Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Using the same name as the old one, right?

I was just checking out the link to the Add-A-Circuit link you send. That's the right model for the GT4's fusebox, right? I'm not familiar with the product; would I just cut the end of the cigarette lighter adapter and each wire goes into the Add-A-Circuit? Also, what's the little blue connector for?

Sorry...so many questions!

Edit: Oh, I get it: black goes into the blue connector and ground goes to ground.
Yes, I believe it the ATO, same as all the other fuses. There need to be fuses in BOTH sockets for this to work.

Red wire to the blue butt connector, black wire from the HD2 to the ground stud near the fuse box. Fuse folder in the third from the left on the bottom fuse looking at it directly.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-07-2016, 10:29 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, I believe it the ATO, same as all the other fuses. There need to be fuses in BOTH sockets for this to work.

Red wire to the blue butt connector, black wire from the HD2 to the ground stud near the fuse box. Fuse folder in the third from the left on the bottom fuse looking at it directly.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Mike-B
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

Mike from Racelogic here. Just a quick note of thanks for this astonishing review - it's awesome

We are very excited about the HD2, now that we're finally shipping it. It's been a long time in development - I was promising Peter when I met him in Charlotte NC in February of LAST YEAR that we'd be releasing it in the summer... but as is often the way with these things, we ended up shipping our first units to customers this summer.

The HD2 is the most complicated product that Racelogic has ever made. We are already working on the next version of firmware, and 60fps is a priority. Can't give you timescales on this I'm afraid, suffice to say that the dev team are beavering away at it.

One thing I should clear up from the outset: at present there is no option for recording in anything other than 1080p. One possibility for future release is 720p @ 100fps, which would still be more than adequate for use in Circuit Tools and would also give you the option for super slo-mo... but I should stress that this is on the wish list - if we can do it we probably will.

Some of you will no doubt be interested to learn that we have just released Circuit Tools for iOS - it's available from the App Store now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1105839014

If you've got any questions please fire away - although I think just about everything's been covered

Demand is strong, as we expected. My colleagues in production are extremely busy at the moment!

Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

More notes:

1. I said earlier in this thread that Racelogic has sample scene files but they don't work with the HD2. However. it turns out that I wasn't looking hard enough and they do have some sample HD2 scene files. They are on the main HD2 page here:

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...ers/vbox-video > Manufacturer Scenes

They aren't for the GT4 but I assume it'd be easy enough to modify them to work, as long as you had the CAN database file for the GT4 already installed.

2. I also said earlier that there's not a good bar element for steering angle when designing a scene file. I just heard back from Racelogic and they suggested using two horizontal bar elements, close enough to each other that they look like one. One element would be for left of center wheel movement and the other would be for right of center movement. Sounds like a good idea and I'll try it out this weekend.

3. Racelogic just released Circuit Tools for iOS! I'm just starting to play with it. Some USB keys also have Lightning connectors so I'm thinking that one of those plus the USB key cable for the HD2 would be a great combination for track analysis. Come into the paddock, take out the USB key, then plug it into an iPad using the Lightning connector and check out your session in Circuit Tools.

Edit: seems like my USB/Lightning idea won't work - at least not now. I read a review of several devices and it seems they all need a dedicated iOS app in order for the key to be usable; it's not just something that'll work. An SD card is probably a better choice right now.

Last edited by FergusH; 07-08-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:43 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike-B
Hi guys!

Mike from Racelogic here. Just a quick note of thanks for this astonishing review - it's awesome

We are very excited about the HD2, now that we're finally shipping it. It's been a long time in development - I was promising Peter when I met him in Charlotte NC in February of LAST YEAR that we'd be releasing it in the summer... but as is often the way with these things, we ended up shipping our first units to customers this summer.

The HD2 is the most complicated product that Racelogic has ever made. We are already working on the next version of firmware, and 60fps is a priority. Can't give you timescales on this I'm afraid, suffice to say that the dev team are beavering away at it.

One thing I should clear up from the outset: at present there is no option for recording in anything other than 1080p. One possibility for future release is 720p @ 100fps, which would still be more than adequate for use in Circuit Tools and would also give you the option for super slo-mo... but I should stress that this is on the wish list - if we can do it we probably will.

