Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

It sounds like you might have a bad data hub, though that is very rare in my experience. Where are you located?

Can you do the expansion from the MXL to the cable to the camera to eliminate the data hub?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Can you do the expansion from the MXL to the cable to the camera to eliminate the data hub?
I think the OP said he tested that in a way to check if the camera turned on with power to the MXL logger, which it did. When he used the hub, it didn't. Correct?

I have not run into a bad hub, despite selling three hundred or four hundred of them.

OP, are you in NZ? Is there an importer local to you that can actually help on site?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-13-2016, 07:21 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys

Up until now the SC was powering up off the datahub and for some reason stopped doing that but will still power up when plugged directly off the MXS but still no data output.

Unfortunately whilst there is someone selling the stuff in New Zealand they are really just box selling I think after 10 years of running this stuff myself from Mychron gold to MXL to EVo4 to now MXS I have more knowledge than they would have. There has been continuity of an agent in a market this size and the one guy who was very clever gave up on it and concentrated on high end systems like Motec etc.

I am sure I will get there. I am still suspicious its an MXS issue as thats the only bit that has changed. I can get my hands on an old Smartycam that is currently on an old MXL that will have 7 pin at the camera and 5 at the other end so assume I could plug this direct to the MXS loom and if that doesn't work and trigger RPM data etc then there is something strange going on with the MXS?

Last edited by grantnz; 06-13-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I agree with trying the old smartycam. It will hook up like you said and should power up and record with the MXS command.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:32 PM
grantnz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Further to this today I took my Smartycam HD V1 and data hub to another car that had an old MXL and original Smartycam. I conducted the following:

- Tested Smartycam using dash function and on startup RPM displayed - Tick
- Inserted the data hub into old MXL and RPM still goes - Hub is good then - tick
- Checked in Race studio - Smartycam appears as a slave
- Plug Smartycam HD and doesn't appear as a slave - bad
- Smartycam doesn't power up via hub but again does direct from MXL

Return to workshop
- Connect old Smartycam to MXS- it appears on Firmware Tab and displays RPM on Smartycam on startup - so MXS is good - tick
- Connect Smartycam HD to MXS - it doesn't appear on firmware tab and as you would expect no RPM

So at least I have narrowed it down to either the Camera or the cable and I don't have a spare 5 pin to 5 pin cable. But the cable does test ok so I will have to get another to rule that out but has anyone come across strange issues with the Camera and communications. Is there a hard reset on the camera available. I once guessed how to do one on an MXL that went funny while holding down a combination of buttons. I have updated the camera to the latest firmware.

Quick Reply: MXS dash won't trigger Smartycan HD v1