Notices

Difference in time between Mac and Windows Circuit Tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:39 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Difference in time between Mac and Windows Circuit Tools

If I take a .vbo file from a Vbox Sport, open it in Circuit Tools for Windows, then open the same file in Circuit Tools for Macintosh, I notice that there's a difference in lap and total times. Here's an example:

I can duplicate the same issue with any .vbo file: from my Vbox Sport, or Porsche Track Precision, or a .vbo file I find on the Internet.

Does anyone know why?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2016, 01:03 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 870 Likes on 430 Posts

Have you asked VBox about the issue? That is the logical place to start.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 AM
FergusH
Pro

Yes. I posted here and emailed them at the same time.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:32 AM
tentenths
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it might have something to do with the interpretation of the track start stop coordinates. Visually I really like the mac version but functionally the pc is much better. Hopefully a refresh of the pc side and feature parity on the mac side will arrive soon.

As a test you could see what the lap time is in another program and which ct is closer mac or pc to that. Maybe try Racerender, Dashware or Racechrono.

I suspect all will be slightly off and just call it a day and use the pc version until the mac version is equal.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
If I take a .vbo file from a Vbox Sport, open it in Circuit Tools for Windows, then open the same file in Circuit Tools for Macintosh, I notice that there's a difference in lap and total times. Here's an example:

I can duplicate the same issue with any .vbo file: from my Vbox Sport, or Porsche Track Precision, or a .vbo file I find on the Internet.
Fungus, thanks for looking into this following our conversation. I am glad that it is not only me who is seeing this behavior.

Originally Posted by tentenths
it might have something to do with the interpretation of the track start stop coordinates. Visually I really like the mac version but functionally the pc is much better. Hopefully a refresh of the pc side and feature parity on the mac side will arrive soon.

As a test you could see what the lap time is in another program and which ct is closer mac or pc to that. Maybe try Racerender, Dashware or Racechrono.

I suspect all will be slightly off and just call it a day and use the pc version until the mac version is equal.
While the actual rational would most appropriately be from RaceLogic, the note from Tentenths is similar to what a representative from Porsche's App team wrote to me. However, it is clear that the Mac version calculates lap times differently than the Windows version. The Mac Circuit Tools version's (newest) times correspond essentially the same as what is reported from the Porsche Track Precision App, AND confirmed by manually timing through reviewing the video recorded on my helmet mounted cam. The Windows (older) times are NOT correct for me and citing faster than actually run by multiple seconds.

Since the Mac version is citing the correct lap times I am discontinuing use of the Windows version for now and look forward to RaceLogic's notes.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:05 PM
FergusH
Pro

Here's what I got back from Racelogic. It doesn't explain what I'm seeing but I haven't yet had time to get back to them yet:

"Thanks for your email. There can be a discrepancy of one sample between the lap times calculated in Circuit Tools OSX and Circuit Tools for Windows.

This is mentioned in the history file for Circuit Tools OSX which can be found here."
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Considering the OS X release IS a public beta, I would make sure to compare runs in each, as opposed to cross platform...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Difference in time between Mac and Windows Circuit Tools