Notices

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 11:39 AM
sushisean
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an iPhone XS and a RAM mount. The app is finicky and needs to be reset after every few sessions, once even the pcm needed to be reset. Also the video and data aren’t always in sync, but it works well 80% of the time and that’s better than nothing for me.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:01 AM
A/S
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

...found some useful information.

The Vbox Sport is only supported in iOS for the PTPA.

For Android, these are the Porsche tested devices:

- Qstarz BT-Q1000XTM (5 Hz)
- Qstarz BT-Q1000EX (10 Hz)
- Qstarz BT-Q818XT (10 Hz)

Tested a RAM Mount with a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7.0", and it was spot-on every time, but the internal GPS is far from good compared to a dedicated GPS antenna. I will test with the Q818XT once it arrives (tomorrow). Switched to a Tab A with 32Gb, as the 7" only has 8Gb and despite of adding a 128Gb SD card, the PTPA, Race Chrono, HLT get installed in the main internal memory, and nearly ran out of memory.

The Qstarz was less than $80, the tablet is on sale for $129, the RAM mount another $50. Cheapest data acquisition combo I have purchased, including my old Traqmate. My plan is to use the tablet as main camera (it has 15 hours of battery power), and I can watch videos with embedded data in between track sessions.

I re-tested with the iPhoneX, VBox Sport, and no car data is getting to the video. It still reports lap times, and records non-shaky videos (with the 8mm magnet), but I need the data to help me setup the car (mostly sway bars based on understeer/oversteer PTPA information for a given racetrack).

Old 04-10-2019, 08:34 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by A/S
...found some useful information...
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are getting close. The iPhone X problem is a mystery indeed!

Once you get the 10 Hz GPS going, check out your line going around curves at a decent pace to see if data points are actually coming in at 10 Hz and doing what you would expect (forming a smooth curve). My lines are still chunky so I have yet to resolve something...
Old 05-20-2019, 01:13 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

I purchased a GoPro Hero 7 Black and fixed it to the harness bar in my GT4. Today in the Malibu canyons I wanted to give everything a test run before I head to Streets of Willow on the 31st but ran into some issues. I had PTPA connected to my GTA via WiFi, I then went to select the external camera which is my GoPro and it asked to switch over to the GoPro Wifi which I did. At this point it let me select the GoPro and the configuration but then to start recording the "Track session" I had to switch the wifi back to my GT4... I'm quite confused on the process. Are there any steps on how to utilize the PTPA with a GoPro and also how do you export the files out so they can be overlaid?

Additionally, I don't see the Streets of Willow on the PTPA, is there any way to import this track, I assume its in the database as even MotorTrend does all their testing there.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:51 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The Porsche Track App....is a total piece of ****e....or you can put this into Porsche company speak...PPTA is a POS....
Old 06-16-2019, 10:48 AM
tgale
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if anyone knows a quick fix but my iphone upgraded to the new version and now all my recordings are in km....I can not find a "setting" that can change back to mph. Help!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:14 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgale
Not sure if anyone knows a quick fix but my iphone upgraded to the new version and now all my recordings are in km....I can not find a "setting" that can change back to mph. Help!
I saw the new version (3.0.2) last night - looks like it has been out for 3 weeks. I manually update all my apps and chose not to get the new version until I came here to see if it preserves all the old data. Looks like it does not. Hmm.

I see a review by KevinGT4 online. Says the new app is terrible compared with the old one. I don't get it - as someone in the software development business, how can Porsche do this? Did they fire the entire PTPA staff that were finally converging to a useful app and hire newbies who are clueless?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Just noticed that the 718 GT4 ClubSport comes with PPTA enabled...
Old 07-07-2019, 11:40 AM
sushisean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aryork
I saw the new version (3.0.2) last night - looks like it has been out for 3 weeks. I manually update all my apps and chose not to get the new version until I came here to see if it preserves all the old data. Looks like it does not. Hmm.

I see a review by KevinGT4 online. Says the new app is terrible compared with the old one. I don't get it - as someone in the software development business, how can Porsche do this? Did they fire the entire PTPA staff that were finally converging to a useful app and hire newbies who are clueless?

All my old data came right over. So far it’s working at least as well as the old version
Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 PM
minstemagnus
4th Gear

On my 991.1 the app fails to record any new data. Does not pick up VBox Sport like the old version did. Something seems to be broken with GPS in 3.0.2 version. All worked perfect in 2.4.3 for several sessions. I think the app looks promising, so hope an update will sort this out soon.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:44 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minstemagnus
On my 991.1 the app fails to record any new data. Does not pick up VBox Sport like the old version did. Something seems to be broken with GPS in 3.0.2 version. All worked perfect in 2.4.3 for several sessions. I think the app looks promising, so hope an update will sort this out soon.
Yes, GPS is broken for track/start finish use. The app does seem to still link with VBox Sport, but will show "---" in place of iPhone and greater accuracy. Though, previous versions did always correctly show VBox. It also recognized that I was at Watkins Glen and while on pre-grid it noted range to start finish in what seemed correct, so some location elements seem to work. However, I could never get it to register a lap, thus no logging of any kind with PTPA, with VBox Sport, with iPhone GPS, with custom made track.

While I their face lift may appear more friendly, I am not sure that the analysis features are an improvement. I didn't dig too much into the app since they broke the core reason to use it but did look at prior logs to see what else they changed.

In all, whomever they have working on the app has made the v3 as useless as most message boards previously noted of earlier releases. However, the last v2 version worked quite well.

After being a proponent and helping get others working with PTPA am ready to ditch for a VBox that is reliable.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
After being a proponent and helping get others working with PTPA am ready to ditch for a VBox that is reliable.
Be glad to help with that...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-07-2019, 06:54 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
In all, whomever they have working on the app has made the v3 as useless as most message boards previously noted of earlier releases. However, the last v2 version worked quite well.

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for the next version (or next). I'm also waiting for Peter Kraus' signature to say "Part time software developer at Porsche" and then we'll know what is going on!
Old 07-07-2019, 09:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My interest is piqued. Anyone use this infrared beacon for their PPTA equipped car? Good Lord...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...WUECvVMo4wZ-04
Old 07-24-2019, 11:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I wish this app would be simple to use and just work with a camera like a GoPro. I looked at all the AiM and V box stuff...very expensive and confusing to operate and set up to me.

I had Race-Keeper back in 2014 and it was horrible...awful video and getting to turn on and stop was a pain. Reading the squiggly lines worked well but trying to line stuff up with the video was a pain and at the track I just gave up on the whole thing. So I am a little gun shy to waste anymore money and time on something I full do not understand.

Quick Reply: New version of Porsche Track Precision available!