SmartyCam and MoTeC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SmartyCam and MoTeC?

Ok, once upon a time, many years ago there was ChaseCam, then there was GoPro and now there's a lot. I've tried a number of options over the years and I'm still looking ...

I loved when ChaseCam DIVA could easily be triggered by the Motec so the video and data were always in sync. It was easy to send everything to TrackVision to make the video to combine the data and the video. But, ChaseCam never really did HD well and it was time to look at other options. So I tried a ReplayXD, nice video but the camera was a bit of a pain in the butt. Then I switched to GoPro and had to sync by hand in post processing (after I went through the effort of combining the two video streams that Go Pro made for the 30 minute race). I'm tired of spending too much time in post processing. And let's not even talk about trying to combine and sync the video from both a front and rear facing GoPro into a video and adding data.

Is there a simple way to link Motec (ADL3 and an M84) to a camera like a SmartyCam that does the data overlay on the fly? I could always add a rear-view video onto the front video+data with Race Render easily enough, if I wanted to. I'm assuming that no-one makes a system that will sync two cameras to the data (easily).

I see from the Motec site and a manual I found online that this should be possible but do I need an Aim ECU bridge? Rough cost of an ECU bridge and SmartyCam looks to be $1200, is the wiring into an existing Motec a pain?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I believe you can use a Race-Keeper with a VSM to do a picture-in-picture, synced video in i2 Pro, but I have not done that. I have seen a few CDL3/Race-Keeper combos that work well, but I have not done one. I am now focused on the new Race-Keeper HDX, so if there is integration possibility, I'll find out about it!

There may be a possibility you can use the new VBOX Video HD2 with MoTeC also, but the CAN inputs on that unit are not yet enabled and the system has yet to be released for retail sale (although with two 1080 cameras, it is REALLY pretty). Downside is that the higher the video resolution, the more it grinds i2 Pro to a halt...

I have sold several of the SmartyCam Rev2.1 (need the external mic input), an AiM ECU Bridge configured to accept MoTeC VCS_Compound_Full protocol and a VSM from MoTeC (video sync module) to embed the audio signal that allows i2 Pro to auto sync the video, like with the ChaseCam.

The wiring is a little bit of a PITA, you need a CAN out from the ADL3 and an AUX out for the VSM added. Everything else is external.

I sync the video manually on a few cars I work with, but the AiM SmartyCam overlay makes manual sync VERY simple and not time consuming at all. You WILL need an AiM antenna connected to the camera to embed lap counts and lap times.

So, the short answer to your question is that you need:

1) SmartyCam HD Rev2.1
2) 3.5mm external mic jack CAN (AiM CAN) cable
3) AiM ECU Bridge (that is wired to an CAN out from the ADL3 and switched 12V/Ground)
4) GPS-05B antenna for lap times
5) MoTeC VSM for optional sync tone generation to auto-sync video within i2 Pro

Dave or Ellen could make you up a harness and supply, as well.

It's a wonderful system, beautiful quality video and it can be well integrated within the MoTeC ecosystem.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Joe Hullett is one of the best with MoTeC and adding video. I would check with him http://www.digitalcompetitionsystems.com/ I know he's done it in a lot of cars including some that are on Rennlist and some in TA.

He's also an AiM and MoTeC dealer, so he will be able to set you up.

Edit: I believe Joe does it without an ECU bridge, but I could be wrong. I would check with him to see how he does it.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, Matt. That is incorrect information.

You must have the AiM ECU Bridge to "translate" the MoTeC output feed to a format the camera understands and can write on the video.

AiM's directions are right here: http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...SC_100_eng.pdf and this has been in place for several years.

It does work and I've supplied and worked with this setup (I happen to be a MoTeC and an AiM dealer, also) in three cars in the last three weeks...

For local support, go to Dave and Ellen. They are MoTeC and AiM dealers, too. Veracity Data, in Paso Robles, IIRC.

While Joe has been around the longest, there are several folks who can help. Joe's company is Digital Competition Systems in Huntersville, NC.

Last edited by ProCoach; 04-20-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, Matt. That is incorrect information.

You must have the AiM ECU Bridge to "translate" the MoTeC output feed to a format the camera understands and can write on the video.