Some of you will no doubt be interested to learn that we have just released Circuit Tools for iOS - it's available from the App Store now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1105839014

If you've got any questions please fire away - although I think just about everything's been covered

Demand is strong, as we expected. My colleagues in production are extremely busy at the moment!
Hey Mike! Thanks for posting, particularly the news about 60 fps and the production line pictures; very cool.

I'm impressed by Circuit Tools for iOS. It's very smooth and I think the UI is very good. I'm looking forward to using it at the track.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks for piping up, Mike!

Yes, it's been a long wait, but a worthwhile one!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Fabulous job with this review! We are lucky to have someone this dedicated to helping his fellow drivers. Thank you ShakeNBake!!

Can someone explain what the process is like to compare laps from different drivers/cars/sessions? Considering how large the video files are I assume you'd want to pull them down directly from the Racelogic box for each car/driver. I assume the videos are synced by location/distance, correct? Did I read correctly that you can compare up to 8 different videos at once??

Is there no option to connect via OBDII? Either you connect via CAN and go through the hassle of creating scenes or you're left only with GPS and accelerometer data?
Old 07-08-2016, 05:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Beantown Kman
Can someone explain what the process is like to compare laps from different drivers/cars/sessions?

I assume the videos are synced by location/distance, correct? Did I read correctly that you can compare up to 8 different videos at once??

Is there no option to connect via OBDII? Either you connect via CAN and go through the hassle of creating scenes or you're left only with GPS and accelerometer data?
BTKman, the unit generates a data file and a "done" (with all the info on it, like the SCHD) video file with the same name. You can rename them within circuit tools 2 (the ONLY way to keep the files associated).

You open the data files with CT2 and voila! A synced video with the strip charts, track maps, times and segments opens! You can "add" more sessions to compare. Legacy standard def files and even VBOX Sport files may be compared (the latter without video, of course). You can play, click on or slide anywhere on the lap and it all "snaps"to that point. I compare from five years back and do it all side by side, all synced, all automatically.

You can compare by distance, time or best, position. The latter allows perfect knowledge of the attitude of the car at the SAME GPS position, for better comparisons. I think eight is WAY too many. Typically, I do two, maybe three, but have done four for four drivers to KNOW exactly what they're doing, where.

There will be a BT OBDII dongle with connectivity wirelessly to the Hd2 for basic RPM and TPS, but that is all that is required and standardized for that protocol. About 90%, including me at coaching engagements use it standalone and without CAN or special scenes. With built in gSum available as a comparison channel and written on the video, there's PLENTY there.

See this video on an overview of the software use:
Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

BeantownKman, as good as you are with what you have, I wouldn't change, if I were you.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Fabulous job with this review! We are lucky to have someone this dedicated to helping his fellow drivers. Thank you ShakeNBake!!

Can someone explain what the process is like to compare laps from different drivers/cars/sessions? Considering how large the video files are I assume you'd want to pull them down directly from the Racelogic box for each car/driver. I assume the videos are synced by location/distance, correct? Did I read correctly that you can compare up to 8 different videos at once??

It takes about a minute to pull the data off the SD card. I typically master everything on my Laptop, sync to a google drive to share with people. You can look at lap history in the car.

Videos are synced to track position (not clear how this is encoded into video because the video file is a MP4 right off the SD card, must be magic).

I suspect that there will be iphone app features coming to look at data streamed off the main unit in the car via wifi without having to xfer to laptop. At this point there is a lot of hardware "entry points" to take the feature set in a lot of directions, and Racelogic is very good with software development.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
BeantownKman, as good as you are with what you have, I wouldn't change, if I were you.
Thanks Peter. I appreciate your advice. As I am finally becoming comfortable working with the AiM platform I am unlikely to move to the HD2. However, I recall you using this platform when we worked together at VIR and I was very impressed by the value of looking at video side by side from another driver. It's a quick and easy way to see the differences in driving lines. All the other data can be "seen" using AiM's analysis tools. But it will be seen more clearly on video.

As a teaching tool the HD2 looks outstanding. Now that I understand better what it offers I can more easily see why it's a must when you are working with your students.

