heard water sloshing around near the passenger floorboard. You can also check your sunroof drains by opening the top and pouring some water into the corners.
Now to the issues you are seeing. It is highly likely you have the issue of water damage to the soldered connections. If you have water in the floor boards you need ti pull the carpet back anyway. Porsche uses some kind of magical sponge that retains water for eternity under their carpet. Check out your soldered connections and report back to us.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:36 PM
Ms. P!ggy
AutoX

Originally Posted by Klaird928
Knowing the Texas heat and humidity myself, you probably do have a clogged AC drain. You probably heard water sloshing around near the passenger floorboard. You can also check your sunroof drains by opening the top and pouring some water into the corners.
Now to the issues you are seeing. It is highly likely you have the issue of water damage to the soldered connections. If you have water in the floor boards you need ti pull the carpet back anyway. Porsche uses some kind of magical sponge that retains water for eternity under their carpet. Check out your soldered connections and report back to us.
After I wrote this I wondered if maybe it was a clogged drain since it didn't smell like antifreeze. I haven't heard any sloshing but I also have my music cranked to keep me from raging on the idiot drivers around here. Luckily, I have weather tech floor mats and it caught all the water. No wet carpets here. I have the Pano roof but the fuse has been pulled for about a year now and I can't use it due to a bad switch. If I put the fuse back in, the roof likes to open itself up at odd times. Cayenne has been kept in the garage and only comes out periodically since I work from home. This was the first time in months it actually was driven in rain (Thursday afternoon). I'll go through the A/C drains this weekend and see what I can find. Yard is still too wet to mow, plus it's too dang hot, so looking for this in an air conditioned garage sounds more appealing. Keep you updated!
Old 01-27-2024, 12:03 PM
MarkEg1505
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious if you ever resolved this? I have the identical issue
Old 01-30-2024, 01:41 PM
Ms. P!ggy
AutoX

Originally Posted by MarkEg1505
Curious if you ever resolved this? I have the identical issue
No, this is an ongoing battle. The codes I get on the check engine light are for system cooling errors. Engine temp never gets above normal, never have issues with it overheating like with the coolant overflow, etc. Just the dang engine oil temp sensor. And it's never steady. I can start it and it immediately go to the red or I can drive it all day and it never go on. Or it will bounce back and forth all day setting off that dang buzzer every time it hits the red.

I backed it up this past weekend to add oil since I got the check oil level message, and no joke, backed it up 5 feet, took off the oil fill cap and smoke came out. Only put in 1.5 quarts of oil (yes, I know, too low but I hardly drive the thing since I work from home) so it's not like I was driving the thing out of oil and burning the engine up.

I'm frustrated because I can tear down my Mustang and figure problems out but I am too afraid to tear this apart and none of my technician friends want to touch it or even come over and help me. I did buy this when I was married knowing that myself and my husband (we had our own shop) would work on it. We are now divorced and he took the majority of tools and knowledge. I know enough to do basic stuff oil changes, tune-ups, etc. and get myself into trouble.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Temp