Notices

Adding Tire temp to AIM system

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding Tire temp to AIM system

I'd like to add the AIM infrared tire temperature sensors to my data set up.

I just had a Smartycam system with the cup ECU bridge and GPS antenna installed. After a little research on the AIM site, it looks like in addition to the four sensors, some custom fabbed sensor brackets and various lengths of extension cables, I need an EVO4S data logger to "read" the sensor data and transmit it on.
Does the data logger replace the ECU bridge and GPS antenna? Is there an alternative to this combination?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Yes, the logger replaces the ECU Bridge and antenna.

The infrared tire sensors that AiM sells are individual, analog (one per channel) sensors that work well and are $100/ea. You could buy six, a channel expansion and an EVO4S and get three temps across each front tire, pretty reasonably.

Of course, the sky is the limit with 16 channel (per corner), basically four IZZE CAN based units (which would require their own harness) fed to the CAN input on the logger. About $1800 for that setup, plus you'd need an AiM logger with two CAN networks (EVO5 or dash display logger with two AutoSport connectors).

Glad to help. I often test just four corners to tune the balance of the car better. KISS...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

What logger do you have in the car now? Are you using the data from it? If so, no sense adding a logger just for tire temps that is separate from the other data.

I'll have a user configurable, 16 channel, multi field of view sensor available in the next month or so. It's a great more configurable alternative to the Izzy sensors.

If you add a logger for just CAN tire temps, uink about just using an S2DL.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good point, but if you used the S2DL, you would need the CAN based (not the AiM supplied analog) tire temp sensors from IZZE, Texense or the ones Matt says are coming.

You wouldn't (I don't think) be able to get BOTH the MS3 Bosch ECU data (which is what you get now on your ECU Bridge that feeds the camera) AND the CAN based tire temp information, onto the Solo 2 DL. You could feed the camera from the Solo 2 DL.

For cost and simplicity, still think it's best to replace the ECU Bridge and antenna with the most inexpensive, expandable logger (EVO4S) that will not only connect to your car's ECU, but also accept the inexpensive AiM analog tire temp sensors and feed the camera.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:36 PM
dogger15
Racer

I’m not sure about the details, but I’m assuming the current “logger” is the MoTeC. In addition to the info provided through the ECU, the car has brake pressure and steering angle sensors and the Smartycam GPS antenna should provide track position. Adding tire temperature info has been mentioned to help with car set up and as a driver improvement tool.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, 997 GT3 Cup should have MoTeC ADL2. You could use the AiM sensors referenced in your original post or better yet, you could collect IR temps through the MoTeC CAN. That's the best way to do it. Don't even bother with swapping out the Bridge connected to the camera.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:03 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

You also need to know if the harness for the current logger was built to be expanded. It’s incredibly time consuming (aka expensive) to rebuild the harness.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
You also need to know if the harness for the current logger was built to be expanded. It’s incredibly time consuming (aka expensive) to rebuild the harness.
You generally don't need to rebuild the harness.

For instance, most systems in Cup cars have BR2 Beacon receivers on both sides of the car. Many of those systems have been upgraded to GPS, rendering the BR2 receiver superfluous.

You can connect a CAN accessory easily to that Autosport connector and, without anything other than config changes to the dash, add another (or two) CAN accessories.

I've always seen extra CAN pigtails on most professionally built harnesses, and when I haven't, I've gone to the back of the ADL2/3 or the L120 to add one.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You generally don't need to rebuild the harness.

For instance, most systems in Cup cars have BR2 Beacon receivers on both sides of the car. Many of those systems have been upgraded to GPS, rendering the BR2 receiver superfluous.

You can connect a CAN accessory easily to that Autosport connector and, without anything other than config changes to the dash, add another (or two) CAN accessories.

