Notices

VBOX Video HD2 Firmware, Software and apps released!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Default VBOX Video HD2 Firmware, Software and apps released!

New Firmware, Software, Android and iOS apps released for VBOX Video HD2 today! Lots of new features and bug fixes. Email with all links going out to my customers today. Others can find it on their support site.

Exciting times!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Any news on the next VBox Lite release?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Haven't heard anything. The VBOX Lite was introduced in 2010 as a barebones, inexpensive alternative to their high end (OEM and Tier One supplier) VBOX Pro testing suite. As a standard definition setup, it's future is probably limited. They have increased the value of the VBOX Lite by making Circuit Tools 2 backwards compatible and introducing the OS X software suite for it.

The price has dropped for the VBOX Lite significantly, allowing many more people to consider this as a tool for driver improvement, but if the interest expressed to me (in inquiries and sales) is any indication, the HD2 is what people want.

It makes sense for VBOX to improve ease of use and increase the CAN capability of their consumer grade products, not to continue development of their basic, first gen product, IMO.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Ya but at that price, the lite makes a nice alternative to the smartycam. I can't see using it in place of an AIM dash until they get something better than the OLED so let it handle the video and the AIM handle the heavy lifting and squiggly lines. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

The VBOX lite is pretty rock solid and feature complete, what would a firmware release do for it? the HD2 is still pretty buggy, and there is a ton of potential left in the hardware to add new features - so I'm expecting a lot more to come from Racelogic...I'm actually a little disappointed it took them this long to fix the audio issue for people using a CAN connection.

I still think the VBOX Lite is the best system for the money, AIM is not even in the running. HD2 is a luxury item relative to the Lite.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
Ya but at that price, the lite makes a nice alternative to the smartycam.

I can't see using it in place of an AIM dash until they get something better than the OLED

so let it handle the video and the AIM handle the heavy lifting and squiggly lines.

Best of both worlds.
The price on the two-camera, picture in picture, standard definition (640 x 480) VBOX Lite has gone down from $1750/$2100 (with and without OLED) to $1500/$1800.

The single camera, true high definition (1920 x 1080) HD2 (without OLED) is $2400. Two camera, picture in picture (2 x 1920 x 1080!) HD2 is $2780 and the two camera HD2 with OLED is $3080.

In terms of price comparison, the enhanced definition 720P (1280 x 720) single view AiM SmartyCam HD MUST have a connected logger to a) get power, b) get speed, c) get coordinates for lap timing, and d) get info from the car, if available over CAN or OBDII.

This means at a minimum, you need a Solo DL ($699) on top of your SmartyCam HD ($999) for a base entry level price without mounts (which the VBOX Lite does include, for the cameras) of around $1700 for the AiM solution. Machts nichts... In terms of money spent.

The only operational similarity between the VBOX products and the AiM SoloDL/SmartyCam HD combo is that they BOTH render data information onto the video, real time, suitable for playing a completely rendered video file when you return to the paddock, right away.

This is why I sell more Solo DL/EVO4/SmartyCam HD combos and VVB Lites and HD2's than anything else.

Ease of use. Done, rendered video... With information that drivers can use right away.

The AiM displays serve a completely different purpose than the VBOX OLED.

1) The AiM logger provides potential for logging, observing and displaying MASSIVELY more channels, with a more flexible (albeit with a way steeper learning curve) way to display that information than the VBOX.

2) The VBOX OLED is to serve as real-time driver feedback only. No other purpose. No shift lights (nor are there on a Solo DL), no engine health stuff, just ARE YOU FASTER, or not so much?

So no comparison there. The displays and loggers from each company are for different jobs. Decent driver analysis can be done on both loggers.

The VBOX video analysis capacity and software is, however, is light years ahead of AiM's non-solution, and it's so likely enough to stay that way that about 20-25% of my private coaching clients use BOTH systems in their cars.

So as you say, best of both worlds. But that means you need to buy both...
Old 10-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Slakker
Race Car

I think we are actually saying the same thing, pretty much. You just happen to have done it in a much clearer and more eloquent manner.

But, while I think the HD2 (2 cams) would be nice to have, I don't see how you would get an extra $1200 worth of usable "functionality." The Lite seems like it would be the go to system for VBox video. The $1200 could then be used towards a good AIM display/logger where you actually gain meaningful functionality as you spend more dollars.

I will say for DE, I think one could get by with a VBox lite and OLED. Between predictive mode and the ability to recall lap times from the display, it does a decent job.

But for serious DE or racing, I think Vbox Lite/AIM combo is ideal. Personally I've gone with a used VBox Lite and an MXS and so far couldn't be happier with the capabilities. Although it's annoying that neither of them can touch the OBDII integration that HLT has nor do they have any desire to try.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
While I think the HD2 (2 cams) would be nice to have, I don't see how you would get an extra $1200 worth of usable "functionality."