AiM's directions are right here: http://aim-sportline.com/download/ec...SC_100_eng.pdf and this has been in place for several years.

It does work and I've supplied and worked with this setup (I happen to be a MoTeC and an AiM dealer, also) in three cars in the last three weeks...

For local support, go to Dave and Ellen. They are MoTeC and AiM dealers, too. Veracity Data, in Paso Robles, IIRC.

While Joe has been around the longest, there are several folks who can help. Joe's company is Digital Competition Systems in Huntersville, NC.
I could and am probably wrong. Said that up front. I posted the link to Joe's website and details.

Dave and Ellen are great too.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info. I'm very familiar with Dave and Ellen - they installed my first SDL and then the ADL3 I have now.

It's a bummer that I'd need another GPS for lap timing, etc. Can't the SmartCam get the info from the ADL3 which already had the GPS and lap data?

Peter: Given the 3 systems you describe, which would you choose and why? I'd trade the ease of sync if it was a lot cheaper or did PIP for the same price.

I should note that while price is always something to consider, I'm looking at this as a potential 60th birthday present that my wife could give me. So, I'm not going to choke at the $3k that Race Keeper wants for the system if it provides the ease I'm looking for with great quality.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 115 Posts

I have Motec/AIM Smarty Cam setups in both my cup cars. Works flawlessly. You can even embed the video to I2Pro. Joe Hullet did everything for me and he is great. Highly recommended
Old 04-24-2016, 02:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom W
Thanks for the info.

Peter: Given the 3 systems you describe, which would you choose and why? I'd trade the ease of sync if it was a lot cheaper or did PIP for the same price.

I should note that while price is always something to consider, I'm looking at this as a potential 60th birthday present that my wife could give me. So, I'm not going to choke at the $3k that Race Keeper wants for the system if it provides the ease I'm looking for with great quality.
Tom, give me a few days.

There used to be few integrated options (ChaseCam with SS-100 PIP processor, MoTeC VCS), now there are many (SmartyCam with ECU Bridge, Race-Keeper HDX2 which has the MoTeC protocol built in, VBOX Video HD2, new smaller MoTeC VCS-HD, Diva if you can find one).

Let me make up a spreadsheet with pros and cons of each. The SmartyCam HD with ECU Bridge is the best quality for the least amount of money but does not offer PIP. R-K HDX2 and VBOX Video offer two 1080 HD picture in picture captures that are just stunning.

Stay tuned!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:54 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Motec joe is the one that set my smarty cam and Motec sync up. These is a 700 bridge or something he had to get to make the two talk.

It is not as easy as racekeeper but the video quality is amazing.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter,

I anxiously await your analysis and recommendation. I'd really like a PIP solution so I can the see guys behind that can't get past.

And if anyone wants a used DIVA, I have one for cheap.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tom, doing an unboxing now of the new HDX2 Race-Keeper, which is going to be the simplest, most automated way to integrate with the MoTeC ADL3 you have, I believe. More soon.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any update? I'm looking to provide my wife with birthday gift suggestions in the next week ...
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have MoTec in my car with a SmartyCam HD and needed the SC ECU bridge to extract data for the video.

I also have a standalone GHOST HD cam (they are excellent in every way) that I use for rearview or in-car video. its a superior camera to the SC but will not integrate with MoTec.

I use RaceRender to do PIP. Its a little laborious and the syncing needs to be done manually but it all works. Actually, using a Mac. I upload the SC video using Handbrake, then i put that fie with the GHOST file into RaceRender and edit there. If my tiny brain can master this anyone can.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 05-20-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom W
Any update? I'm looking to provide my wife with birthday gift suggestions in the next week ...
Tom, just got the HDX2 last week and am setting it up now. This is going to be your best bet for an integrated PiP video option for the MoTeC. I have an HD2 VBoX Video, too, but no MoTeC CAN interface yet for it. I have supplied two SmartyCam's with a Bridge and a hub for 997.2 Pirelli GT3 Cup cars (one front, one rear) successfully, too.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:44 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. Who are Dave and Ellen? Their contact details? I would like a harness to get a SmartyCam to trigger to line up in I2pro with the data

Quick Reply: SmartyCam and MoTeC?