Notices

Solo DL setup for predictive mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tomorrow will be my first event (Sebring again) since asking for help with this two weeks ago. Thank you both for the input. I'll let you know how it went on Monday. Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:35 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you set up predictive timing so that it always compares to the best of the day and not the best of the session? I have a Solo and not the DL if that matters..
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

I followed Pro Coach's suggestion for setting up +/- mode yesterday prior to driving up to Sebring for today's event. It displayed +/- best the whole way up and then this morning while driving from IOTL to the track. When I headed out for my first session it appeared to switch to Static mode and I thought "darn", but it displayed the +/- value on my second hot lap and continued to do so all day. That was great as it was one less thing to setup each session so I never did try Pred T mode.

My DL is mounted in the lower left hand corner of the windshield and I'm pretty tall so looking at it anywhere but on a straight involves lowering my field of vision more than is optimal however I found it very useful after losing time due to traffic after having to slow in braking zones and through corners as the group I ran with didn't allow passing in corners in the advanced group. I could see how much time I lost after passing on the subsequent straight and then see if I could reduce that amount through the next set of corners with no traffic. I guess it is a sign of progress that I am gaining time under braking and through corners now after years of only gaining on other cars that I was faster than on the straights. It's a lot more fun now.

I have data, but no video alas, that was generated by RP, CH (not Harris) and KMW driving my car at Sebring at last winter. All of that data was gathered at much lower ambients than what we've had down here the past few months but my suspension was pretty much stock then. I suspect they would all be at least a couple seconds quicker now in it at the same cooler temps due to suspension and setup improvements. It's very clear when comparing my data to theirs that my line around around Sebring is relatively cool but I loose significant time in the faster corners (1, 10, 13, Bishops and 17) compared to them. The simple remedy is the well known "less brake, more gas" but how do I use data to overcome my hesitancy when surrounded by concrete walls?

I am finally comfortable enough to go to full throttle in 2nd exiting 10, upshift (PDK) to 3rd and stay flat until the braking zone to 13 but still lift entering Bishops even though the car feels stable. All the drivers listed above as well as some other guys in cars similar to mine that are quicker are basically flat (as shown by data, not anecdote) through to the barking zone for 15.

Any ideas (beyond LB, MG) on how I can try to use data to over come this trepidation? I have a GSum math channel that I got from ProCoach's and / or Matt's previous posts / sites but can't figure out how to use it. Is this an "Ask the Coach" issue?

Thanks in advance. You guys are a great help!

Last edited by Cloudspin; 09-27-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-28-2015, 10:43 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope this isn't hijacking this thread, but I'm looking for advice on something Cloudspin said. My car is a 2011 Carrera S, 6 speed, street tires and I'm using aftermarket anti-roll bars. Coming through turn 10 in 3rd gear at Sebring my rpm is around 3,125 and the car lags as I accelerate. I'm been thinking of trying 2nd gear through the turn. If my calculations are correct, at the same speed my rpm would be about 4,475 in 2nd. Torque at 3,125 is about 270 ft lbs and at 4,475 it's 310. The engine produces 310 ft lbs until 6,500 rpm when it then starts to decline. While the car should accelerate faster using 2nd, I'll lose a little time adding another 2nd to 3rd up-shift.

Does my turn 10 analysis sound correct. For whatever it's worth, I enter Bishop's at 100 mph and about half way through start accelerating until the braking zone for 15. I'm not ready to try going through Bishop's with the "pedal to the metal."
Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

My home track is Sebring and my Aim Solo DL trigger is set to speed. My first lap rarely records correctly. It records as a shortened lap and therefore appears as my best lap thus making PredT of no use. Anyone have a suggestion on how to eliminate this problem?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by RichFL
Coming through turn 10 in 3rd gear at Sebring my rpm is around 3,125 and the car lags as I accelerate. I'm been thinking of trying 2nd gear through the turn.
That's a good idea. Watch to make sure your throttle application is progressive...

My home track is Sebring and my Aim Solo DL trigger is set to speed. My first lap rarely records correctly. It records as a shortened lap and therefore appears as my best lap thus making PredT of no use. Anyone have a suggestion on how to eliminate this problem?
Hmmm. In analysis, I just look at enabled laps only. Sure you don't have two start finishes in the track database?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hmmm. In analysis, I just look at enabled laps only. Sure you don't have two start finishes in the track database?
I haven't seen this on the track, but it happens in RS2 Analysis. Like Peter, I just disable the short laps (usually out and in laps). That way it doesn't mess up the segment analysis.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:05 PM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I too eliminate the "short laps" in RS2. My question pertains to the Solo DL when it's in the car and I'm in Predictive +/-. I believe that's going to compare my current lap to my best lap which would be one of the short laps. I forget what speed triggers recording when the unit is using a speed trigger, but perhaps I can try to trigger it at the start/finish line while coming down pit lane to get onto the track?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks for the responses. I too eliminate the "short laps" in RS2. My question pertains to the Solo DL when it's in the car and I'm in Predictive +/-. I believe that's going to compare my current lap to my best lap which would be one of the short laps. I forget what speed triggers recording when the unit is using a speed trigger, but perhaps I can try to trigger it at the start/finish line while coming down pit lane to get onto the track?
Speed trigger is 10 km/h (6.2 mph).

You shouldn't have to do that. Will ask around and do some testing myself.

I have seen this (on my own equipment) and understand your issue.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Mine starts displaying the +/- value on my 2nd full lap.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have also seen this happen at one of the tracks I visit. Ending up with the best lap being 0:42.xx constantly showing (so no lap time improvement shown by the Solo), while actual laptimes are around 1:58.xx. On the device while driving, that is, not in RS2.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I have also seen this happen at one of the tracks I visit. Ending up with the best lap being 0:42.xx constantly showing (so no lap time improvement shown by the Solo), while actual laptimes are around 1:58.xx. On the device while driving, that is, not in RS2.
Only thing I can think of on the Solo is that there are two tracks loaded.

Connect to GPS Manager, delete any other start/finish that is not known (and any other start/finish for the same track with a different configuration ON the device, NOT in the database. Execute and try again...
Old 10-09-2015, 07:36 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was not the issue
Old 10-10-2015, 09:50 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

On a lot of tracks the entry point is somewhere before or after the start/finish line. Isn't that going to automatically record the first lap as a short lap?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

On a lot of tracks the entry point is somewhere before or after the start/finish line. Isn't that going to automatically record the first lap as a short lap?
I have RSA set up to display only complete laps - crossing start / finish two times. My out and in laps won't appear in RSA unless I click on them in lap manager. My DL will display a lap time upon passing start / finish the first time after my out lap (the start of my first complete or "hot" lap) but I don't pay any attention to it of course as I know it doesn't reflect a full lap. This is probably no help at all.

Quick Reply: Solo DL setup for predictive mode