Notices

'Check Dipped Beam' Issues/Fixes - Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 10:06 AM
jmacgroup
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 'Check Dipped Beam' Issues/Fixes - Cayenne

I have a 2008 Cayenne S. Had condensation in the left headlight assembly after brutal cold spell last winter. Applied Silicone gel to seals, dried out unit gently with heat.
My driver's side low-beam headlight does not work (Xenon HID). THe cornering light works sporadically/does not work.
High beam is Fine, as is turn signal and lower fog lights. Issue is that I have to have both headlights working to pass inspection in my state (rapidly coming due), and my regular mechanic can not fix this problem. Took it to the dealer, who quoted me an astronomical price that made it so I am seriously considering trading the car, which would be a shame.
My question: the fix detailed in this post doesn't seem applicable- I have a really good fit plugging the harness into the headlight assembly. Also, can I conclude that the High Beam ALWAYS working correctly would indicate it is something else besides the wiring connection?
What steps should / could I take myself to investigate this that are cost effective, and in what order? I mean, after changing the bulb, checking the connection pins, electrical cleaner, and this trimming of the plastic fix? I do see that some of the wiring inside the headlight assembly has some insulation flaking off and the copper wire is exposed...
Should I get a new harness? Ballast? A whole new (used) headlight assembly? Other??
Any guidance from those with experience with these issues would be appreciated...
Old 03-05-2023, 10:31 PM
Kanrev
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently having this exact issue. What did it end up being?
The following users liked this post:
delauren667 (04-16-2024)
Old 03-06-2023, 04:58 PM
Kanrev
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figured it out! It was the headlight ballast control unit. I swapped them from left to right, and the other side stopped working, whereas the broken one started working.
The following users liked this post:
delauren667 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 08:47 PM
delauren667
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanrev
Figured it out! It was the headlight ballast control unit. I swapped them from left to right, and the other side stopped working, whereas the broken one started working.
I’m having the same problem with my 08 Cayenne S. Where did you purchase a new ballast?

Quick Reply: 'Check Dipped Beam' Issues/Fixes - Cayenne