Notices

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Fantastic! Thanks for the report!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Sectors at VIR will help a lot - glad those are in.

I posted this in another thread, but here is a quick video on how I got 2.0 to work.

Possible secret tricks are to close out *all* other apps and reboot your phone before starting the first session. Then, as many have said, go airplane mode with only wifi and BT. I used a Dual160 precision GPS, and it worked well. When stopping recording of a session do it before you come into the pits - I believe every time I waited to stop the recording session until I got into the pits, it failed to save data (note: my experience with that was on V 2.0).
Old 04-13-2017, 12:22 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

the new version fixes vbo data/video export. even for existing recordings.

it does not provide the ability to edit/add sectors in the porsche provided maps. i think the sectors you are seeing in circuit tools come from the circuit tools database when it recognized the track.

in TPA i also had tried to export a map and then reimport it but that fails as the track already exists. the maps seem binary encoded so I haven't been able to figure out the identifier and change it to see if that would fix it.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
i think the sectors you are seeing in circuit tools come from the circuit tools database when it recognized the track.
This is true.

Open the Circuit Wizard in CT2 by clicking on the checkered flag icon top left, another dialog box opens and you can select the number of sectors, how they're computed and even insert custom sectors. Then "Save track to file."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am running the Android 2.0.1.1 on a Samsung S7.

This weekend I could get it to freeze, just by installing it, deleting the provided record, then from the main screen, pressing 'records' again.

I was getting external GPS from a VBOX Sport. The app said 'very good connection', and the phone and VBOX were within 2 ft of each other. The site has no trees, with a broad unobstructed sky. The first day I did 10 runs, and when I checked the records, the app only captured a fraction of each run, so I deleted the track and records in frustration. The second day I was careful to set the track start and finish while walking it (therefore phone GPS for that part), and the start and finish were about 400 ft apart, and at 90 degrees one from the other. This site is a concrete rectangle with 20 ft visible squares, so visual placement via the map and satellite view seems very precise. I also videoed independently with a GOPRO, and recorded the GPS independently with the VBOX. Yes, I ran in 'airplane mode', turning on wifi and bluetooth.

I pressed 'start' at the stage/start, and I pressed STOP at the stop at the finish. In each case the app wanted to confirm the stop. Then I saved the run. Each of the four runs I have, have multiple large gaps in them. Each video shows the start, and has two very similar big gaps in the middle, picking up to show the end. Maybe the app is losing the bluetooth GPS, always in the same two places? Is that why the video drops out too? Odd.

So, this is still unusable for American autocross. I would be *happy* to work with the developer, sending them the full independent GPS, video, and the application track, data, and video to compare/debug.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Joe, did you look at the .vbo's generated on the VBOX Sport, separate and away from the PTP app, in Circuit Tools 2?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Joe, did you look at the .vbo's generated on the VBOX Sport, separate and away from the PTP app, in Circuit Tools 2?
I'll do this tomorrow. Mind is fried temporarily after every full race day.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

OK, I can't leave it if you're interested. The .vdo files are perfect.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
OK, I can't leave it if you're interested. The .vdo files are perfect.
Hmmm. So the VBOX Sport is working correctly...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

I took out my phone memory and found the raw videos. They are all fine and complete. I then exported the .vdo files from the phone and the one I looked at was broken, just having the first perhaps 15 seconds, then a straight line to the end.

I tried exporting the track, in case Porsche was ever interested, but pressing the export button on the track management page froze the app. I restarted and exported the track, if they care, if it matters.

So, it looks like the app will quit when the GPS data is done/not available. It would be good if it switched to car GPS or phone GPS on-the-fly as a backup when it loses bluetooth data. Also, when I tried exporting video, it went through capturing the screen as it overlaid car input icons onto the video. It said it stored it somewhere about 8 directories deep, which I didn't jot down, but the video did quit when the GPS data had. I wish it would overlay all the wifi-obtained car/user input, which presumably didn't stop, for the whole video. And I wish the app would go the full step and actually get the export done to email, drop-box, youtube etc, not just copy to some storage place not of my choosing.

The app should be able to export the wifi-obtained car data independently... I can see some of it in the .vdo snippet it produced, and there are a number of named data, some of which are useful ('pedal pressure' seems to be throttle), and many which are named but no data. 'engine charisma' etc.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:25 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Latest efforts, version 2.0.1.1, still garbage on Android at least...

When I watch the overlain video on the phone, it's clear that the car data is very poorly synced with the video. The steering wheel is way behind, and in autocross it's laughable to see it seconds off in a rapid slalom, and see the speed reported as 30 mph as you stop for your time slip.

Facebook Post
Old 06-01-2017, 01:02 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

joe I recommend posting that unsynced video on the Facebook post a while back that was advertising the app. I think Porsche looked at that feedback as suddenly a few things got fixed after that
Old 06-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

done, posted to the "Porsche Cayman GT4" group and to the "Porsche" group.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:51 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Update on new version 2.0.2 on android

Good news and bad news...

Good: Now, when the app crashes, a feedback option pops up, allowing you to email some system data, along with some text you can enter!

Bad: It is very easy to discover this feature. Simply start the new version and press the 'records' tab and it freezes. Let it sit there for a minute and the helpful feedback box pops up.

The ready state seems to flit in and out, between all green and all red. This version is so unstable I was unable to get one clean start.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Version 2.1 has been released for iOS. While I have not yet used it to log I have installed it and noticed a couple useful features.

1) iOS airdrop is now included for Export --> Worked nicely to transfer a prior event from last month to use the larger screen on my iPad to review.

2) External camera trigger (?) --> Have not yet tried but both Sony and GoPro are listed. This may have been in an earlier version that introduced importation from external cameras but this was the first time I took note from the Video Settings screen. Hope it works as I use a Sony external cam as well.

I'm sure someone else will try logging before I get a chance to but the spot checks I did look promising. Otherwise, the export of VBO data synced with video previously released has made this a powerful app.

In the prior version, I only experienced one crash during a session at my last event and none in the one before that. With all that said, I do see the external GPS component as almost a requirement since the one time I overlooked turning on my VBox Sport the app got confused using the phone's slow GPS and logged a couple laps as if they were one.

So long as it remains stable and consistent I will be happy.

Quick Reply: New version of Porsche Track Precision available!