I will say for DE, I think one could get by with a VBox lite and OLED. Between predictive mode and the ability to recall lap times from the display, it does a decent job.

But for serious DE or racing, I think Vbox Lite/AIM combo is ideal. Personally I've gone with a used VBox Lite and an MXS and so far couldn't be happier with the capabilities.

Although it's annoying that neither of them can touch the OBDII integration that HLT has nor do they have any desire to try.
Oh, there's quite a bit more functionality (number of CAN channels, MUCH easier to use, better and more powerful setup software, MUCH better connectors, cabling and cameras, better audio, waterproof for all intents and purposes in a race car) in the HD2 over the Lite. There's no Wifi, camera aiming and exposure controls app in the Lite. The HD2 is MUCH more "pro grade" than the stripper Lite. Plus, folks like the image quality where you can see seams in the asphalt and distant flag stations (for calling yellow flags) perfectly in the HD2. But, I digress. The Lite is a deal, for sure.

Agreed on DE, especially. Folks make bigger progress with the video comparison and software ease of use in the VBOX than with the AiM.

The combo works. I now have MoTeC folks who are using the HD2. The HD2 will shortly be capable of compounded CAN messaging, right now VBOX products only accept simple CAN messaging (like Harry's).

I think the CAN and OBDII integration is FAR better than HLT for the AiM loggers and soon to be at least as good or better for the VBOX. The Lite's originally had only one CAN channel open, then the more recent ones have a max of four.

The HD2 has 32 and I have AiM Solo DL's that with an OBDII plug in get FORTY-SIX channels of information off a Ferrari 458. Doesn't get better than that. Only AiM offers vehicle specific CAN templates, often available through the OBDII socket. HLT is a generic template that works very well, but is limited to the basics.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:41 PM
Slakker
Race Car

My current frustration is that I can pull OBDII data on '99 C2 with HLT at 10hz seemlessly. This includes RPM, Throttle, Water temp, and fuel level among other things. AIM is only capable of pulling the first three, and it is at 1hz so only the water temp is relevant at that speed. The VBox Lite of course has no OBDII capabilities.

I still think the HD2 is "nice to haves" (just one man'a opinion of course.) Especially if you are using an AIM logger for your data collection and your primary use of the VBox is video. As for wifi, popping the SD card out and into my surface seems to be the quickest and easiest way to do things. I even use the USB on the MXS instead of the wifi since its handy. Which is counterintuitive since my primary income comes from large scale WIfi implementations. Lol. FYI, you can use the app for alignment with the lite as well (or the 4" LCD of course).

I do like that you can use saved reference laps with the VBox, even if it is a little clunky and inflexible. This is another feature that HLT is very good at and AIM has yet to implement.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

VBOX does offer OBDII integration on the Lite, IIRC. I stock cables for them.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:11 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
VBOX does offer OBDII integration on the Lite, IIRC. I stock cables for them.
The Vbox OBDII cable simply connects to the CAN HI/Low wires on the OBDII port if you have them. It does not actually communicate an OBDII protocol across the K Line.

My current plan is to feed the VBox Lite using the CAN Output on the MXS. I haven't started working with it yet but my Lite came with the 8 CAN channel upgrade so I'm hopeful it will work pretty well.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

IMO, it's not AIM's fault you have an orphan! 2002 and newer there is no problem with the OBDII sample rate!
Old 10-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
IMO, it's not AIM's fault you have an orphan! 2002 and newer there is no problem with the OBDII sample rate!
Actually, it's their limited implementation of ISO 9142-2 that is the issue. But as they stated to me, all of their efforts are going towards CAN development and therefore they have no intention of addressing it.

I'm obviously a little sore at the moment but the Motec/Bosch thread actually solved my main issue. I can get water temp through OBDII, throttle position through CAN, and then oil press/temp, brake press, and fuel level through analog inputs and not have to purchase the add-on harness yet. So really, I'm good.

And apologies for hijacking your thread.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No sweat.

Help me understand why the sample rate of the same ISO 9141/2 protocol works on the 2002-2005 cars but not the 1998-2001 cars when the hardware is capable of the higher rate but the vehicle does not.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Slakker
Race Car

I can't say for sure. Without AIMs cooperation, it's mostly speculation at this point. You've seen the AIM work fine with a newer version of my ECU and assume it's the Bosch 5.2. I've seen my car work fine with a different OBDII reader and assume it's the AIM. Both are convenient positions IMO.

Quick Reply: VBOX Video HD2 Firmware, Software and apps released!