Sample vbo files for building scene?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I'm hoping for operator error, that's for sure. For now, I am just using a vertical bar that shows steering angle but doesn't show direction. Since the second camera shows direction, that's fine but it would be nice to have lateral bars working. Any chance you can connect me with someone who's got it working? I don't think ShakeNBake's scene file has steering angle; or does it?
Yes, SNB's latest released scene has working steering angle visualized in the cluster. If you have a ticket in to Mark or Bryan here (or Lucie in the UK) let them help.

I haven't done the bars yet myself because in the rare occasions that I use a scene with steering angle, I prefer a steering wheel icon, sometimes with a numerical value in addition.

IMO, the steering angle element value is limited because it's so easy to diagnose steering speed and amplitude driver control deficits with the second camera. To me, that is the value of the second camera. The ability to compare steering angle at the same GPS coordinates, along with track position in the side by side video is KEY!

All of the standard caveats apply. More than one input per given radius is not good, particularly adding. Steering wheel input rate of change should not be the same according to vehicle speed and corner radius (the old slow corners/slow hands and vice versa tip).

They'll get back to you soon and hopefully you'll be able to share with the hive mind!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-21-2016, 03:59 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, SNB's latest released scene has working steering angle visualized in the cluster.
Ok, to heck with it: give me the link to SNB's file and I'll buy it. Curiosity has got the better of me and I want to see how he's done it. I've got mine working to the point that I'll post it too later today. I do have a ticket open with Racelogic about the bars.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm not asking you to buy anything I haven't! Hardware, or software!
Old 07-21-2016, 04:55 PM
FergusH
Pro

I'm not asking you to buy anything I haven't! Hardware, or software!
No, I wasn't implying that. Can I have the link to buy it; pretty please?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, I wasn't implying that. Can I have the link to buy it; pretty please?
I did include a smiley face! Link sent momentarily!
Old 07-21-2016, 05:19 PM
FergusH
Pro

I did include a smiley face! Link sent momentarily!
Ah ha! Got your link via email. I thought you might not have believed me that I actually wanted to buy it, since I've been such a stick-in-the mud!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Fergus, let me know if you have any trouble with it. I've used bars in the past and it was tricky to make work, such that I think you probably just missed something. The new approach I use (because I think it's cooler) was to make it a gauge. So it looks like a yellow line moving around the tach. My car is still at ATX getting repaired, so don't have something to experiment on right now to help you get the bar approach working, but I will help you the best I can without a car.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM
FergusH
Pro

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Fergus, let me know if you have any trouble with it. I've used bars in the past and it was tricky to make work, such that I think you probably just missed something. The new approach I use (because I think it's cooler) was to make it a gauge. So it looks like a yellow line moving around the tach. My car is still at ATX getting repaired, so don't have something to experiment on right now to help you get the bar approach working, but I will help you the best I can without a car.
Thanks for the offer! I sent you money via the PayPal link Peter sent me, so I'm looking forward to getting a download link (or I guess the file itself via email) from you or Peter.

If you're curious, here's the info I sent to Racelogic:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xf6qxt15l...0wbvZq1Ra?dl=0

There's info there in a text file about the scene file I built (plus some videos and the scene files themselves) but the short story is that the right bar was working fine but the left never did. It was setup to fill right to left, with the minimum position at the right but it didn't work that way: when the left hand turn maths channel generated a value of 0, the bar was empty but as soon as it was higher than that, the bar would fill complete - indicating full left lock - then go *down* as the turn increased! Really weird.

I'm definitely interested to see how you did it, including the maths channel. I wish the GT4 just used a single value for angle and direction instead of separate channels.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, to heck with it: give me the link to SNB's file and I'll buy it. Curiosity has got the better of me and I want to see how he's done it. I've got mine working to the point that I'll post it too later today. I do have a ticket open with Racelogic about the bars.
I think SNB has the HP calc built into his GT4 scene. If not let me know and I'll help you.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:39 PM
FergusH
Pro

Ok, I think I figured out my steering bar problem. I realize I’m kind of obsessing about this - I’d usually rather use Circuit Tools; the overlaid video is mostly eye candy - but it’s fun and perhaps someone will bump into the same problem and find this post.

Above I said:

“…the short story is that the right bar was working fine but the left never did. It was setup to fill right to left, with the minimum position at the right but it didn't work that way: when the left hand turn maths channel generated a value of 0, the bar was empty but as soon as it was higher than that, the bar would fill completely - indicating full left lock - then go *down* as the turn increased! Really weird. “

In this setup, the left hand turn maths channel was generating a number 1 through 470. I changed this around so that it now generates a number from 0 to -470. I then modified the bar so that it still fills right to left but the minimum position (-470) is now on the left side, instead of the right. Now it’s working perfectly. The maths channels look like this:

Right
-StrWhlAngle*(StrWhlDirection-1)

Left
(StrWhlAngle*StrWhlDirection)*-1

I’ll probably tweak my scene file to use the working steering bar then upload it here for anyone who wants to play with it.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Old 07-22-2016, 04:40 PM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ll probably tweak my scene file to use the working steering bar then upload it here for anyone who wants to play with it.
Are the scene files for the VBox Lite and HD2 interchangeable? If not, can they be converted from one format to another? I have a VBOX Lite... wondering if I can move up to one of these fancy HD2 scenes.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
Are the scene files for the VBox Lite and HD2 interchangeable? If not, can they be converted from one format to another? I have a VBOX Lite... wondering if I can move up to one of these fancy HD2 scenes.
No. Different file suffix. The Lite has a file size limitation on scenes that precludes the graphic levels capable for the HD2 scenes. I think if you've built Lite scenes, you can build HD2 scenes, but it's a different piece of setup software, too. Much easier to use than the older VBOX Setup, IMO.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:26 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

There is a Lite Scene file, I'd need to modify it with a 8 Channel VBO file through to get the proper steering.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:00 AM
pvgolfer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There is a Lite Scene file, I'd need to modify it with a 8 Channel VBO file through to get the proper steering.

Hey Jacy,
Your VBox Lite scene looks great! For sale??? PM sent...

Quick Reply: Sample vbo files for building scene?