Notices

MXS dash won't trigger Smartycan HD v1

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:21 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MXS dash won't trigger Smartycan HD v1

As the title says I can't get one to trigger the other to record. Camera was connected to an Evo4 and triggered fine. With the MXS it won't. Searched high and low in RS3 but can't seem to find anything else I need to do.

Can anyone help please?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Does the camera turn on automatically?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Yes it does thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 11:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

On the camera, select Menu>Settings>Rec Start (or something like that) and either do Logger Command or Speed.

Then, in the DASH config in RS3, make sure the Speed channel listed under the tab "SmartyCam Settings" is GPS speed or otherwise valid. Then, transmit any changes to the dash.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-09-2016, 11:58 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Thanks Peter that is how I have it set as you described and on Smartycam I have tried by speed and logger. I did use it standalone for a short time between the evo4 and the MXS but I think I only changed the one "start" setting
Old 06-11-2016, 10:31 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Default Smartycam MXS not tiggering camera recording

Further on this I could not make it work at track but I was even concerned that maybe I had a data card error but both SD cards I have worked with manual recording.

I have checked my firmware versions and the MXS is on 1.18.21 and the camera is on 1.03.46. There is a couple of firmware upgrades since those but the release notes wouldn't suggest those would hold a solution but I will upgrade them regardless. I also just wanted to check that I am correct with having a CAN hub plugged into the MXS and both the camera and GPS05 are connected to the hub. I assume the connecting the GPS direct to the camera is not a better approach.

Can anyone think of a way to test the auto recording function of camera whilst still in the workshop. My speed is GPS based so that won't work as a trigger. Would be good to try and prove it works before next time at the track. Looking at RS3 on the "Parameters" tab I have in the "Start Recording Conditions" the first box selected "Recording starts when rpm is greater than 500 or speed (not GPS) is greater than 10 kmh. The MXS is recording data so therefore I think its fair to assume a signal should be getting sent to the smartycam. Given I only have GPS speed I don't know if that is an issue for the camera but clearly the data is still recording. Also I see the custom conditions on that tab so I could simply for testing use a strange condition like "battery above 10V" and that should be enough to force it to start recoring and try to see a camera trigger.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I believe if you go I to live view on your computer while hooked to the dash, the option to start recording will trigger the camera if you have the camera set to follow logger command. That would allow you to test in the garage very easily. Have g the camera to. Logger command and what you have now in the dash should work to. If you start the car.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:23 AM
grantnz
Track Day

Thanks Matt, yes you are correct that function is there and a stop and start recoring would generate a session to download. However I could not getting the camera to trigger. I also plugged the camera direct to the MXS rather than the datahub. just to rule out the hub. However the hub and the camera was connected to an Evo4 and worked fine so I suspect its more an issue with some attribute of the MXS.

While I was doing this I opened the Smartycam as a connnected device inside RS3 and hit live view but there was no data stream from the dash indicating some issue with data flowing and also the logger trigger from the MXS.

I am assuming in RS3 that I dont need to actually add the Smartycam as an expansion as i can't see how to do this.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are correct that you don't set the SCHD as a CAN device.

What version SCHD do you have? If a Rev 2, make sure you don't have the 7 pin end jammed to the 5 pin connector.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:33 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Thanks, the camera is older than the MXS and is a V1.

So does the MXS see a camera is connected and then sends the "logger on" signal or does it send it regardless on the camera being connected anytime conditions are met to start data logging.

Last edited by grantnz; 06-12-2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The MXS shares all the data channels on the expansion and data hub all the time. The SCHD sees everything and starts recording when the conditions are met.

Have you tried a new cable?
Old 06-12-2016, 11:18 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Certainly can try that if I get one as don't have a spare but assume I could plug camera straight into the plug on the MXS loom to prove if its not a cable issue or not.

I assume if it is talking I should be able to see live Smartycam data from the logger
Old 06-12-2016, 11:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by grantnz
Certainly can try that if I get one as don't have a spare but assume I could plug camera straight into the plug on the MXS loom to prove if its not a cable issue or not.

I assume if it is talking I should be able to see live Smartycam data from the logger
Yes, on the SmartyCam, select the Dash in the Menu under settings. If it's getting info, you'll see it. RPM is the most common check.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 AM
grantnz
Track Day

Have just spent another couple of hours trying to crack the code here.

The CAN cable is male/male so I couldn't plug just the camera direct to the dash with what I had and I have no spare cable. I did check continuity on the cable and that tests good.

I tried putting the camera back in the car with the Evo4 and was hoping there was a start recording function in RS2 so I could see if the logger would trigger (that car has no engine currently so that wasn't an option to trigger)

I then completed firmware upgrades on both the MXS and the Smartycam HD but alas that did not solve the problem.

The only strange thing now is that once I plugged things back together the camera doesn't power up via the MXS when plugged in via the Can hub but if is direct to the MXS it will. That change seemed to occur at one stage when I loaded a "logger conf" to the smartycam but does anyone have knowledge as to how the hub may be an influence.

Its a shame that the configuration of the camera isn't a little bit more like the control you have over setting up a dash.

Maybe I have a faulty camera but seems strange that it was working fine on an Evo4.

Would really appreciate any other ideas
Old 06-13-2016, 02:46 AM
grantnz
Track Day

Peter I just checked the "Menu" "dash" page on the SC and there is nothing coming through and in particular no RPM.

Quick Reply: MXS dash won't trigger Smartycan HD v1