Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Data Acquisition and Analysis for Racing and DE (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de-233/)
-   -   New version of Porsche Track Precision available! (https://rennlist.com/forums/data-acquisition-and-analysis-for-racing-and-de/926506-new-version-of-porsche-track-precision-available.html)

FergusH 03-30-2016 03:28 PM

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Porsche has released a new version of the Track Precision app. Several people on Rennlist worked directly with Porsche to troubleshoot problems and beta test the new version.

My experience is that the updated app fixes all my problems and is a great improvement. According to the release notes (and my experience with the beta version), here's what has changed:

- Support for the new Porsche 911 R with customized graphics
- Fixed the issue that deleted records occasionally
- Interrupted video recordings will now be post processed and saved
- Bug fixes when using Sport Chrono
- Automatic naming of tracks
- Display of the connection to the VBOX Sport in GPS menu
- Support higher resolution and frame rate
- Minor bug fixes, performance and stability improvements

I'm glad that Porsche is putting resources into the app and I hope they keep up the good work. Maybe side-by-side video comparison or a companion tablet app someday?

Here's a link to the iOS version of the new app:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pors...on/id906372410

Here's the Google version:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...recision&hl=en

You should be able to update the app too, using the regular update options on your phone. (Personally, I like to delete and reinstall if I've had problems with an old version; just make sure to backup any data you want to keep.)

Thanks

nlpamg 03-30-2016 03:57 PM

Thank you!

The app has been GARBAGE for me. I ran four sessions at the track this weekend and it only recorded ONE lap.

I hope this works now.

Joe Weinstein 03-30-2016 04:33 PM

Uninstalled the previous, installed the new. It does mention 911R etc. Boy will the
bug fixes be handy when my GT4 is delivered! :)

Errsomeone 03-30-2016 05:21 PM

Thanks for the note. Glad to see the Porsche representative that reached out was true to their word. It does give me some hope that the app will be improved upon.

Though, upon quickly testing a few of the bugs I reported... My brief findings:

Export: now working reliably for both vbo and Track App file formats (vbo was previously consistent and Track App was failing before)

Import: Fails from e-mail transfer but works when moving the file through iTunes. However, I thought it failed since the app took a long time to import a single session of 11 laps over nearly 30mins. Though it did eventually load correctly, and included correct profile for GT4 where previous app versions like to import as a GT3 for whatever reason.

Actual use for logging... I am hopeful given the Porsche rep did respond in detail about the lost laps bug that I suspect nlpamg is referencing.

Originally Posted by nlpamg (Post 13153772)
Thank you!

The app has been GARBAGE for me. I ran four sessions at the track this weekend and it only recorded ONE lap.

I hope this works now.

I have seen this bug in the prior version (1.5??) and found a work around that consistently worked for me... After each session:
1) After pulling off track I selected to stop in the app
2) Immediately check the data summation (really just #laps and duration) to confirm logging
3) Exported a .vbo file before doing anything else
4) Sometimes then this bug would appear as noted (frequently after attempting to export the native app file type)

As nlpamg and others have noted: In the prior version sometimes the session would fail and only list one lap, but this would occur after I already had exported the .vbo file so all the data was reviewable in CircuitTools. Since I use CT for actual review, the workaround I used was acceptable.

The new version shows promise but already have encountered a couple items. Hopefully, they remain minor and the prior larger bugs are no longer.

Joe Weinstein 03-30-2016 05:28 PM

I hope I hear positive feedback from Android users...

FastLaneTurbo 03-31-2016 04:47 PM

Any chance the 2014 GT3s can be retrofitted with the Track Precision App if they have Sports Chrono?

twlai 07-11-2016 07:51 PM

any chance that this functionality can be enabled on 991S without sports chrono???
the car has all the data and bluetooth is runnig, it is just a matter allowing the app to talk to the car.

FergusH 07-11-2016 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by twlai (Post 13443692)
any chance that this functionality can be enabled on 991S without sports chrono???
the car has all the data and bluetooth is runnig, it is just a matter allowing the app to talk to the car.

I'm sure Porsche could do anything but I think this is very unlikely: Track Precision uses WiFi, not Bluetooth, to communicate with the car's computer. It think it would be a major upgrade to add Track Precision to a car that doesn't already support it.

ProCoach 07-11-2016 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by FergusH (Post 13443940)
I'm sure Porsche could do anything but I think this is very unlikely: Track Precision uses WiFi, not Bluetooth, to communicate with the car's computer. It think it would be a major upgrade to add Track Precision to a car that doesn't already support it.

Isn't it an$1800 option?

FergusH 07-12-2016 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by ProCoach (Post 13443958)
Isn't it an$1800 option?

Yes! Ironic, isn't it? I'm not too bitter: my car was one spec-ed by the dealer so I didn't have the opportunity to not pick Sport Chrono. I probably wouldn't feel so charitable towards Porsche if I'd picked it, based on the promise of Track Precision.

twlai 07-12-2016 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by FergusH (Post 13443940)

that's too bad..
any aftermarket tuning that can hack and enable it?

i know bmw forum has many tool to hack the computer and enable $$$ features

FergusH 07-12-2016 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by twlai (Post 13446580)
that's too bad..
any aftermarket tuning that can hack and enable it?

i know bmw forum has many tool to hack the computer and enable $$$ features

I think it would be unlikely: I suspect that the GT4 without Sport Chrono is also lacking the WiFi hardware. Without the WiFi hardware, no amount of hacking is going to make Track Precision work.

But I'm just speculating; perhaps all GT4s have WiFi hardware and Sport Chrono is just a software change.

Errsomeone 07-25-2016 06:37 PM

Another new version (1.6.1) is available in Apple's App Store now.

I have only spot checked a few of the errors I had been reporting to the P reps but looks promising. The Racelogic VBO export files are working better and a manual focus setting to prevent the autofocus getting confused are two items that are worth noting. Have yet to check VBox Sport connection but the errors I reported P acknowledged working on and should be present in this release.

Good luck

Joe Weinstein 09-12-2016 04:04 PM

Any news on the Android update?

Hi all, any update on a new revision? I have the android version, latest,
and it drops more of my runs than it keeps, and the one it did keep stopped
recording data an 8th of a mile from the finish!

It did record all the videos for the 15 (separate) laps I ran, from the
press of the 'start' button, till after the designated finish, where it (most of
the time) asked me if I wanted to stop recording (yes, and confirm), and
then (mostly) brought up whether I wanted to save the run (yes).

Then when I get home, there's 15 vids and one recognizeable file I
exported as a .vdo file for circuit tools, and it wasn't even one complete
lap (started where the start was marked, but finished *way* soon.

GPS was external, a VBOX Sport, and the app reported very good GPS
signal, and the VBOX got all the data.

nlpamg 09-13-2016 02:48 PM

I've found that in order for the app to be at its most reliable, you need to go into airplane mode and then turn on wifi and bluetooth again. If you get a text or email while on the track, it's done.