SmartyCam HD - Finally I got good Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
Hrm, I just went to great lengths to run the wires through the dash and center console and on testing the system I'm finding he same thing. There is a noticeable 1 kHz whine. I searched around a couple of the sound design, audio, and computer forums, and it looks like this is most often an issue of on-board power supply and DACs interfering, usually on the device/board itself. This means there's is probably not much to be done other than get this feedback to AiM.

I'll try messing around with the gain and other soft settings, and maybe playing with some grounded shielding anyway. If the diagnosis above is correct it would make sense that this is pretty common, and that using the cable from the DL with the jack, connected to an externally powered mic would work. But how could AiM release the external mic with that interference issue? The question is not outrage, it's hope that there is some configuration that works a bit better.

I have the SC HD GP, with the external mic wire from the SoloDL, which is, in turn, wired into the CAN directly. Any ideas or info?

Edit, also, I'll try the trick from the OP in case that will let the device record with less gain, and send the whine deeper into the background. (Hey, it's a theory)
Out of several hundreds of of this combination I have sold and have in service, I have heard of this occurring less than half a dozen times. This only means it's not endemic to this setup, hence probably not a design fault of AiM.

It sounds to me like the easiest fix is is a simple car stereo power supply choke fix. Something to isolate the alternator whine (leaking diodes) from the power supply? I'd try that first.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

It sounds like it would only be with the external mic, and the frequency sort of rules out an issue with the car's power supply. If it were a weakness of the design it would be interference between the voyage converter to power the external mic and the DAC on the same logic board, right inside the SCHD GP unit itself.

Like you point out, it's an unsubstantiated but educated guess, and your experience and reply easily helps disprove that guess! Just double checking that you have had many external mic add-ons with the GP unit that have been whine-free?

I'll mess around with it a bit and come back with what I find.

BUT, while I have your attention I also don't see the brake indicator in the SC display. I'm assuming there is just something that isn't configured correctly there that I can find and fix, since I'm wired into the CAN and see throttle, rpm, speed, and all that.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
BUT, while I have your attention I also don't see the brake indicator in the SC display. I'm assuming there is just something that isn't configured correctly there that I can find and fix, since I'm wired into the CAN and see throttle, rpm, speed, and all that.
Which car? Which configuration on the Solo DL?
Old 03-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Which car? Which configuration on the Solo DL?
Excellent question! I'll start a new thread and leave this one to Audio quality and debugging.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD - Finally I got good Audio