Notices

SmartyCam HD - Finally I got good Audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 AM
Curves
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SmartyCam HD - Finally I got good Audio

New on this forum. Autocross a 2012 MX-5 Miata. Posting here since you guys talk about the AiM products over here.

I got the unit on Friday. I love the automatic data overlay which is why I purchased it.

I was really really disappointed with the Audio like many others. I have the CAN cable with integrated MIC.

Playing around, the internal MIC was better than the external.

OK so bad cable? Then I looked at the cable/MIC and compared it to the MIC from my other camera. My other MIC had clear holes at the top of the MIC. The MIC on the CAN cable had holes filled up with yellow stuff. I unscrewed the top and it was packed with foam. I guess they wanted that to block wind noise? Well, it also blocks audio!. I tested it without the top and just put a regular small foam windsock over it. Now I have great Audio!

I still have to play around with Optimal Positioning for best sound and least Wind Noise. I have gain set to Manual with one setting above zero. Zero was too low gain, Two was too much gain. For now it is better than my Drift Ghost HD with external MIC which I was happy with.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Good news!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

Awesome. Great news for folks having trouble with the external mic audio.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:49 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'appreciate the tip. Wouldn't have dismantled the mic without this.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

quick question .. where do i find the page to adjust the microphone gain for either internal ( SC-HD bullet) or the mic integrated into the power or CAN cable.? is it in RS2? THANKS frank

matt/peter i updated the firmware.. which solved the huge background noise buzzing. but testing it at speaking levels in cockpit ( engine off, in garage) the unit still barely picks up my spoken voice ... i would like to play with gain on internal mike before i get the external ones.

thanks frank
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,347 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneman

matt/peter i updated the firmware.. which solved the huge background noise buzzing.

testing it at speaking levels in cockpit ( engine off, in garage) the unit still barely picks up my spoken voice ... i would like to play with gain on internal mike before i get the external ones.

thanks frank
Frank, pretty common not to be able to hear too well spoken voices in a non-running test. Try it on the track.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

I agree that people normally find the audio a little quiet sitting still, but on track it's at a good level. If you want in vehicle audio, the best way is the I/O Port adapter.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:20 AM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

thanks guys copy that! best wishes frank
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Curves
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the MIC mods I made in the first post, this is how my audio sounds. The MIC is located close to the passenger seat belt buckle. Great engine sound, no wind noise. At the end, listen to the speaking from me and those outside of my car.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

I still was having issues with mine but just tried out a powered lav mic. Audio-Technica ATR3350IS. $22 on amazon and it gave by far the best audio (ok, still not great, but acceptable). I forgot to turn on the power to the mic and got the same electrical whine/interference. Next time out I turned on the power and it was much better. Wanted to pass it along.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Where is the built in mic on the SC HD?

I wonder how good something like this might be?

Amazon.com: Micover Stickover-Mini Universal Windscreen for DSLRs, Phones, Laptops, Small Video Cameras: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Micover Stickover-Mini Universal Windscreen for DSLRs, Phones, Laptops, Small Video Cameras: Musical Instruments
Old 01-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
Where is the built in mic on the SC HD?

I wonder how good something like this might be?

Amazon.com: Micover Stickover-Mini Universal Windscreen for DSLRs, Phones, Laptops, Small Video Cameras: Musical Instruments
Good idea, but I have found the built-in mic to be worthless. All non-powered options produced what appeared the be engine electrical interference for me.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:00 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine seem like ONLY wind noise

Old 01-25-2016, 01:03 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kk2
That is exactly what mine was doing as well and when I tucked the mic away it made all the electrical whine. Try the $22 powered mic, it should help hugely and Amazon is great about returns if you hate it.
Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR3350IS Omni Lavalier Microphone for Smartphones: Musical Instruments Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATR3350IS Omni Lavalier Microphone for Smartphones: Musical Instruments
Old 03-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Hrm, I just went to great lengths to run the wires through the dash and center console and on testing the system I'm finding he same thing. There is a noticeable 1 kHz whine. I searched around a couple of the sound design, audio, and computer forums, and it looks like this is most often an issue of on-board power supply and DACs interfering, usually on the device/board itself. This means there's is probably not much to be done other than get this feedback to AiM.

I'll try messing around with the gain and other soft settings, and maybe playing with some grounded shielding anyway. If the diagnosis above is correct it would make sense that this is pretty common, and that using the cable from the DL with the jack, connected to an externally powered mic would work. But how could AiM release the external mic with that interference issue? The question is t outrage, it's hope that there is some configuration that works a bit better.

I have the SC HD GP, with the external mic wire from the SoloDL, which is, in turn, wired into the CAN directly. Any ideas or info?

Edit, also, I'll try the trick from the OP in case that will let the device record with less gain, and send the whine deeper into the background. (Hey, it's a theory)

Quick Reply: SmartyCam HD - Finally I got good Audio