Notices

Where does a Vbox get its speed measurement from?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:55 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Where does a Vbox get its speed measurement from?

I know that a Vbox Sport gets velocity information from GPS but where do the more expensive Vbox units get speed from? CAN?

I'm wondering because I was playing with the Vbox Sport today, connected to Porsche's Track Precision app. I exported the data from Track Precision as a Vbox vbo file, copied the .vbo file from the Vbox Sport and compared the two in Circuit Tools. In the screen captures below, the blue line is from the Vbox and the red line is from Track Precision. There are some big spikes in the Vbox data and it's wrong: I wasn't really going 110 mph in my neighborhood! I mapped the spikes and they are from places on my route where there's heavy tree cover; so probably, the Vbox Sport lost coverage for a moment and it resulted in bad data.

Vbox Sport data

Track Precision data

The spike really isn't an issue, as none of the tracks I'm likely to drive at have any tree cover. However, it did make me curious about where a more expensive Vbox gets velocity data from.

The second interesting thing I noticed was the difference in the two .vbo files. I probably should have realized this but the Porsche one includes all the data that comes from the car's ECU, via the Sport Chrono package and its WiFi connection. There's lots of data, each field listed under "[header]". My favorite is "charisma damper"! I don't know if these are standard .vbo data fields but Circuit Tools does show them when you open the Track Precision vbo file; cool.

.vbo comparison: Vbox Sport on the left; Track Precision on the right

Lastly, I noticed that if I overlay the two .vbo files in Circuit Tool they get out of sync over time. If you look at the screen capture above, you'll see that I edited both vbo files so that they start at exactly the same time. (Look at the bottom, under [data]. The second value is time: UTC time on the left in the Vbox file; PDT on the right in Track Precision.) They don't finish at the same time because the Vbox records until the car stops, while Track Precision stopped when I drove across the finish line...but that shouldn't matter; they still should be in sync. Any ideas? Perhaps Circuit Tools uses elapsed time and not absolute satellite time, so if there's missing data, there will be a gap.

Overlaid .vbo files. Blue is Vbox; red is Track Precision.

Ok, I'm going to go put a cool towel on my forehead; this was too much data!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, I would also like to resolve your difference over time... As one said, "A man with a Rolex may always be sure of the time. A man with two Rolexes is never sure..."
Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Send Lucie an email in the UK.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-18-2016, 04:33 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Can you PM me her email address?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Support@racelogic.co.uk I believe
Old 03-18-2016, 04:35 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Can you map the satellites channel with the speed to see if you are losing GPS when the speed spikes?
Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Ah, that's a good idea! Yes, there is a match; not 100% but along with knowing where on the route the thick tree cover is, this definitely suggests the GPS signal was lost:

Speed on the top; satellites on the bottom.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

pretty sure it's smoothed GPS Velocity. You have to pick which CAN data the VBOX Lite and Pro pick up. As far as I know, all systems do the same (AIM/Traqmate, etc). You can look at velocity from CAN if you pick it as something that gets recorded, and then look at the trace, just like any other channel of data, but the software uses GPS for the speeds you see in other places.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:03 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I know that a Vbox Sport gets velocity information from GPS but where do the more expensive Vbox units get speed from? CAN?

I'm wondering because I was playing with the Vbox Sport today, connected to Porsche's Track Precision app. I exported the data from Track Precision as a Vbox vbo file, copied the .vbo file from the Vbox Sport and compared the two in Circuit Tools. In the screen captures below, the blue line is from the Vbox and the red line is from Track Precision. There are some big spikes in the Vbox data and it's wrong: I wasn't really going 110 mph in my neighborhood! I mapped the spikes and they are from places on my route where there's heavy tree cover; so probably, the Vbox Sport lost coverage for a moment and it resulted in bad data.

Vbox Sport data

Track Precision data

The spike really isn't an issue, as none of the tracks I'm likely to drive at have any tree cover. However, it did make me curious about where a more expensive Vbox gets velocity data from.

The second interesting thing I noticed was the difference in the two .vbo files. I probably should have realized this but the Porsche one includes all the data that comes from the car's ECU, via the Sport Chrono package and its WiFi connection. There's lots of data, each field listed under "[header]". My favorite is "charisma damper"! I don't know if these are standard .vbo data fields but Circuit Tools does show them when you open the Track Precision vbo file; cool.

.vbo comparison: Vbox Sport on the left; Track Precision on the right

Lastly, I noticed that if I overlay the two .vbo files in Circuit Tool they get out of sync over time. If you look at the screen capture above, you'll see that I edited both vbo files so that they start at exactly the same time. (Look at the bottom, under [data]. The second value is time: UTC time on the left in the Vbox file; PDT on the right in Track Precision.) They don't finish at the same time because the Vbox records until the car stops, while Track Precision stopped when I drove across the finish line...but that shouldn't matter; they still should be in sync. Any ideas? Perhaps Circuit Tools uses elapsed time and not absolute satellite time, so if there's missing data, there will be a gap.

Overlaid .vbo files. Blue is Vbox; red is Track Precision.

Ok, I'm going to go put a cool towel on my forehead; this was too much data!
What is your X-Axis? Distance or position?

Edit - nevermind, looks like time actually. Seems like there is something different between how each file is indexed to time - try using a different X-axis and see if they sync back up.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
pretty sure it's smoothed GPS Velocity. You have to pick which CAN data the VBOX Lite and Pro pick up. As far as I know, all systems do the same (AIM/Traqmate, etc). You can look at velocity from CAN if you pick it as something that gets recorded, and then look at the trace, just like any other channel of data, but the software uses GPS for the speeds you see in other places.
In AiM you pick the reference channel for speed. GPS is most common today, but you can use whatever you want.

Quick Reply: Where does a Vbox get its speed measurement from?