Notices

SmartyCam and MoTeC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I’ve only sold one VCS-HD (MoTeC’s previous video solution) over several years, and sold several V2’s in a much shorter period of time.

It’s fantastic, and less than two-thirds the cost of the old system, much smaller, better image quality and more reliable. A long way from the ChaseCam Setup in the old Cups!

If a MoTeC user is considering a new camera setup, the V2 at $1990 compares favorably with the AiM SmartyCam GP, Bridge (required for now), mount and antenna at $1555 or the all in one camera setup for $1400, but is a no brainer if you have to buy an i2 Pro unlock code ($800 for a C125/7, a lot more for an ADL2/3 or C185/7), required to play the AiM video in i2!

Considering you HAVE to buy an unlock code to play video within i2 Standard for ANY other camera than the MoTeC VCS and current V2, the MoTeC is a less expensive option that has more functionality.

But, I have a fair number of people looking for a simpler solution, like the VBOX HD2 two camera system that interacts perfectly with the MoTeC CAN.

You pay your money and you make your choice!
Old 12-19-2018, 10:07 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Not a Motec expert but it's completely perplexing why one would buy a Motec and not upgrade to I2 pro regardless - buy an AIM if not / tons cheaper and infinitely easier to get setup

I plugged in my aim and drove into track basically whereas this Motec stuff I'm paying for help

Will think on the new Motec camera / that's serious bucks though
Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Not a Motec expert but it's completely perplexing why one would buy a Motec and not upgrade to I2 pro regardless - buy an AIM if not / tons cheaper and infinitely easier to get setup

I plugged in my aim and drove into track basically whereas this Motec stuff I'm paying for help

Will think on the new Motec camera / that's serious bucks though
No question that MoTeC is notoriously not PnP. The pricing model is you buy the hardware and you pay for everything else, configuration, unlock codes for increased functionality, CAN templates people take for granted in AiM and VBOX. It’s been the de facto standard for pro-level team installed and serviced systems for a LONG time, and the installed base in pro cars is substantial. And should be...

Because for some, it’s got flexibility and power that the “lesser” systems can’t match. Plus, the build quality, stable hardware and software through infrequent, well tested updates is worth every penny. Many teams, including some large support shops, have excellent experienced DAG’s on staff (or fly them in) for support for multi-car installations with great results.

My primary market is people who are their own driver/engineer/DAG. That may have the money, but not the time, inclination or desire to climb the steep curve and spend the requisite time to really leverage the value of these systems. Nor, for most, is it really necessary, in my experience. So few use all the power in their existing systems.

Again, it’s nice to have choices. And even now, it’s much easier to use MoTeC than it ever has been.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 411 Posts

I used a V2 with my ADL2. Great systems that was very easy to use, with the only downside as stated before is it takes some technique to get the card in/out of the camera. I love the reliability and flexibility of Motec. Anything I can think of, I can do. I also find the Motec i2 software much easier to use, but I work in the software industry so admit my learning style may be different than most. I’m in process of installing a C187 in my new Spec Cayman build. I do wish the V2 could support multiple camera, but the simplicity is still worth it to me.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
I used a V2 with my ADL2. Great systems that was very easy to use, with the only downside as stated before is it takes some technique to get the card in/out of the camera. I love the reliability and flexibility of Motec. Anything I can think of, I can do. I also find the Motec i2 software much easier to use, but I work in the software industry so admit my learning style may be different than most. I’m in process of installing a C187 in my new Spec Cayman build. I do wish the V2 could support multiple camera, but the simplicity is still worth it to me.
Well, MoTeC does support multiple V2's!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: SmartyCam and MoTeC?