Notices

Display steering angle using Vbox video overlay

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 03:35 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Display steering angle using Vbox video overlay

I got my Vbox HD2 installation completed yesterday on my GT4. It looks great: mounted on the firewall behind the driver’s seat and all the cables tucked neatly away. More info and pictures to come on that. GT Auto Concepts in the Bay Area did a fantastic job and I couldn’t recommend them more highly.

I’ve got a basic scene file working, using the .ref file from Racelogic, that includes brake, RPM and throttle position, all from CAN. However, showing steering is proving to be tricky.

On the GT4, the steering angle CAN channel doesn’t include information about whether the wheel is being turned left or right - it’s just the angle off the centerline. 0 is center and 470 is full-lock left or full-lock right. There’s another channel - steering direction - that shows whether the wheel is being turned left or right. 1 is left and 0 is right.

I’ve used the Maths Channel feature to combine the two channels into two new channels: one for left and one for right. Here’s the formula:

Right turn
-StrWhlAngle*(StrWhlDirection-1)

Left turn
StrWhlAngle*StrWhlDirection

I’ve got the new channels assigned to a left turn and a right turn horizontal bar. Each gauge uses the same scale: 0 to 470. The left turn bar extends from the right to the left; the right turn bar does the opposite. Here’s what it looks like in the Vbox Video app:

Unfortunately, it’s not working correctly. The right turn bar works but the left doesn’t. It’s filled (as if I’m doing a hard left turn) when the wheel is in the center or when the wheel is turned to the right. The bar then starts going down as the left turn angle increases. It’s weird: I’ve tried all the other combinations of the left bar (e.g., filling left to right, starting at the left) and they work but given the design, the only bar setup that makes sense for showing a left turn is one that goes from right to left, with the minimum value (i.e,. wheel centered) on the right. Here’s a video of Circuit Tools that shows the problem. The graphs on the bottom show the output of the maths channels I created. You can see that the left turn bar isn't working correctly

I do have a support ticket open with Racelogic but while I wait to get it figured out, I’m wondering what other Vbox users do for steering angle. I was thinking of not bothering trying to show steering direction and just showing a vertical bar mapped to steering angle. The second camera shows my hands, so I don't really need the bar to show the angle. However, now I've got my mind set on figuring it out! I know the GT4 uses two channels for steering; perhaps other cars do too and people have got a solution.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I got my Vbox HD2 installation completed yesterday on my GT4. It looks great: mounted on the firewall behind the driver’s seat and all the cables tucked neatly away. More info and pictures to come on that. GT Auto Concepts in the Bay Area did a fantastic job and I couldn’t recommend them more highly.

I’ve got a basic scene file working, using the .ref file from Racelogic, that includes brake, RPM and throttle position, all from CAN. However, showing steering is proving to be tricky.

On the GT4, the steering angle CAN channel doesn’t include information about whether the wheel is being turned left or right - it’s just the angle off the centerline. 0 is center and 470 is full-lock left or full-lock right. There’s another channel - steering direction - that shows whether the wheel is being turned left or right. 1 is left and 0 is right.

I’ve used the Maths Channel feature to combine the two channels into two new channels: one for left and one for right. Here’s the formula:

Right turn
-StrWhlAngle*(StrWhlDirection-1)

Left turn
StrWhlAngle*StrWhlDirection

I’ve got the new channels assigned to a left turn and a right turn horizontal bar. Each gauge uses the same scale: 0 to 470. The left turn bar extends from the right to the left; the right turn bar does the opposite. Here’s what it looks like in the Vbox Video app:

Unfortunately, it’s not working correctly. The right turn bar works but the left doesn’t. It’s filled (as if I’m doing a hard left turn) when the wheel is in the center or when the wheel is turned to the right. The bar then starts going down as the left turn angle increases. It’s weird: I’ve tried all the other combinations of the left bar (e.g., filling left to right, starting at the left) and they work but given the design, the only bar setup that makes sense for showing a left turn is one that goes from right to left, with the minimum value (i.e,. wheel centered) on the right. Here’s a video of Circuit Tools that shows the problem. The graphs on the bottom show the output of the maths channels I created. You can see that the left turn bar isn't working correctly

VBOX Video HD2 testing - YouTube

I do have a support ticket open with Racelogic but while I wait to get it figured out, I’m wondering what other Vbox users do for steering angle. I was thinking of not bothering trying to show steering direction and just showing a vertical bar mapped to steering angle. The second camera shows my hands, so I don't really need the bar to show the angle. However, now I've got my mind set on figuring it out! I know the GT4 uses two channels for steering; perhaps other cars do too and people have got a solution.

Thanks!

You can see my steer input bar on the bottom left, the number in white is the steering angle.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
You can see my steer input bar on the bottom left, the number in white is the steering angle.

GT3RS Sept 2015 - First trip to VIR, +15 HC tires - YouTube
Texas RS is on the money!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't figure out why my exact setup wasn't working but I did figure out a workaround that's just as good:

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...l#post13468892

Quick Reply: Display steering angle using Vbox video overlay