I've always seen extra CAN pigtails on most professionally built harnesses, and when I haven't, I've gone to the back of the ADL2/3 or the L120 to add one.
Are the beacon wires twisted pairs?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Are the beacon wires twisted pairs?
Yes, because they're on CAN...
Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by dogger15
After a little research on the AIM site, it looks like in addition to the four sensors, some custom fabbed sensor brackets and various lengths of extension cables,
Four sensors won’t give you much info. I started with 3 across each front tire and now another 3 across each rear tire. It is useful if you can display at least 2 sensors on your dash so you can monitor your tire temp increases during the outlap.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 PM
dogger15
Racer

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Four sensors won’t give you much info. I started with 3 across each front tire and now another 3 across each rear tire. It is useful if you can display at least 2 sensors on your dash so you can monitor your tire temp increases during the outlap.

I believe you are talking about a single point infrared sensors.

After more research and some trusted advice, I think I'll go with the IZZE system. The IZZE sensors are multi channel with a single sensor capable of reading up to 16 individual "zones" across the surface of the tire:

http://www.izzeracing.com/products/i...e-sensors.html

The sensors can be had in a 120 degree spread which is ideal for the wider tires on a cup. With the 120 degree sensor, it can be placed just 70 mm from a 275 front and 80mm from a 315 rear tire. I'm thinking at the bottom center of the front inner well liner and I'll have to figure out the back since the wheel house is too far from the tire. I do have a pair of CF tub liners that can be installed and the sensor can be attached to the leading edge of that. Those detail will have to be worked out.

As far as a real time display, I haven't given that any thought. I guess a numerical value of average temp across the two front tires can be shown as one of the bottom displays on the MoTeC dash when left in warm up or practice mode. That call will have to be made by someone with a much better understanding of what is and isn't possible.

As you can tell, this is totally a work in progress.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That’ll work.

On the LMP-C cars, we had alarms on the dash (and you could do it on an SLM) to indicate both brake temps and tire temps below and above a trigger temp.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by dogger15
I believe you are talking about a single point infrared sensors.

After more research and some trusted advice, I think I'll go with the IZZE system. The IZZE sensors are multi channel with a single sensor capable of reading up to 16 individual "zones" across the surface of the tire:

http://www.izzeracing.com/products/i...e-sensors.html

The sensors can be had in a 120 degree spread which is ideal for the wider tires on a cup. With the 120 degree sensor, it can be placed just 70 mm from a 275 front and 80mm from a 315 rear tire. I'm thinking at the bottom center of the front inner well liner and I'll have to figure out the back since the wheel house is too far from the tire. I do have a pair of CF tub liners that can be installed and the sensor can be attached to the leading edge of that. Those detail will have to be worked out.

As far as a real time display, I haven't given that any thought. I guess a numerical value of average temp across the two front tires can be shown as one of the bottom displays on the MoTeC dash when left in warm up or practice mode. That call will have to be made by someone with a much better understanding of what is and isn't possible.

As you can tell, this is totally a work in progress.
Sorry - I misunderstood. I thought you were going with the AIM single sensor system. FYI - My front sensors are at the top of the tire built into the wheel well cover so they still work with the wheels turned. My rears are in front of the tire to minimize debris impact. In one season I have lost several sensors already due to debris. The real time display is cool as it gives you reliable information in terms of the best techniques to get temps into the tires.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I've found displaying tire temps or pressures can be a bit of a mixed bag. I've seen some drivers need that verification to have the confidence that the car will handle the inputs they want to deliver and it improves their performance. I've also seen other drivers hold back temporarily or worse, for significant portions of a session, because they thought the car would not perform. In other "blind" tests, I've found that most drivers do not have an accurate sense of when the tires come up to temp and pressure. In my experience, they have the "feel" the tires are ready to go before they actually do. Many do their best laps at that point.

Point being - I think Ross Bentley's idea of "Fast Fast" and being able to get up to speed as soon as possible is the right one. Drive the car to what it can take, not what you think. Use the data for engineering, setup, and evaluation after the fact, but don't let it limit your performance.

Quick Reply: Adding Tire temp to AIM system