Once again, bravo to ShakeNBake for walking us through this terrific option.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:41 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

thx!
Old 07-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've been looking at this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ing-scene.html and I'm not understanding the screen creation for the video. What are the steps to taking CAN data and putting it on a video with a supplied set of gauges? With custom made gauges?
Old 07-10-2016, 09:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've been looking at this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...ing-scene.html and I'm not understanding the screen creation for the video. What are the steps to taking CAN data and putting it on a video with a supplied set of gauges? With custom made gauges?
It's very straightforward, once you know the lingo.

The VBOX Video HD2, Video VBOX Pro, Video VBOX Lite are all capable of writing information real time to the background of the video. Set in stone, ready to plug and play as soon as the recording stops and you pull the SD card from the recorder, JUST like the AiM SmartyCam HD.

VBOX calls the video layout of information a "scene." Icons designed to show information within a scene are called "elements." You can move, customize (with with a vector drawing program, make ANYTHING you want) or animate many simple pre-drawn elements, like gauges, bar graphs and numerical or text readouts, in nearly any color and any font.

Most people use the VVBL, VVB Pro and VB Video HD2 as a standalone device that can log lat and long g, speed and position, automatically inserting anyone of almost 600 start/finish lines worldwide for accurate lap timing.

Although much more limited than AIM in their protocol list, CAN and limited OBDII info is available for many currently available cars. This allows the addition of RPM, TPS and a number of other (depending on the car) sensor information through a simple two wire connection.

Racelogic are willing to build and disseminate freely protocols called ".ref" files for particular cars after sniffing the CAN, identifying channel ID's on a time available basis. Again, not near the number of specific vehicles AIM has in their software database (you have to download each one from the Racelogic support site) but certainly enough for good coverage of most P-cars since 2005 and MUCH, MUCH more than MoTeC or Race-Keeper (limited to generic OBDII measures like RPM and TPS). When I started in 2010, I was the first person to ask and get a 996 GT3 functional protocol for Video VBOX Lite.

Your confusion may stem from the much greater configurability, as well as a huge number of pre-rendered elements (as well as the ability to create ANY custom dash or indicator you want) and their associations to channel ID's. When you "build" a scene, you need to drag and drop icons, associate those icons to a measure or channel ID IF a .ref (or specific vehicle CAN) protocol is loaded in the scene. This also allows those specific channels to be logged, as well.

Then, you save it in the Setup software, basically similar to SM2, and transmit to an SD card which will load it onto the HD2. You must specify all operating parameters (the default scenes are a good start) for operations. Start speed, stop delay, audio and video quality settings, where you want to place the p-i-p within the main screen, where and what timing info you want recorded on the video, etc.

When the HD2 "saves" a scene with the proper .ref file loaded and channels assigned, it looks for external CAN input information in the form it expects and renders it onto the video. If the .ref file is incorrect or the channels are not associated in the scene elements correctly, the CAN info doesn't show (like no RPM or throttle bar, providing there is a tach and bar graph element saved in the loaded scene.

90% of folks use a default scene, which is basically Solo data written into video and available in strip charts automatically synced and ready for comparison using distance, time or GPS position.

About 10% of users download and associate the .ref file channels for their car onto a scene and load it onto their box, then make the CAN connection to the car via twisted pair OR through OBDII.

For instance, because Racelogic equipment is used for a LOT of validation testing by domestic and some overseas car makers, there are some killer dashes that are fantastic, like the Lexus LF-A, Chevy Corvette and Camaro and they even have a 991 GT3 Cup dash that is killer, available free for download.

It's a little like MoTeC in the fact that it is so configurable, you DO need an understanding of the architecture before you start changing a lot of values and adding lots of elements to a scene. Once the scene is in there, all operation is automated. The unit comes with a default scene loaded to allow standalone, plug and play operation in any car, without CAN or OBD-II.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

I put a quick tutorial on the "VBOX Video" config tool. Really, the difficult part is getting a CAN "REF" file. If you are lucky, Racelogic has one for you - if not, you're paying a lot to have one custom made.

One you have a ref file, you're rolling downhill.

https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acq...-vbox-hd2.html

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review