Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Sounds like a plan!

I knew there was a file size cap on the scene file, but I do not use long scene names (plenty of guides using existing templates) so was not aware of that. Good to know.

It's easy using the LED diagnostics and the OLED scene-selection menu validation to determine faults like that, but again, this is the first time (in seven years and 200+ unit sales, plus using this equipment 180+ days a year for the last four) that I've heard of this. You have a knack!

Best part is that none of these issues have gotten in your way of getting good information, except for dropping SD cards and not being able to find them! <very big grin, happens to the best of us>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-15-2017, 01:46 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Best part is that none of these issues have gotten in your way of getting good information, except for dropping SD cards and not being able to find them! <very big grin, happens to the best of us>
Ahh. I was finally over this brain fart. You had to go and drag me back to my dark place. THANKS BUDDY.

In all seriousness ... it bares repeating.

This is a bug. Yes.

Is it the only bug? No.

Does it get in the way of using the product to help you be a better driver? No. Not one bit.

Does it change my opinion of the product. No. Not one bit.

I'm just discussing the product and my experiences with it because these are Discussion Forums.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahahaha! All good.

But don't let your "bears" go "bare."
Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Well yes, they do offer the MICIN01 Micro Input Module to do attach an RPM signal from older cars and up to four analog sensors, but unless you're pretty tech savvy, with regards to constructing a custom sensor calibration, I don't recommend doing that.

All the cars using CAN or OBDII have that done automatically, so no muss, no fuss on the later cars.
And that's why I'm working to get an RL CAN file for the Bosch 5.2.2 ECU. I hope to test iteration #6 in the next few days and announce success.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 AM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Is there a place folks are posting their Track Maps or Google Earth KML files used to make them for the Racelogic?

I'm looking at the next POC event and they are running ButtonWillow #1 CW and the track map looks like ButtonWillow #13 CW to me in Vbox Video. It doesn't look like the Track Database has any other configurations other than #13.

-V
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

David,
The 13 configuration is the same as 1 except we will run the Star Mazda Turn instead of the sweeper. I have the same issue with my AIm, but the system will map it. The same can be said for Spring Mountain with the numerous different configurations. Glad to hear you are going to Buttonwillow, and thanks again for making me cool in my sons eyes.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've made them myself, after an event on a config not in the database, then sent it to Racelogic for addition to the database.

This is where a local users group would be worthwhile.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 AM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

I've made them myself, after an event on a config not in the database, then sent it to Racelogic for addition to the database.
This is where a local users group would be worthwhile.
I still need to understand how to do it after an event. I don't totally understand how that works since Racelogic renders the track map onto the video in real time, wouldn't that mean the track map in your video will always be wrong forever?

Making basic track maps with Google Earth and Racelogic is really easy. Although I haven't done anything too fancy like try to put in splits yet.

I've got plenty of time to build and test "user-created" track maps and work out all the kinks.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 AM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkovac
David,
The 13 configuration is the same as 1 except we will run the Star Mazda Turn instead of the sweeper.
It is me who is , coach.

Their is a reasonable chance you can have breakfast and I won't get you sick since I've been working on #13's driving lines the longest.

Personal bests lap in the GT4 on Race 13

https://youtu.be/Kl0t9YQ_EGglist=PLl...ljHJs9No2QLHun

Looking back at this I blew the line a lot more than I thought! It was the last session of the day and I was pushing as hard as I could. Yeah for video logging and session archival.

The only experience I have with Star Mazda Turn in my 2nd track day ever last September and we were running Race #1 counter clockwise. You would not be happy with my handling of it, but I learned my lesson the hard way. In my defense, it was my first time solo. I may or may not have **** my pants.

Sorry. The above is bit off-topic.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:13 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

I made track maps using Google maps last year for the two local tracks up here in the PacNW that I frequent most and sent those to RL support folks. I asked that they consider putting them in the DB. That would let me use the auto element rather than maintain multiple copies of essentially the same scene for each track/ Come to find out -- they had equivalent files in hand already. Then the next update came out...no changes in the track DB Do they have to have a certain number of requests for a track before they'll consider doing and update or something??
Old 02-16-2017, 05:17 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxer-11
IDo they have to have a certain number of requests for a track before they'll consider doing and update or something??
A great question. "What does it take to get you to add Tracks to the track map?"

I'll open a support ticket and see if I can get any clarity.

-V
Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

They are pretty transparent through US customer support, so feel free to ask them. If you need some help let me know.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
They are pretty transparent through US customer support, so feel free to ask them. If you need some help let me know.
Same here. Not hard to do this. It does take awhile and you'll need a little patience for it to come out in the CT2 update.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:31 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Originally Posted by rennlistdavid
I'll open a support ticket and see if I can get any clarity.
They got back to me. It's supposed to be as easy as sending your track and the Start/Stop and Splits to support@racelogic.com as we all suspect.

@boxer-11 maybe try again? A few suggestions that might help Racelogic decide to include in an update.

Disclaimer- These are just theories based on my own, unrelated to Racelogic, products which have user-generated content that gets added in an update. It's not like I got to talk to the guy[s] that makes the decision if a track gets added or not. You may already be doing all these things.
  1. Be sure your track is as a detailed as possible. Include Start/Stop and Splits.
    (https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot...n_Google_Earth)
  2. Send video as a link of you and anyone else running the "custom" track you made. That would demonstrate the track was "QAd" to some degree and is valid and works as expected.
  3. Include all the files used. The 2 .KMLs and anything else involved in the creation of the track. Build a small, but detailed, package of assets.

From my support thread, I got the sense that the US office will help advocate getting US tracks added to the trackDB, but they have no authority or capability to actually do so.

-V
Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

OK, well I can do it again. I sent file in months before the most recent update was issued and I was told that since RL already had files in hand for the tracks I'm interested in that it would be no problem...and yet no updates. I don't think it's data input for them that's the issue for my case, someone probably just forgot or didn't think about it.

I truly wish that they'd give us a way to add a set of user-track files, even if only as a separate DB that CT2 would parse in addition to theirs (obviously some way to update the "actual" DB would be better). As you say, we can reasonably QA the track files by loading them manually into a scene file so there seems little risk in having this content be user-editable.

Hey ho -- I'll send another care package to support@racelogic.com.

Of course I want to make clear: this is not really a big issue in that there's a simple workaround with a track-specific scene file...it's really just a convenience thing, one less checklist item for a day at the track ("hmm, did I load the right scene yet??").

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review