Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default MXL2, MXG, MXS and RS3 Update

A new firmware and RS3 was released this morning for folks with one of the new dash loggers. It's available in RS3. The big news is you don't need an internet connection to update firmware anymore.

Here is the full list of updates.

Software Race Studio 3.05.00
- New web updates management: now it is possible to download device firmware even if no device is connected. Devices will be updatable once connected.

- Now it is possible to show odometers and lap times information on the display and to remove undesired fields.

- Improved start data recording management in order to avoid possible recording failure conditions due to lap channels and odometers.

- New encryption management for the configuration of CAN2 and CAN1. - Added math channel to use precalculated gearings.

- Introduced 'Clone' possibilities for configurations.

- Fixed decimal figures management in analysis of drks from MXG-MXL2: now all places in which a channel is shown are coherent.

- Improved autoselection management of xrk files in download window. - Improved test properties and forced values management in RS3 download window.

- Improvements and fixes in management of deletion of alarms and math channels.

- Minor improvements in user interface.

- Minor improvements in the configuration of MXL2 display.

Firmware MXG - MXS - MXL2 1.14.38
- Date/Time automatic synchronization to GPS time in addition to PC, preserving time zone setting

- Odometers and lap times can be used as generic display measures - Implemented exit timeout from Messages and Popups according to configuration - New menu system: Date time (Time zone, DST, time format), Odometers, System Info

- CAN 1/2 encrypted format management - alarms/event management improvement
Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Just used this at the Glen! Nice new menus and the preconfigured gears are encouraging. Did not work the first time perhaps because my channel names were mismatched.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 05-11-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I haven't had trouble with the gear calcs, but the pre-configured gears will be nice.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:11 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't had trouble with the gear calcs
You must live a clean life....i've never been able to get them to work :-)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jwasilko
Neither have I. In dozens of cars, including my own.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:46 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your going to make me climb in to my trailer to update the dash :-) before this weekends race. While I really could of used the off-line feature I really don't want to be the first person to try it :-)
Old 05-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default MXL2, MXG, MXS and RS3 Update

Originally Posted by ProCoach

It's my AiM secret. I've had it working since early April with no trouble.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A secret doesn't help solve the problem every user (and every dealer I've spoken to, including folks like Roger and Doctor Dave on the worldwide distribution list) has experienced. I haven't heard anyone but Robbie at AiM (and now you) who's been able to make it work. That's not good. Hence this fix.

This solution is a good one and will allow me, other dealers and, most importantly, the end users to configure their dashes with no guesswork and be guaranteed results. Thank goodness.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A secret doesn't help solve the problem every user (and every dealer I've spoken to, including folks like Roger and Doctor Dave on the worldwide distribution list) has experienced. I haven't heard anyone but Robbie at AiM (and now you) who's been able to make it work. That's not good. Hence this fix.

This solution is a good one and will allow me, other dealers and, most importantly, the end users to configure their dashes with no guesswork and be guaranteed results. Thank goodness.
I didn't do anything special. Went into the dash, told it to do the gear config, then drove in each gear for about 5 seconds. It worked perfect from then on. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I set it for 20 Hz and to use a wheel speeds sensor, not GPS.

I don't think it was Dave that had trouble, but more Ron. Ron's problem is the constant changing of drop gears. If people aren't changing gears all the time, the old calculated gear method will work fine. For folks who are changing gears all the time, the new method will be great.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:51 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Count me in the camp where the gear calc never worked. No problems in RS2 on my MXL. Never could find the "start gear calc" on RS3 or in the buttons on the dash.

Anyways. It sounds like the precalculated gearings is in the math channels. i don't see that after updating RS3. All I see is bias, bias with thresholds, and linear correction. I still have a gear calc from previous versions, but it doesn't have a place to enter any data. I asked from when I first got it to be able to enter my max RPMs, all gear ratios, diff ratio and tire size to get the calculated gear right. I hope this is what they added (and somebody can point me to it as I don't see it).
Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Make sure the firmware is upated to 1.14.38, then you will be able to see the new channel choice on the configuration screen.

I "received" the config, added and set up the PreCalc Math channel, saved it and sent it back after the update. It didn't work. I then discovered a channel name mismatch between ecu_RPM and P911_RPM in the config and the math channel. Renamed the log channel the same as the math channel measure and tried it again.

All is well.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:39 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Updated the firmware. Don't see any new math channels. Still same 3 as listed in my last post.

I see the gear calc if I start a new config. Can't modify old config. Grrr.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Originally Posted by gobuffs
Updated the firmware. Don't see any new math channels. Still same 3 as listed in my last post.

I see the gear calc if I start a new config. Can't modify old config. Grrr.
Did you try 'receiving' the config from the dash as a new config? Hoping that might help.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Yeah tried that...didn't work.

Rebuilt config (took an hour with all the stuff I have)...then I figured out the issue....you can't have 2 different gear math channel strategies enabled at one time. Since the config already had the gear calc from before, the others didn't show up. So when I deleted the previous gear cal from the config, then that option and the new option showed up.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 AM
jwasilko
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't had trouble with the gear calcs, but the pre-configured gears will be nice.
Originally Posted by gobuffs
Yeah tried that...didn't work.

Rebuilt config (took an hour with all the stuff I have)...then I figured out the issue....you can't have 2 different gear math channel strategies enabled at one time. Since the config already had the gear calc from before, the others didn't show up. So when I deleted the previous gear cal from the config, then that option and the new option showed up.
Thanks for sharing that. Wish this stuff came with some sort of release notes....

Quick Reply: MXL2, MXG, MXS and RS3 Update