Notices

Current draw for MXL2 with Smartycam HD

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:54 PM
PaddyMcP
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K. Now lets talk PDM circuit/channel allocations! What are you thinking...
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 AM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I really have no idea what I'm doing at this stage, I started with a list of the components that need power. There are budget restrictions, wow - does money go quickly building a race car. In my mind, I will be able to get started with a smaller pdm to serve as the foundation and replace most of the relays and fuses.

The engine has its own sub-fuse/relay set so perhaps I could keep its harness and power intact initially then replace it later down the road. Same principle for ABS, in my head at least. Not sure how this works but in the early stages of learning.

PDM channels
DME (ECU)
Fuel Pumps (Dual in-tank) 15a
Radiator Fan (temperature & manual overide)
Aim MXL2 dash & Smartycam 3a est
Differential oil pump (temp & manual overide)
Differential cooler fan (temp & manual overide)
Coolshirt Pump 5a
Headlights
Wipers
Accessory 1 [5v USB adapter - dash cam]

Direct power - fused through factory harness/relay/fuses
Starter
Engine
ABS
Brake Lights
Transponder
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

If you are building a harness, include extra runs to each area of the car (engine bay, passenger compartment, truck, etc) so that you have wires there for future projects.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 899 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll only add that when running multiple cameras, particularly the limited capacity battery equipped GP models, I have found it necessary to add a diode equipped supplementary power cable to one of the open ports on the Data Hub to maintain the batteries in multiple cameras.
I am assuming this is a cable you buy from AiM. I can't find it on their web site. What is the part number and retail price?

I doubt I would ever need it with my simple setup. But it is good information to have just in case.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I stock them, but call Olga at AiM Lake Elsinore or your dealer. About $50-55
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Anyone else want to give up the part number?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I don't know the part number. I've never needed one and I have a few systems with a lot of data hubs, channel expansions, and sensors.

Maybe Peter will share it with everyone?
Old 09-29-2016, 01:36 PM
winders
Race Car

Matt,

Thanks. Like I said, I don't think I will ever need one. I figured it would be good information to have floating around for me and everyone else too.

I guess since I bought most of my AiM stuff from a local shop instead of from Peter I will get responses like that from Peter from now on.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you need some help, I can probably get it from Olga or one of the guys in CA.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:09 PM
winders
Race Car

No worries. If I call AiM for something else I will ask them for the part number and I will share it here. As I said, I will probably never need it. I thought it would be good to post the part number here but I could not find it on the AiM web site. The only reason I asked Peter is that he was the one that mentioned the cable in the first place.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jesus, Scott. Another snarky comment... Really motivates me to help you further. Go ahead, help him out, Matt. He's all yours! All Scott has to do is pick up the phone but seems that he can't do that.

Scott, has it ever occurred to you that I might not have that part number handy? The invoices I receive from Roanoke are hand written and only include a description.

Olga's invoices are automated and have the part number, but I don't have one handy and I'm in the middle of the tenth coaching engagement in twelve weeks, after not having been home for some time. I am NOT going to help you right now and I am not at your beck and call.

You won't even call me or email me and buy the SAME GD part for the SAME money from me as anywhere else. Forget it...

Man, you're as infuriating as Kibort sometimes. But, you're smart. I don't get it.

smh...
Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't know the part number. I've never needed one and I have a few systems with a lot of data hubs, channel expansions, and sensors.

Maybe Peter will share it with everyone?
I'd be glad to share it with you, Matt...
Old 09-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jesus, Scott. Another snarky comment... Really motivates me to help you further. Go ahead, help him out, Matt. He's all yours! All Scott has to do is pick up the phone but seems that he can't do that.

Scott, has it ever occurred to you that I might not have that part number handy? The invoices I receive from Roanoke are hand written and only include a description.

Olga's invoices are automated and have the part number, but I don't have one handy and I'm in the middle of the tenth coaching engagement in twelve weeks, after not having been home for some time. I am NOT going to help you right now and I am not at your beck and call.

You won't even call me or email me and buy the SAME GD part for the SAME money from me as anywhere else. Forget it...

Man, you're as infuriating as Kibort sometimes. But, you're smart. I don't get it.

smh...
I'd be glad to share it with you, Matt...
Thanks. Don't think I need it, but I'd take it if you run across it. I'd probably have them do a custom length.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:29 PM
winders
Race Car

smh...
Relax, Peter. I said that the next time I called AiM (I've only called them once and that was about the Bosch oxygen sensor part number (Bosch 0258017025) for the LCU-One) that I would ask for the part number. I also said I would share the information here if I ever got it. Odds are I will never need it. I was trying to help out the community out.....
Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Whoa there, Peter. I bought most of my AiM stuff from a local shop to support the local shop. Living in the high sales tax state of California, I paid at least 9% more for my parts than I would have buying them from you or Matt or Jerry.

A second reason I bought from the local shop is that local shop attends all the races I do so I will have access to some support at the track if I ever need it. This shop also hosted the AiM seminar with Roger Caddell that I attended.

Initially, I was going to have the shop do the install. But I did the entire install myself so I am aware of all the decisions made and would be completely familiar with all the installed components and wiring.

Now, I though your initial response to me was snarky because you told me to call AiM or my dealer. I made the assumption you did that because you wanted me to call the dealer I bought my stuff from instead of bothering you. If that was an incorrect assumption, I am sorry.

Quick Reply: Current draw for MXL2 with Smartycam HD