Notices

Predictive timing working on HD2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Predictive timing working on HD2?

I've got a ticket open with Racelogic but I thought I'd ask here too:

Is predictive lap timing working for HD2 owners? It's not for me. Here's what I see:

1. I created a .cir file and a .spl file and loaded both into my scene file. My HD2 now knows about my test circuit (which takes about 60 seconds to drive around) and the circuit's start/finish line. I've tested this and it's working: I get lap times and the lap count goes up as expected.

2. If I switch to the predictive lap timing screen, I see "Waiting for start line" at the start of a session; when I pass the start line, I see "Creating reference lap" and the timer incrementing. That's all good and, according to the manual, exactly what I'm meant to see.

3. When pass the start/finish again, I see "+00.00" and the bar that shows whether I'm over or under the reference lap time. However, that doesn't change: it stays on 0 and the bar doesn't move.

I've tried this a few times without success. I've also tried resetting the lap timing data to erase previous reference laps.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Could your scene be resetting ref lap every lap, with the last lap?

Thats what it's behaving like.

When do you go to the track next?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-27-2016, 02:31 PM
FergusH
Pro

It's odd: there's no message about resetting the reference lap and it doesn't look like it's creating a new one.

Not back at the track until September. It's over 100 degrees at Thunderhill every day this week! Not much fun...
Old 07-28-2016, 12:21 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I didn't even check - I assumed it was working because I recall seeing it working.....but I had the Lite system running in parallel with the OLED side by side...

Not back until sept with Chin at COTA.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM
FergusH
Pro

I'm doing some more testing - perhaps my test track was too short - and have sent some files to Racelogic. I love having the ability to talk directly to the manufacturer when there's a problem. Racelogic support is great.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:33 PM
FergusH
Pro

I figured it out. Predictive lap timing won't work without an SD card inserted in to the HD2. My HD2 is installed to primarily use an USB memory key. Here's what I wrote to Racelogic:

"The issue is that an SD card has to be in the HD2 when it starts up in order for the predictive lap timing feature to work. It doesn’t have to be in the HD2 any other time - you can boot the HD2, remove the SD card, and predictive lap timing will work - but it has to be there on boot.

I did several tests to confirm this, booting with and without the SD card. I couldn’t make it fail with the SD card in at boot and conversely, I could never get predictive lap timing to work when there wasn’t an SD card inserted at boot time. "

Problem solved! If this is a bug (and it doesn't seem like good behavior) hopefully it'll get fixed. If not, someone else with the same issue might come across this post.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

It's not a bug, IMO... why would you ever operate the system without recording media in place?

You should also not do a firmware update without at least one camera connected.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
My HD2 is installed to primarily use an USB memory key. Here's what I wrote to Racelogic:
Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's not a bug, IMO... why would you ever operate the system without recording media in place?
From the other thread, I thought it would record on an SD card or a USB, with the user deciding which was the main. Does it choose the SD as the main all the time?

I saw some really cool rugged USB drives today. Wonder if they would work with this?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, of course I have recording media in the HD2 otherwise I'd be getting all sorts of errors! I said:

"My HD2 is installed to primarily use an USB memory key."

To be clear: I'm not using SD cards to record data. Because of the way my HD2 is installed, it's much easier to use a USB key than an SD card.

The issue is that if you want to use a USB memory key for recording data you also have to have an SD card in the HD2 to use predictive lap timing. There's no warning about this and no mention in the documentation so either it's a bug in the software that should be fixed or it's a "bug" in the documentation. Honestly, I don't care either way; I'm mostly glad I figured it out before I went to the track!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:08 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
From the other thread, I thought it would record on an SD card or a USB, with the user deciding which was the main. Does it choose the SD as the main all the time?

I saw some really cool rugged USB drives today. Wonder if they would work with this?
Yes, if you tell the HD2 to use the USB drive for recording, it will do that and not use the SD card. It's also smart enough to record to an SD card anyway if you've got one plugged in but you've forgotten to plug in your USB drive.

You need an SD card for installing firmware, scene files and, as I discovered today, using predictive lap timing.

What are the USB drives you like? I'd assume they'd work, as long as they don't require much power. I'm liking the 32 GB Sandisk USB keys. I use this one:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb

They are small enough to not get snagged on anything but have big enough in capacity to hold a whole day's recordings. With memory cards, I prefer using multiple small cards versus one big one so if there's any problem with a card, I'd only lose data from one session.

Quick Reply: Predictive timing working on HD2?