Notices

Brake Fluid Temp Meter 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Temp Meter 997

Cross post from 997 forum. Do the 997s have any sort of internal brake fluid temp meter? I realize it would not be a homogenous temp across the fluid system (hottest closest to the calipers and coldest near the reservoir). I just think it would be a good thing to tap and monitor on say an AiM via an OBD2. Anyone know of any aftermarket solutions if there is no internal OEM meter?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I've done brake fluid temps on other cars. I have thermocouples that replace the bleeder and then you can feed that to a data logger. This is done with a direct connection, not through OBDII. I can giv eyou more info if you are interested.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Ah so it's a home brew solution. I don't want to waste your time now but I'd be interested down the road once I sort a few other things first. Thought there might be a plug and play solution I wasn't aware of.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's made for this application. It's a firing that replaces the bleeder screw with a fitting that allows a thermocouple to pass through. Then it's just putting the thermocouple into you data system.

Of more interest is usually brake rotor Temps or pad Temps, both of which I can help you with too.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Can you measure pad/rotor temps with a thermocouple? Only solution I've seen there is thermopaint or IR. The former being analog and the latter not the best for maintenance (cleaning an IR lense after every session). If your solution is with a bleeder screw I'm guessing you're using a K type thermocouple probe and a something like a Texense THK 400 for the fluid (maybe a 1250 for the pad/caliper?).

Edit: That's a really clever solution. Bookmarking this to contact you in the future. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2016, 02:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I can do a K type thermocouple in the pad or rubbing (as designed) against the rotor. I also have the Texense IR sensors, which I have used extensively over the last number of years. You do not have to clean them every session if that is something you are worried about.

For the amps, if using AiM dashes, the easiest is the AiM TC Hub. That gives you four inputs. The other option is the THK 200, 400, or 800 depending on what you are monitoring. Depending on the car, the 200 is enough for brake fluid temps and tires. The 800 would be needed for rotor and/or pad temps.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've shared this here before, but so you don't have to search for it, here is some of the type of data you can get. These were from Mt. Tremblant on my car. These are lap statistics in Excel.
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2016, 02:10 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've shared this here before, but so you don't have to search for it, here is some of the type of data you can get. These were from Mt. Tremblant on my car. These are lap statistics in Excel.
I'm guessing the orange and blue are different pad compounds based on the inverse rotor/fluid temps in each graph. Love this stuff. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Temp Meter 997