Notices

GPS discrepancy - AiM

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 12:39 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do now, I did see you on Saturday tho, didn't I ?

V

Originally Posted by Texas RS
Viking,

You have probably realized that I am not at the track today. We can catch up sometime.

T
Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I was there yesterday. You were busy on Stein's car when I came by.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Yes, I was there yesterday. You were busy on Stein's car when I came by.

Cool, I had to make sure I wasn't imagining things.
Yep, still sorting out a few things on his "Pumpkin" new car, it's a nice car tho and once sorted all out it should be fast. I believe he qualified 16th out of 40 or so in SPB, it was his third lap in the car and his first ever PCA CR event, so pretty damn good in my opinion.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Cool, I had to make sure I wasn't imagining things.
Yep, still sorting out a few things on his "Pumpkin" new car, it's a nice car tho and once sorted all out it should be fast. I believe he qualified 16th out of 40 or so in SPB, it was his third lap in the car and his first ever PCA CR event, so pretty damn good in my opinion.
Michael is a very good driver. Congrats to both of you.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by mglobe
Michael is a very good driver. Congrats to both of you.
Thanks, from myself and Michael.
It sure was nice to be back at the track !
Old 03-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Viking,

It was good to see you back. Stay away from those eight legged creepy crawlers!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I've been looking into this some. I'm finding from session to session my AIM data is relatively consistent, but it is off from Google Earth coordinates, while the Vbox data is correct. I don't see a whole lot of issues with the AIM data within the files, just relative to Vbox and GE. After some experimentation, I've found that if you subtract .0001 degrees from the Longitude, the data matches up pretty damn accurately. Seems like some sort of firmware issue, but that's a SWAG.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

I've been looking into this some. I'm finding from session to session my AIM data is relatively consistent, but it is off from Google Earth coordinates, while the Vbox data is correct. I don't see a whole lot of issues with the AIM data within the files, just relative to Vbox and GE. After some experimentation, I've found that if you subtract .0001 degrees from the Longitude, the data matches up pretty damn accurately. Seems like some sort of firmware issue, but that's a SWAG.
Interesting. I can't find the excerpt, but Roger had a section on GPS where he overlays the AiM data on Google Earth maps from various years and you can see where the GE data changes from year to year. Very interesting about the longitude looking like it's shifted.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Interesting. I can't find the excerpt, but Roger had a section on GPS where he overlays the AiM data on Google Earth maps from various years and you can see where the GE data changes from year to year. Very interesting about the longitude looking like it's shifted.
Anyone who has compared Traqmate at the same track from year to year has seen that shift/drift.

MoTeC has some interesting information about refining the accuracy of their RaceGrade GPS module information that I have found useful. That configurability is not offered in TM, AiM or VVB.

I think same day/session line comparison can be useful, but have found timing coordinates comparable across wide stretches of time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've got data from tow SOLOs on the same day, and an Evo4 from several weeks earlier, and they all show the same longitude "error" relative to GE and Vbox. It's not gps drift I don't think given that it persists. Once you shift the data .0001 drug to the west, it looks fine.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 PM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

If the shift is constant, it sounds more like a GPS datum problem.
The AIM might be giving positions on a different grid.

Check if there's anything in the preferences of the AIM software to change the datum.
Google maps uses WGS84.

-Guillaume
Old 01-19-2016, 10:42 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tabasco
Mike,

If the shift is constant, it sounds more like a GPS datum problem.
The AIM might be giving positions on a different grid.

Check if there's anything in the preferences of the AIM software to change the datum.
Google maps uses WGS84.

-Guillaume
Good point. I'll look into it.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

I've got data from tow SOLOs on the same day, and an Evo4 from several weeks earlier, and they all show the same longitude "error" relative to GE and Vbox. It's not gps drift I don't think given that it persists. Once you shift the data .0001 drug to the west, it looks fine.
Mike,

The data you sent me also seems to have a bias to the north as well.

T
Old 01-20-2016, 03:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Mike,

The data you sent me also seems to have a bias to the north as well.

T
You are correct. It actually appears to be of about the same magnitude. I will have to look at my other data to see if that is the case there as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

I had lots of trouble with my AIM Solo DL at COTA recognizing start/finish on the smartycam, and when I looked at the GPS data it was off by hundreds of feet. Lots of 20min laps

TexasRS printed out some nice 11x17 laminated COTA maps with reference lines from his VBOX on them - turned out perfect. Great teaching tool.

I'm not sure if people know this but Racelogic (company behind the Video VBOX) makes some of the world most accurate GPS data acquisition devices for automotive engineers. Here's an excerpt of a description of the GPS tech in the Video VBOX:

"Velocity and heading data are calculated from Doppler Shift in the GPS carrier signal, providing users with unparalleled accuracy. For example, over 10 tests between two light barriers placed exactly 1000m apart, the VBOX will report a distance within ±2-3cm, on every test, and the average comes out to within less than 1cm. Impressive for a device using satellites 18,000kms away!".

For the first time I have been able to compare lines via overlays. Could never do this with AIM, Traqmate, or G2X.

Quick Reply: GPS discrepancy - AiM